Cannabis Oil vs Hash Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannabis Oil vs Hash Oil

I’ve been wanting to start using my trim for making extracts. I’ve only ever really used flower. I recently tried some scissors hash in my Pax 3 (using the concentrate insert). The flavor was the best I’ve ever had. I loved it!

Originally I was just going to buy a small rosin press. My understanding is that rosin is just a form of hash oil. Does this mean that you should only press hash, or is rosin pressed from plant material considered hash oil, too? Or is that not a thing?

Anyway, I was interested in a press, but then alltatup and Farmall turned me on to the Source Turbo. It claims to make cannabis oil. Is that different from hash oil? Less concentrated? Which is better, generally? What makes the $600 Source better than a $300 rosin press? Also, roughly how many grams of cannabis oil does the source extract from an oz of good flower?

Also, does cannabis oil contain lots of terps like my scissors hash did? If I could vape something that lovely all the time, I’d be a happy boy. How about rosin? If these do have lots of terps, why is live resin so popular? Does it have even more terps?

Concentrates can be so confusing. Thank you all!
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Hey s62 so you read my note. I like your question and have minimal superficial answers due to the fact.... I was going to make those same choices and went with The Source. The Source is a solvent based form of extraction and will extract the oil by removing the alcohol solvent and leaving a concentration of the plant materials behind. Depending on how far your “reduce” the extraction, you can still have alcohol or “solvent “ still remain in your end product. You have several options on taking the process further and completely removing the solvents and most of them are straight forward easy mechanical processes. Wax and shatter result.

complete solvent less processes would be from your press. There remains no solvent. The color is more like a golden amber but I have read needs the correct time,heat and pressure to achieve. Beyond that, I have no experience YET. I was looking at presses and they are so inexpensive ( not ) and I question whether or not to go that far. I am older and weaker so I look for either the hydraulic electric pumps or air compressor pump type. I live with two torn rotator cuff’s and washing my hair or putting a quart of milk on the refrigerator top shelf is a chore these days.

recovering the Everclear solvent is so cool to watch. Frankly a simple scientific principle but watching it is a bit mesmerizing. the guy I told you about demos his process and so do the articles in the other site.youve got me reading again but I am overloaded and my brain hurts ( thanks Mr.furley for defining that syndrome in another post). Maybe we need to keep comparing notes

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm...I might have to make some to try it out. I do enjoy a small shot or two during the dark winter months.

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      YYCannabis Simple to do. Peel the yellow lemon skins but avoid getting the white pith underneath. Use a nice sharp vegetable peeler and do about 10-20 lemons depending on your volume. Add the Everclear to the lemon peels and let them soak for about 4-5 days. Stir or mix 2-3 times a day. Strain the peels out of the Everclear and add sugar to sweeten the taste. warning: use a small glass to drink 🍹

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll get the Mrs. to add lemons to the next shopping trip.

s62
    you can make dry ice hash or bubble hash then press that for a solventless hash oil.
    Bubble Hash and Dry-Ice Hash are two of the most popular extracts you can make from cannabis! But which is better? Find out which hash deserves your time!

Rosin is a potent, solventless cannabis concentrate that is most popular when used by itself as a "dab". Learn how to make press your own Rosin at home!

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      But is rosin always made from pressed hash, or can you press plant matter/flower and get a similar product? If yes, how is rosin pressed from hash compared to rosin pressed from flower or trim? Is the hash rosin stronger?
      Again, I’m wondering if there’s an actual qualitative difference between cannabis oil and hash oil. Is rosin from hash stronger than oil from the Source Turbo?

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      You can just smash nuts but you get a cleaner prod out and a high concentrate starting with hash.

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      I make ghetto rosin every once and a while from flower. Now not every flower is good to smash tho. It has to be dried and cured first off or the rosin wont be salvageable and i've found some strains are just not very good. I use a hair straightener and parchment paper but i dont do more than a nug at a time just to do a dab every now and then. There are lots of vids on youtube on making rosin and they have some pretty nice machines that do it on a larger scale.

But as always, Mr furley is right. Its cleaner and better product when starting with hash tho i love smashing me some nugs!

s62 Jeez, ask many questions???!!!

Here's how I went through the process of deciding what machines I needed: I began by looking at rosin presses because I was looking for the purest product possible. Then when I researched the Souce machine, I decided that it was much more versatile than a rosin press. I can make a very pure wax or sap for vaping, FECO (or RSO) and tincture in the Source. Rosin press does one thing only (albeit very well, if you get a good one).

I've never heard of anyone pressing trim in a rosin press; if you decide to try that, these rosin press bags are fantastic: https://www.korlor420.com/organic-silk-rosin-bags/ I use them to make a really clean bud wash.

Yes, Cannabis oil is different from hash oil: C. oil is FECO: full extract Cannabis oil--it's dark and isn't for vaping or smoking; it's for oral or rectal use.

I don't know how many grans of hash oil you get from an oz. of bud: it would totally depend on the bud, ya know?

As for preserving terpenes, this was another main reason why I decided to go with a Nova decarboxylator machine and the Source: the latter recycles the alcohol at a temp between 80-100 degrees F, so there will be some aroma loss, but low temperatures was at the top of my list of important qualities for a machine to have, because I also wanted to preserve terpenes.

Heat's always going to involve some loss of terpenes, but different terps evaporate at different temps.

Have you ever made dry ice hash? It's quite easy and there's no heat involved. https://www.growweedeasy.com/dry-ice-hash

You may find this interesting on different types of concentrates: https://keytocannabis.com/what-are-c...on-techniques/

This guy taught me how to use the Source: https://extractcrafter.com
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      s62, she got me too with that rectal thing🤪 when using the source, you can run this stuff down to a very very viscous almost paste like consistency. Or, leave it like to oil it finalizes at which is pourable. If going further to a wax like product, Then it is recommended to purge the remainder and I do use it in the Pax. Did you get the photo I sent in the pm?

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      s62 Since you're wanting stuff to vape, this post will show you how I used the Source: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-sap-from-trim

This was before I made sap: I made vape cartriges with MCT.

You can't vape or smoke the green stuff, i.e., the oil: it's too contaminated with plant matter and will make for a lousy experience. I primarily make tincture, which I love: it's a strong, long high in the morning before I go to work. But I made some Cannabis oil capsules for friends, who were high all day on that. Too strong for me: waaaaaaaaay to strong, but they loved it.

Farmall Rectal Cannabis suppositories: https://extractcrafter.com/2017/05/1...sting-results/

It's a truly viable way of taking medicine, and it has made Cannabis medicine available to lots of very sick people. Read the post; you'll be fascinated.
      Last edited by alltatup; 11-16-2019, 06:36 PM.

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep... I’ve read that before and even saw the molds on Amazon. Fortunately, we don’t need that kind of administration and I’m hoping not to but it is a way to dose. I’ve read that extractcrafter site so many times in fact I have also made the diatom filter puck to ultra filter the wash and it came out very golden and clear. People also pose for very intriguing questions. Some are just plain “lack of reading” but he has a far reaching following.

Quality is priceless!

PurePressure Longs Peak Premium Heat Press with Automated Pressure Control - 10" x 3" Plates 8 TONS of Force! - Made in Denver, Colorado https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NKXRDWN..._yEc0DbR6WGSQR

Hope everyone's doing well. Been working on the basement and should be ready to go by February.

I wish everyone the best and hope everyone's doing well...✌️

​​​​​​

​​​​Organic Grow, kind Soil, Foxfarm Ocean Forest, , Perlite.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

AC Infinity Axial Fan Driver Coolers

Ventilation AC Infinity 6"

Carbon Filters AC Infinity in and out

Root Trapper 2 Smart pots 7 gallon

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I suppose if production is where people are at that's fine. And so is the new apple mac book pro for $6500 lets buy one for every child sheeeeet

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, no chance I’m getting that lol!

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea but, it’s free shipping......and I thought the $2700 nugsmasher was pricey

I found a great article that answers a few more of my questions. Definitely worth reading; thanks to ATU for the term FECO. Hadn’t heard that before.
    As you probably know, cannabis oils are big business these days. Available all over the world and cooked up by thousands of different brands, they’ve become an everyday essential for millions. Of course, the fact that there are so many different types
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that website. That's why I like my tinctures dark, dark green (called Green Dragon).

You ought to try some tincture: it's a unique, amazing high. My favorite high. But you gotta decarb your weed before you put it in to soak in Everclear in the freezer. If you can afford it, the Ardent Nova is a precision machine worth the investment.

S62,

I was extremely interested after watching a YouTube video on pressing after running the dry ice shake system. The sky fell when I found that it was 10,000.00. there's lots of other methods for normal folk as myself just trying to survive. Was still really cool to watch and the product was incredible looking. Hey Farmall hope all is well and life is treating you well. Hope your doing well also Altat. Have a good evening everyone.✌️
    ​​​​Organic Grow, kind Soil, Foxfarm Ocean Forest, , Perlite.

​​Vivosun 5 x 10

Spider Farmer sf2000 X2

AC Infinity Axial Fan Driver Coolers

Ventilation AC Infinity 6"

Carbon Filters AC Infinity in and out

Root Trapper 2 Smart pots 7 gallon

Change your thoughts and you change your world.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X