1st indoor grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st indoor grow

hello my friends, i was wondering if my 2 day old plant was growing to tall between the first set of leaves and the soil. I took a pic, this morning with the light on, and this is how it looked. anyone know why? what about the plant? the light manufacture recommends 18" for veg.

Looks fine. I’ve only germinated 7 seeds, but they were all about that height for the first true leaves.

As for light height, your plant will let you know if it’s too low or too high. Watch for tip burn at the top (light too close) or node stretching when the plant is growing spindly with too much space between nodes (light too far away)...adjust light as needed. Depending on what brand of light, the manufacturers directions might be accurate, or might be total bull Sh!t 😉

Your plant will tell you what it needs better than any instructions from any source.

Cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

hey john, seedling looks really healthy, maybe a little stretch. You say light manufacture says 18" for veg but you still in seedling stage now.. What kind of lights? are they dimmable? If so you could turn it down and move it closer. dont want it to get tall and spindly.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

thanks guys, i appreciate your comments. my light it not dimable. its a california light works, solar extreme 250. do you think it would hurt to build up some soil around her?

Comment

I do that all the time, every thing buried will grow roots,,, I even cover branches.

Comment

I had my plants in my new tent stretch when i first started the plants, new light and setup and all. I ended up tying mine down but like you said you can instead build up some soil or if you were going to repot you could bury some of the stem at that time. Your light was probably a little far away when you started, but when growing with a new light or setup it happens until you can find the sweet spot. Homegrown is right, i would raise my lights a little higher than the 18" until they have at least one, maybe two sets of true leaves. Seedlings are easily burnt by light. Other than that she looks fine! A tad stretched but not too bad. Mine were way worse before i pinned them down.

Comment

18" is usually what they stamp on the box or set of instruction. Depending on where you got the light from, it's either bullshit or accurate...it's a complete coin toss. Good general rule of thumb is to start at 24-36" to start. Your plant will let you know. With LED lights it's hard to gauge distance since the light is focused straight down compared to HPS, CFL or even regular Edison incandescent bulbs. Rwise is right, you can always cover up the stretchy stalk and it'll be fine. I noticed on the picture that the little seedling is in a huge pot. Be very careful in how you water it. Tersky sent me a great link on which pot to use, how to water in a big pot etc. Not a bad idea to check it out. It's on the website so you should be able to find it easily enough. Good rule of thumb is when the leaves grow out over the edge of the pot, it's time to upgrade to a bigger pot. Seedlings do well in a small solo cup, then to a one gallon, then to a 3 gallon. The final home for me is usually a 5 gallon (though this time I'm thinking about a 4 gallon). The final size of the pot depends on the size you want your plant to be. Just like a fish, it'll grow proportionately to it's environment.

Comment

thanks guys! wow, so much to learn. my second seed just popped up, so i have two plants, both in 3 gal fabric pots. I had read the less transplanting the better. this is my first indoor grow, so we'll see how it goes. i'll keep everyone posted. thanks again!

Comment

Just for a little bit of information when growing your seedling in their final pot: https://www.growweedeasy.com/choose-right-pot. Keep in mind that you may notice slower growth being in the big pot since a lot of the plants energy is being used to develop roots. Anyway, there's a lot of differing opinions out there as to whether or not to start off with a big pot. Personally, I've always started small then gradually moved to bigger pots. Gives me a chance to get my hands dirty and be hands-on. but in the end, if it works for you (or not), then take it all as a learning experience. Find out what works for you, what doesn't work, and what things you can chance for your next grow. It's a wicked experiment and shit loads of fun to grow, manipulate, add, take away, change and watch your creations grow. So nevermind the bullshit, just have fun growing!!!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X