Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st indoor grow

good morning my friends,
    i'm starting my first indoor grow. my seeds have just cracked open, and i'm going to stick them in the soil. so my question is; when to i turn the light on? now, or do i wait for them to break the surface?

What kind of lights are you using? If CFL or T5 i would go ahead and turn them on. If led, im not sure. You can turn on HID's like MH, HPS and CMH but just have them a little further away than you would for a plant. The light produces heat which does aid in germination, but if it is too intense, the seedling, not having adequate leaves to convert light to food, will be baked essentially. If your lights have dimmers i would dim the lights to about 25-50% until the first or second set of true leaves appear then increase the intensity. If you notice any stretching move the lights closer. I personally have the lights on as soon as the seed is planted. If you have a heating mat to aid germination i dont think you need light, but as soon as the seed pops the surface get some light on it so it doesnt stretch.

Comment

thanks Tersky, my light is an LED, so mayme i should put the plants outside durning the days for a few days. it's going to be in the low 80's this week.

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        Some people do that. I personally dont, as i am constantly plagued with whiteflies in my outside garden. Also, im afraid of the plant stretching too much. With led's i think you can go ahead and turn them on and just keep them slightly further away than normal. Not 100% sure on that as i use cfls, lec and hps lights but i dont see led's being that different. Make sure your plants are getting 16-18 hrs of light, and try to keep them away from pests but you can put them outside if you want. I dont have good luck so i dont chance it with pests...though my dog would be the most likely to munch on my plants!

I have 4 seedlings about 4 inches from 2 60watt ledbulbs they're growing splendidly..
      Last edited by Nofriends1; 10-28-2019, 08:08 AM. Reason: Led bulbs

Comment

Originally posted by johnb1963 View Post
        good morning my friends,
        i'm starting my first indoor grow. my seeds have just cracked open, and i'm going to stick them in the soil. so my question is; when to i turn the light on? now, or do i wait for them to break the surface?
        Use a heat mat 'till they sprout then light 'em up. Auto Blueberry Domina. Sprout 9/11/19
        Last edited by quirk; 10-28-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X