T5 distance during vegetation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T5 distance during vegetation

Wondering what is a good min and max distance during veg state with T5 lights. I dont want light/heat burn and want to know what everyone else has been doing. Currently the light is 28in from top of plant. At what point do you measure from? Tyvm. The lights were lower but have been trying to bounce back from a newly identified nute deficiency.

It depends on the wattage but florescents can be fairly close. https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-far...istance-plants I would start at EDIT: 2-3 inches and do the hand test. Measure from top of canopy to lights. That means your tallest bud. This is why plant training is important with cfl's and t5's. Check out this https://www.growweedeasy.com/t5-grow-lights-cannabis
    Last edited by Tersky; 10-27-2019, 04:10 PM. Reason: People have spoken! 2-3 inches not 8-10.

Comment

I use T5's for the first 4 to 5 weeks, I keep mine at 2 or 3" above the plant. Any higher they stretch for the light.
      Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
      Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
      36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
      4 bulb T5's for Veg.
      2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
      IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
      3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

• Ell
        Ell commented
        Editing a comment
        same.,

Yep what uncledoug said keep them within 2-3"
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I run just like uncledoug . T3's are great for veg.
        Focus and relativity.

Comment

susieqtpie83 are you planning on using the t-5’s for your entire grow?

Comment

• susieqtpie83
            susieqtpie83 commented
            Editing a comment
            Farmall no I still need to get lights for flowering. The girls are still in veg. What kind of lights do I get for flowering? I was told red LED lights, but I'm really not trusting my source. TIA

susieqtpie83 . That question I’ll repeat it to you as I hear it.... what came first, the chicken or the egg? You will have many many many opinions on this topic of lighting. The options are vast and vastly different.

the size of your grow area will dictate some of the needs for lighting based on area coverage

if you’re looking to economize and experiment with a few plants and you won’t mind getting by and changing them should your “ career” develop into a bigger need for plants, then you can look into the “blurple” leds on Amazon. These are the ones you see that cast a purple haze in a photograph when folks show their grows. You can go inexpensively or jump into some that will cost several hundred. These do not generate a tone of heat in the tent.

you can decide on lower power HPS around 250w but all depends on your tent or grow space size and whether or not you will need to vent the heat away using an exhaust . They go as high as 1000watt and throw a bit of heat and really need vented hoods in smaller areas

you can also look into CMH / LEC systems that run 315Watts and they come as 630 watt as well for bigger area coverage

Finally there are full spectrum LED lights that appear bright white when you power them up but they can run between $500 to 1500.

everyone has some preferences why they choose the types that they do. I suggest for tonight’s homework: https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-grow-lights
          Last edited by Farmall; 10-29-2019, 06:20 PM.

Comment

My own experience on flowering lights is limited to small closet and tent grows. I have one cabinet where I use red leds and one tent where I run a blurple. I think the red is better but my reason for preferring it is because it uses 3 watt chips and can be closer to the canopy without burning.
            Focus and relativity.

Comment

susieqtpie83 It really depends how much you want to invest in it. If you are serious, then getting a horticultural lighting setup is recommended. Maybe not the highest end, but something designed for growing. For example, i have a 250w MH/HPS that fits in my 2x2 space. You can grow completely with just CFL's or T5's, you just have to make sure there is enough light for flower. LED's are hit or miss, and many of the ones you see on amazon aren't even safety certified (HTL) so be careful if you go that road. I recommend doing a bunch of research to find what works best for you. Light color has marginal impact on bud growth. https://www.growweedeasy.com/color-s...ana-grow-light What is more important is how much light is being put out, whether it is measured in lumens or PAR. The higher watt the more light typically. light There is a lot of info on this site that i would read over and if you have any questions we are here to share our experience!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X