Signs of bud-fattening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signs of bud-fattening

I’ve got a plant that is showing amber trichomes, but I’m still seeing some new white stigma throughout the cola (except the very top, it’s all brown there). Got some similar stigma on another plant too (the purple one). Are they both still developing buds then? Should I wait until no more white stigma show up? The stigma doesn’t appear to be fox-tailing, so it seems like bonus bud? Debating allowing my trichomes to go further than usual in order to maximize yield.
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Pay attention to the main buds. You don't want to let them go too far, and have your THC degrade. When the main original buds look ready give her the chop.The plant second from the left looks as if it has a ways to go.

Nice looking plants. You're doing a helluva job.

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s the approach I would normally take, but on this grow, the yield is going to be small, so I want to focus on maximizing it, even at the cost of some of the THC. At least the Six-Shooter tests at ~23% so it’s got a lot to lose lol
      Also, thank you!

Good luck s62 I sure hope she gives you sleepy times. I've let some go to long and hermied, OK smoke but could of been better but that's how I learned.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

s62 Some buds just keep on putting out white stigmas in last ditch efforts to get pollinated. Take a close look at these ready-to-harvest buds and you'll see a lot of em have lots of new stigmas. https://www.growweedeasy.com/ready-for-harvest-pictures

Like check this one out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	purple-auto-flowering-bud.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	348329

Looking at all those pictures close up and repeatedly gave me a whole nother level of confidence about when to cut them down.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      So new stigmas don’t necessarily equal new calyxes? Oops. I think my six-shooter is probably due. I’ll post some non-trichome pics I took tonight and you can see what you think (that’s all I took tonight). She’s showing an easy 30% amber on a couple of the main colas at their tops. But then just 2-3 inches down, there’s no amber at all, and 3-4” down, there are still some clear.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      s62 new stigmas will only emerge from a new calyx; old calyces can't throw out new stigmas.

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks atu, wasn’t sure.

Well damn, I only took one. I’ll try to get some more (including trichomes shots), but you can trust me on the following:
    She’s showing an easy 30% amber on a couple of the main colas at their tops. But then just 2-3 inches down, there’s no amber at all, and 3-4” down, there are still some clear.
    Shes definitely still throwing new stigmas. If that means new calyxes, I’m in. If not, it’s time to chop.
    Thanks for your opinions!
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• Doubledealing72
      Doubledealing72 commented
      Editing a comment
      If she is 30% amber, I would take her down. But that's just me of course, everyone grows a little differently. Looking good!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Great buds!! Yes, like homegrown says, you can harvest in phases, I had to do that on my just finished grow, everything was cut down within a week.

s62 If you do cut off the tops, see what the trichomes look like down below.

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I may look into a staged harvest. These plants are so small, I didn’t even consider it, to be honest. But as small as they are, they’re still all over the place maturity-wise.

I have to do this even on outdoor grows, harvest in sections as the mature. I'd of been thrilled to see 30% amber. Good luck
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

s62 sounds like you’re there. By progressively cutting the exposed buds, you can leave the “less mature” buds on the plant and they will be the major light gatherers for a few days or so. Also bear In mind that the published characteristics are achieved under ideal grow conditions. I have not been able to get anything tested but I have had 24% THC and 17% THC that really seemed to be the same to my sophisticated palate 😉
      Last edited by Farmall; 11-10-2019, 08:49 AM. Reason: Autocorrect

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, no telling how much THC I’ll really hit. Bet it’s fire, though. As for the small buds, I definitely want them to plump up some more. I’m just worried about the main colas, too. I hate to stop them if they’re still throwing new bud. I think I’ll get some more pics today to share with you all.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those sure are pretty, what else have you used with your KindSoil?
        How many days old is she?
        When I used KindSoil, every leaf was yellow, and I top dressed alot.
        Beautiful plants, It want hurt anything to go a little longer , but thats up to you, an how you like it.
        GoodLuck with whatever you decide to do,

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Daas, as always thanks for your input! I’m about to upload some more pics, but I think I’ve decided to let it go for awhile longer. I want to see if maybe 4-7 days doesn’t see those stigma curl in and trichomes go a little more amber.

Here’s some fresh trichome pics, as well as one of the whole plant. Turns out I’m not seeing as much amber as I thought, but there’s still a good bit. Given all the new calyxes (or however you spell it), I want to give this one a little more time to fatten up.
      Agree/disagree?
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the kind words, folks! I’ll continue to let her mature. I’m going to check again tomorrow, and then every 3-4 days after that. DAAS, oddly enough my first grow (also with KindSoil) never yellowed, but then again I was in 18-gallon pots, with 18lbs of KindSoil per plant! Maybe I didn’t hit the end of the nutes on that one!

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        It takes a few grows to get used to KindSoil, he's got it down to a t,
        I've found most people don't follow his directions, like they should. They want to add other stuff, when they see a little yellowing, that's why you see tip burn on alot of their grows, when you shouldn't.
        Back when he was giving away free KindSoil, if he saw tip burn on some of their pictures, he wouldn't give them any free soil. Cause he knew they were adding other stuff.
        I always used more Ksoil, in my pots, in the beginning, than I was supposed too. Not getting runoff, is the trick, if you want it to last, then still you might have to topdress.
        You got some pretty buds, nice job.
        I like the taste and potency, of the final product, grown organic.
        Pretty easy to make your own soil, if you got the room.
        GoodLuck with harvesting and curing,

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve gotten tip-burn (so maybe nute burn?) on both of my KindSoil grows. The only thing I added to my first was one round of compost tea. Tips were burnt before that though. Weird.
        Yeah, I avoid overwatering for sure. And definitely not to runoff!

D.A.A.S.69 when you top-dressed your kindsoil, what did you use? I have several grows with it and something you said struck a chord. It YELLOWS heavily towards the end. As I am waiting for amber trichs sometimes 2 weeks ... it turns so yellow on some strains, by the time I’m ready to trim, I only have 8-10 leaves to pull off... and they come right off. I’d like to try a top dress next

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Farmall morning old bud, I just used 3-4 handfuls of KindSoil on top and watered it in slowly, amount depending on pot size.
        At least an inch or two maybe 3inches. I only topdressed ,when I knew they were turning yellow to soon, from my mistakes of getting runoff,
        They are supposed to turn yellow, by harvest, damn near every leaf should be yellow, even the main stalk.

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks D.A.A.S.69 that’s my only concern, the entire freaking thing goes yellow as you describe. And , I do not over water and REALLY watch that I don’t over water. Looks like fall foliage in Michigan, only all yellow, ‘cept the buds. 😆

• Cloud
        Cloud commented
        Editing a comment
        So glad i clicked into this thread lol. Finishing up my first kindsoil grow and i have one auto that didnt flower for nearly a month after the rest and its hungry. Thought i was gonna have to chop it a month early but thanks to you D.A.A.S.69 i might make it to harvest. Didnt know i could top dress more kindsoil and get a few more weeks. The other 6 came out awesome btw but didnt get the yields i need.

s62, looking great ! I think you’re in the ball park. Great pictures and as I expand them, I see some well formed heads, stalks, and amber trichs...

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X