Paper bag drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper bag drying

I’ve seen people comment about using brown paper bags for drying plants after harvest. Anybody have a link or some info about that? (I’m not sure if I have a way to dry plants that stays at right temp/humidity)

cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

I've done it. No problems. Have a great grow.!!
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you 👍

In a pinch, brown paper grocery bags on Amazon. This is a great way to dry mold free.

Comment

Paper bag method works well. But you may still have to manipulate your temp and humidity. I prefer 68 degrees and about 55% humidity. I hang mine in racks made for drying. But as soon as the outside starts to feel dry I place them in boxes about an inch or so deep. Here they stay until they maintain about 62% humidity. This is where I slow down the drying process to protect terpenes. It is usually 2 or 3 days in rack and I aim for another 10 in boxes. You just open and close the box as needed to increase or lower the humidity. Brown bags can be used the same way as I use boxes.
      You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        I too use cardboard boxes, works great!

Here’s a pic of the temp/Rh in my large shed. You can see that my avg temp is 19.5C with Rh avg of 37.8%. I can’t do a whole lot more to the room to add heat or increase humidity. I’ll also note that these numbers are during a week where we are still barely above 0C during the day and -10C at night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4821355F-B697-44F5-9D8F-0082AF1AC77A.jpeg
Views:	756
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	351108

I can’t bring the harvest into my little house to dry. What I might do is use an old temporary clothes closet that we have sittin in storage.

Name:	20378F2E-A640-40A7-9F2D-D218ABB032AE.jpeg
Views:	648
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	351109

Name:	6134B05C-740E-4FED-A269-291EB7717E99.jpeg
Views:	659
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	351110

Its not airtight and not good at blocking light. I could drape a tarp over it to keep light out. But controlling temp and Rh would be a challenge.

Comment

• Spidermite
        Spidermite commented
        Editing a comment
        I am really glad you posted that picture of the portable clothes closet. My first inside grow was in one of those painted black inside and outside (to block light,.,) I then painted the inside bright white. I grew 4 plants in it. I think I got 9 quart jars from it that time but it worked and was free. I continued to use that clothes closet for a very long time. Long after I had greatly expanded. But that is still my favorite tent.

Your temps look fine. With low humidity you could just hang the whole plant minus fan leaves and then do a dry trim. This will slow the drying process down and help mitigate the lower humidity.
      You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Thanks Spidermite. Greatly appreciate the input. Glad I could bring back a happy memory.

I didn’t think about the dry trim option. Maybe I’ll add a plate of water in there just to help bring it up a bit more.

Comment

It's awesome that Spidermite's input on paper bag drying brought back a happy memory for you.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you parinoid Cautious ? Do you grow weed or just trolling ?

If you can hang a wet towel and let the bottom sit in a tray of water even better...or get an ultrasonic humidifier..they work great..go for one that holds over a gallon of water
          Grow Room: 11' x 7' x 7.5'H, 480w AC, 13gal/day dehumidifier, 1.5gal ultrasonic humidifier, 60gal (27gal usable) nute tank, 16" pedestal fan & 18" wall fan. Lighting, fertigation and climate automated
          Lights: 2 x SF-7000, 5 x 30w 660&730nm supp. red boosters for flower
          Medium: Coco/perlite, 13gal pots for photos, 7.2gal pots ¾ filled for autos, no drains
          Current Grow: ​​​4 x Autos Franklin's AK47 x Red CBD, 1 x Photos Franklin's Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel, 1 Franklin's White Widow x Sour Diesel, All feminised. 1 x sativa, I think, regular, Clones 30th March 5 x Orange Zkittles x Sour Diesel fem
          Last Grow: 4 x photos, old school, 66 days of veg flipped 25 Feb harvested day 65F 3lb11oz.
          Previous Grow: Lots of big dead mouldy buds, medium and small buds made it, barely. Primarily indica traits from sativas.. Cured in glass jars.

Comment

It's always great to connect with others and share experiences. Adding a plate of water to help with the drying process sounds like a clever idea, providing a little extra moisture if needed.

And your mention of the three essential things to check when growing in hydro is spot-on! Monitoring the water level, pH level, and ppm/EC level ensures the optimal growth and health of your plants.

By the way, do you have a favorite paper bag with handles that you like to use? It's always fun to find reliable and convenient options for various tasks.​
            Last edited by larisaguseeva; 05-18-2023, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X