Root rot treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root rot treatment

I have a couple of girls that have roots that look a wee bit yucky. Being worried about root rot, I went to the local hydro shop for treatment additives. Here in Canada, Hydroguard isnt available. So the only thing they had is a product called “Enzymes Komplete”.

They recommended using it at half strength for the first dose. I was shocked at how much it foamed up to the point it was bubbling around my pail lids. Glad I only did the half dose 🤣 I thought it was going to lift my plant out of the bucket.

My questions are:
    1) Has anyone used this with success?
    2) Now that I’ve started this treatment, do I need to continue using it until harvest? Or just until roots look healthy?

cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Forgot to add the link to the company’s website. Why do all companies that deal with cannabis products have such terrible websites?

A CLEANING SOLUTION FOR EVERY GARDEN! Enzymes Komplete™ is a true multi-purpose cleaner that allows for a variety of effective applications in a living garden.  Enzymes Komplete™ is a wide spectrum natural enzymatic cleaner with a mint twist. Recommended for use during all growing

Comment

Oh wow
      That's, um, yup, a site, and its on the web 😁

Gotta use what you can get.
      My hydro shop (in YFC) had to drop products (regulations about live bacteria or something, stupid rules)
      Now, the only bacteria they have for me,
      Voodoo Juice

Works for me, costs a little more, but I think it works better than the other stuff I was using

Never heard of it, is the package as informative as the website (I'm on mobile, will check page from pc later)?

oh, THANKS now I have to go and see if there is a difference between using them (bacteria or enzymes)

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
        LurkingInTheGrass commented
        Editing a comment
        And, forgot to mention

Biggest contributor, res is to warm, is your room to hot?

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        The bottle label is as good as their website. 🤣

Room is good for temp 19-22C. I think I might have light leaks around top of my baskets. I’ll try covering with black plastic as an extra precaution.

ill check my water temps tomorrow. Maybe they are too warm.

Comment

Howdy YYCaannabis, The things that One needs to do to prevent the root rot is:
        1. eliminate any and all light leeks, I cover the clay pebbles in the net pots with aluminum foil.
        2. Keep the water temperature in the reservoir between 62° and 70° F. I do this by periodically placing ice bottles in the reservoir.
        3. Keep the reservoir water well aerated. I use four 4 inch by 2 inch air stones in the reservoir (six gallon capacity).
        4. I use the GH flora Shield (2ml per gallon) as an inoculant, just in case.
        I am not familiar with the product that You mentioned, but it sounds like it has a lot of hydrogen peroxide in it. If One uses the beneficial bacterium (like Hydroguard), the hydrogen peroxide should not be used.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          DW2 Sadly Hydroguard isn’t available in Canada. The way this stuff foamed up I thought it was going to lift the lids off the pails 😳 The product and the website doesn’t convey very much technical details about how much peroxide (or anything) is in it. But it’s the only thing the local hydro shop sells which leads me to believe that it works.

I’ll update my adventure with this stuff to hopefully help others.

Cheers
          YYC

Ok. Now I’m getting worried about this product and it’s aggressive foaming. As I mentioned previously, this stuff was foaming out the top of my buckets for the first treatment (1/2 dose) two days ago. Yesterday I did a full water change for the 3 little ladies with another 1/2 dose treatment. Today the girls look like shit. Leaves are wilting similar to overwatered soil grown plants (I’m in DWC) and getting a lot of leaf discoloration from bottom to top.

I checked the roots of the plants to find that the foaming action had lifted all the long individual root strands and stuck them to the sides of the root basket above the water line (Large clustered roots were still in water) after the foaming began to subside.

I started to free the stuck roots so they could reach the water level and found some of them are now feeling dry. I don’t know if those roots will recover from drying or if they were going to die off from the root rot anyways.

I’ll post some pics once the area my tent is in is a bit warmer than the current 15C temp. so I can pull the plants from the tent for good pics.

Cheers
        YYC

Comment

Here are some pics.

The bucket pics show the foaming that is stirred up by the air stone. Once the airline is disconnected, the foaming stops within a few seconds.

Cheers
          YYC

Comment

Now a few hours later...

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X