Northen Lights (AF) Grow Diary 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Northen Lights (AF) Grow Diary 2019-2020

Germinated seeds purchased from Nirvana a year ago. Of the 5 seeds I had, 1 seed cracked and broke surface in about 72 hours. The other 3 in the initial germination failed after 10 days. Started the fifth seed yesterday and we'll see how it goes.

Added nutrients to existing seedling yesterday and overfed considerably. In 5 gallons of water:

5 tsp Big Bloom
    2.5 tsp Grow Big
    1 Tsp CalMag
    Dusted rooter plug with Great White

Spent about an hour removing/adding PH balanced water until I got PPM down to about 530. I'm hopeful that this won't burn the seedling. Will need to revisit Great White in the future I'm sure.

I have ordered more seeds which should be here in a few weeks. May finish this grow and then start more. I haven't decided.

In the meantime, here is a screen grab. Not much to look at yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-17-19 Screenshot_20191017_101853.png
Views:	354
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	342927
    Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

Week 3. I've decided to go with the 2 plants that have germinated successfully. In order to grow more, I really need another light and that's a future purchase given current cash flow. Plant #1 is 10 days older than plant #2. Both plants seem to be doing well. Nutrient is under control and working well.

Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

Comment

Name:	grow 2 week 3 Screenshot_20191031_182306.png
Views:	399
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	346265

Comment

I'm no hydro grower but if I may say....do the edges have nute burn on lower leaf? May just be reflection? Lots of hydro growers here they'll chime in soon Good luck and very nice strain. Peace
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Originally posted by SoOrbudgal View Post
          I'm no hydro grower but if I may say....do the edges have nute burn on lower leaf? May just be reflection? Lots of hydro growers here they'll chime in soon Good luck and very nice strain. Peace
          Thanks.

It's possible there is a little burn, but I don't see any trouble. When I added nute's I just measured them out according to manufacturer's instructions(Fox Farms organics) at 50% strength. Turned out to be WAY too rich. I spent time moving soup out and replacing it until it was measuring around 533 ppm. It's been holding there since. Fox Farms recommends a concentration of between 490 and 630 ppm, so I think 533 is pretty safe. Plants seem pretty happy. I guess time will tell.

Name:	close up 1.png
Views:	372
Size:	792.2 KB
ID:	346474

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I think it was a reflection I don't see burn it looks good, you got that fixed sounds like. Great attention to your plant, I've only grown autos a few times I've probley underfed more than anything. Congratulations and hydro is something I've not attempted I such a soil lover but admire hydro growers.

Looks good to me. I tend to burn my plants at least once during the grow. Not by much mind you, just a little.

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
            LurkingInTheGrass commented
            Editing a comment
            You guys make it sound like we ARE NOT supposed to burn the tips

LOL

• madams9
            madams9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Right?

Week 4. Not much to report. Thing 1 is thriving. Thing 2 looks small but good. I'm kind of struggling to keep humidity levels in the tent up. Replaced the wick in the humidifier and we'll see how it goes. I don't think it's all that critical since the plants are sitting in expanded clay that is bubbling water, and they seem happy. Here is a screen shot.

Name:	11-5-19 Screenshot_20191105_074054.png
Views:	375
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	347280

Comment

A couple of issues have appeared. I've got some older leaves at the bottom of Thing One showing ugly brown spotting. Looks to me like a nutrient deficiency of some kind. I'm supplementing CalMag to see if that improves.

The other issue is that Thing One is growing so fast that the stem hasn't been able to keep up. The plant is just laying over on the surface of the grow strata. My question is, should I stake up the plant to support it or just let it go?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              I would stake it, prop it up with a skinny stick to lean on. My thoughts anyway, but i'm a soil grower but a plants a plant.

• madams9
              madams9 commented
              Editing a comment
              I appreciate the input. I'm going to have to spend some time with this thing soon. It may be developing issues that are more serious than I initially thought.

Again, thanks.

Its falling over now? At week 4?

I would definitely stake it or use a plant yoyo (if you have one)

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
              Editing a comment
              Do you add water through the hydroton, or shift the lid and add water directly to res?

Originally posted by LurkingInTheGrass View Post
            Its falling over now? At week 4?

I would definitely stake it or use a plant yoyo (if you have one)
            Yup, it's falling over. I'm going to get a bamboo skewer on the job soon.

Comment

I've added water both ways. I wasn't aware that pouring it through the clay would cause trouble.

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
                Editing a comment
                Plenty of folks do

I dont, i have dampened off seedlings, and just didnt want to do it to a full plant

Not sure it is the problem, when you water through the clay, try not to get the stem wet?

I looked into the situation tonight. The PH was low - around 5.8. I boosted that to around 6.1. PPM measured around 775 which looks around 50% of the level recommended by Fox Farms. I also staked a bamboo skewer in the media and wrapped a support around the stem. The stem seems reasonably thick and healthy looking/feeling. The leaves do seem droopy and the older leaves at the bottom look pretty brown, but there is a bunch of growth going on at the top. Roots are visible and seem okay for the age of the plant. I moved the light up a few inches. Temp on the top leaves of the plant read in the mid 70's.

Thing 2 is 10 days behind Thing 1 and much, much smaller. It looks healthy as well, stands up on it's own but has some brown leaves showing up at the bottom. I'm going to keep watching these things.

Here is an action shot.

Name:	Screenshot_20191108_225925.png
Views:	323
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	348164

Comment

Week 5 and Thing 1 is looking worse. Though it is standing up a little better, wilting less, the brown spots are spreading. I keep having to adjust the PH from around 5.7-5.8 up to 6.0 +. I've also added a third dose of CalMag in the last 3 weeks. I keep thinking I've got this under control. I keep being proven wrong.

Here are some images and the weekly action shot.

Name:	Week 5 Thing 2.png
Views:	308
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	348769
                Thing 2

Name:	Week 5 Thing 1 -full.png
Views:	346
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	348767
                Thing 1 Full Length

Name:	Week 5 Thing 1 -closeup.png
Views:	310
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	348770
                Thing 1 Close Up

Name:	Screenshot_20191111_152657.png
Views:	308
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	348768

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
                  Editing a comment
                  If it were mine, I would put her in plain water with calmag (flush, until she comes around)

For hydro pH 5.5 to 6.5

There is nothing wrong with pH 5.7 (some people consider 5.8 the sweet spot)

Learn how to easily adjust pH up and down if needed for your cannabis grow. It helps prevent nutrient deficiencies!

• madams9
                  madams9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sounds like an option. I've been watching closely since yesterday and Thing 1 looks better. It's perkier, greener (at the top) and seems to be standing a little firmer. If nothing bad happens I'm going to snip these bad looking leaves and carry on. If things don't get better by tomorrow evening, I'll move it to a spare bucket and flush with CalMag.

Thing 2 just looks stunted. Either that or it's just not genetically gifted.

I'll post an update this weekend and we'll all know more.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Got up this morning and checked the tent. The plants both look better. Thing 1 is downright perky. I haven't checked PH yet this morning, but last night it was holding just above 6. I intend to go with things as they are and just clip the affected leaves off of Thing 1 tonight. The only issue I'm seeing is that Thing 1 is still leaning on the stick and Thing 2 just seems stunted. Thing 2 is possibly just not genetically gifted. Regular update should happen this weekend.

Comment

• alltatup
                  alltatup commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry I'm a little late to join the party: did you flush the plant? That definitely looked like root problems to me. she looks strong, like she'll bounce back, but you may need to give her a little longer in veg before flipping her. Plants should be going full speed ahead when you flip the lights. (I'm a hydro grower, too.)

• madams9
                  madams9 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did not flush the plant. It seems to have proven unnecessary as Thing 1 is perky and healthy looking.

Just curious, do you use Hydroguard or something equivalent? Also, it looks to me, and i could be just imagining it, but on your pic on your post on 11/11 it almost looks like you have algae growing in your hydroton. You also said you have poured res water through hydroton. While some do it and dont get issues, i've found that this can create algae issues. If the top of your hydroton stays dry and has nothing for algae to eat then you wont have that problem. The algae may have been causing root or ph issues. The only time i pour anything through the hydroton is when im trying to address an issue like pests and it is usually to kill anything problematic in the root zone.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X