Root rot autopsy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root rot autopsy

After several attempts at getting rid of root rot on one of my DWC plants I just gave up and let it grow and when I saw amber triches I did the deed. I tried H. peroxide, GFF by Southern AG and UC roots. Also added MYCO+. The roots never really came back so I just let it ride and waited for some amber. I rarely had to add much water because it simply wasn't taking much . After harvesting I exposed the roots left in the peat pot and they were clean and sturdy. In hindsight, I believe I should have simply stripped the roots from outside the netpot refilled with the treated solution all the way up to the top of the bucket and then start over with nutrient solution including the MYCO+ up to an inch or so above the bottom of the net pot and just try to regrow the roots rather than trying to treat them. I would have then lowered water level once the new roots were in the water. Live and learn. Thoughts?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Sickly plant.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	348255Click image for larger version

Name:	Bud from sickly plant.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	316.4 KB
ID:	348253Click image for larger version

Name:	After attempts at treatment.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	348256Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside peat pot.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	348254
    ​​​​​​​
    Attached Files

Howdy smoorman, The only way that I have kept the root rot (or brown algae) under control is by keeping the water well aerated, cool (between 64°F and 70°F) with ice bottles, insulating the reservoir (part of the temperature control) with ice bottles, and blocking out all places where light can get in (including covering the pebbles in the net pots with aluminum foil). It may seem a little extreme, but it is easier to prevent it than it is to cure it!
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

smoorman I had one really bad case of root rot, and here's what worked for me: I put Grapefruit Seed Extract powder in my reservoir after I had removed each plant and rinsed the roots thoroughly under running tap water. I was able to remove all the gunk and expose the roots underneath. Then the GSE really knocked out the rot. I made it to harvest.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I had also tried rinsing the roots under running water but had never heard of GSE before. My 3 other DWC pots which were within 18" of each other never got root rot just this one.I'll probably go with 4 coco and 2 DWC this next time. DWC really has more potential but also a lot more maintenance. The buds this small plant produced seem really sticky so it will be interesting to try it in a few weeks.
        Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X