Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluorescent shop lights good enough for seedlings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluorescent shop lights good enough for seedlings?

I have been using standard fluorescent tubes F32T8SP65ECO normally used in shop lights etc. for my seedlings. This of course to save on the electric consumption. This consumes only 96 watts as compared to much more from my T5s, LEDs, and 315 CMH. I have had good success with this lighting. However I have ordered, in fact arriving today, special tubes specifically designed for indoor growing.
    These are quite pricey coming in at nearly $10.00 a tube in a pack of 6. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...9167/304736401 I am trying to decide whether to return these newly purchased tubes, and continue with what I've got, or utilize these new tubes. This very interesting article tells me to dump the new lamps, and stick with what I've got. https://learningandyearning.com/can-...to-start-seeds Being an utter cheap skate I am tending to agree with the article. What's your take on it?

Not so much now (have a different setup) but I started many a bag seed under fluorescents shop lights. The two footers worked great in my grow area. Once I saw a few roots popping out, I put them into the big lights. Never was an issue.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Yes I agree. I don't believe the spectrum that these new lamps deliver would be much different than the 6500 K tubes I am presently using. Maybe DrPhoton if he's around might offer his expertise.

Comment

I use 24watt t5 lights. Works great
        You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

I have an 8 tube 4 foot T5 fixture which is great for vegging when i do an indoor. It has a switch allowing turning off half of the tubes, but that's 54 watts X 4 yielding 216 watts which is over double the T8 grow light. Not efficient enough for me. I am a hyper miler,and own a Prius.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X