Jiffy (Peat) Pots and transplanting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jiffy (Peat) Pots and transplanting

Should I remove my seedlings (when they're ready to Transplant) from my 4 inch Jiffy Pot before placing them in the hole I'll dig in the soil in my 7-gallon fabric pots? Or can I just place the whole Jiffy Pot directly in the hole of the 7-gallon pot? (which would be best?) Thanks!
    3'x3'x6' Cool Grow Tent and Large Wooden Cabinet
    3 and 5 Gallon Fabric Pots
    Coco Coir with 30% Perlite
    2-450 watt Vipar Spectra LEDs
    4" Exhaust with Vivosun Fan and Carbon Filter
    6" Oscilatting Fan
    GH Flora-Trio Nutes with Cal-Mag and GH Liquid Kool Bloom

"Why Do You Keep Banging Your Head Against That Wall?"
    "'Cause It Feels So Good When I stop"

hey Sledrock, if your talking about these Yes i would remove the plants from the peat pots before transplanting... I found out from my last grow that if you plant the pot and all, they do not break down very well, which leaves your plant in a tight root ball trying to get out of that peat pot. 2nd pic peat pots are still visible and i cut lots of holes and slices before i planted them. The plants will thank you. happy growing!
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Tent
    Bruce Banner
    Kushy Kush
    2Cookies and cream

Comment

• Sledrock
      Sledrock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Homegrown for the Good Advice! I'll definitely be taking the seedlings Out of the Peat Pots before transplanting...

BTW - how'd you get those seedlings to get such Thick Stems? Nice!

I use VipraSpectras, too and I Love 'em! Curious, how far do you keep your light above the soil when starting seeds? And do you use those Vipars or something else?

When I used Jiffy's, at 5-7 days after sprout, I would moisten bottom and lower 1/3 well, gently tear away and place in moistened, prepared (Great White myco) hole. Now I germ/sprout in Jiffy pellets, remove bottom netting and place in final pot the day after sprout. Good growing to you.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Sledrock
      Sledrock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Quirk - good advice! Good growing to you, too (and also to Homegrown, too)
      P.S, I tried to download your pics, but it was Slow and More Slow. Either there's a lot of people on here or your pics are super-sized :-)

Hey Sledrock, i dont use my 600's for seedlings or clones. i found a small 45w LED at a hardware store and have used it for starting all 10 seeds now and clones. Adjustable legs or you can hang it. im giving this little light a lot of credit lol! Root Farm is the name.
    Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
    Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
    6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
    Canna Coco/perlite
    General Hydroponics Flora Series
    Cal/Mag.

Tent
    Bruce Banner
    Kushy Kush
    2Cookies and cream

Comment

• WeirdWiredWolf
      WeirdWiredWolf commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooo, nice. Ima gonna get me one of those...eventually.

Sledrock i use peat pots exclusively. Once I see roots poking though the pot, I bury the pot in the permanent pot thus saving them the shock of transplanting. Been doing this for 10 years. I go from seedling to peat pot to permanent pot.

Comment

• Cloud
      Cloud commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive also been using peat pots that way with great success

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X