Weird larvae/worm in DWC Res?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Weird larvae/worm in DWC Res?

So i was checking my res and found a small worm like larvae thingy just chillin on my rootball. Anybody know what this thing is and if im in trouble or not? I checked the rest of my roots and didnt find anything but im more worried that there are eggs that i cant see. I've checked the rest of the plant and cant find anything other a few minor calcium def spots that are hardly visible. Sorry the pic quality is crap. My phone is shit and refused to focus properly. This plant is about a month from harvest btw.

No
    no
    no

I chose hydro because, no bugs

lol - no frickin idea, subbed to see what's going to keep me awake at night

Comment

Here are some "better" photos. I hate my phone. I'm leaning towards fly larvae as thats the closest pic i can find on the internet, but i dont see flys or any bugs in the same room as my tent so im confused lol. Its gonna have to wait until tomorrow as it's bedtime for my plants and they are in flower. Just to be safe o put in some food grade H2O2 in the res. But seriously any info would help greatly. Of course it had to be on my best looking plant in flower...

Comment

Well i found a link that looks a lot like it and sounds like it may be the culprit. https://bugguide.net/node/view/357828/bgimage But I still dont know how to get rid of them. I only saw the one, but who knows if there are other eggs. I will keep monitoring and would love any suggestions.

Comment

Whelp...I checked my res this morning and found a dead one of those fuckers in the bottom of my res...Sooooo now im soaking the roots and net basket as much as i can in H2O2/water solution. I ended up pouring bleach down all my drains last night to try to kill any other nesting areas cause thats where drain flies like to nest. Im just gonna do the soak and check my res obsessively until im satisfied or i cut her down. I may have to just keep on it until harvest and sterilize everything!!! Oh and i have to get rid of any other nesting areas or they can just come back which is a pain in the ass....

Comment

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hay Tersky, I have been using Azamax in my DWC reservoirs (10 ml / six gallon) to keep the flies and gnats under control. It has worked very well. Keeping the net pots covered with aluminum foil not only keeps the light leeks down, it also helps to keep the flies from getting to the wet locations that they like to lay their eggs in.
            Good luck in ridding your plants of the larvae and flies.

So its hard to find anything to combat drain fly's in hydro but there is tons of stuff for fungus gnats, even when i google drain fly. So i assume that what works on fungus gnats will work on drain flies? The fungus gnat larvae that i see is white or clear and these are definitely not that. Idk man i think i now know why this grow has been so troublesome. Checked the other res and that one has them too so i soaked both plants in h2o/h2o2 solution and changed out both res solutions after thoroughly cleaning both buckets. I may have to switch to coco exculsively and use DE if i cant get the drain flies under control in the future. I guess nobody has had this issue here so that is why i keep documenting on this thread. If i find a solution i report back.

Comment

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            The photo of the larvae almost looks like a mosquito larvae, but they 'hang out' at the waters surface not in the roots. The Azamax causes a disruption in the bugs reproductive cycle (as per the data sheet that came with the Azamax) and takes a short time to work. It ,also, is taken up by the plant and becomes systemic and will get to the bugs that feel on the plant as well.

• Tersky
            Tersky commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosquito larvae was something i thought of too, but most of them are in the root ball just above the water not actually IN the water. The ones i find in the water are all dead and the ones in the root ball were alive yesterday, but may be dead today after H2O2 treatment but i cant get them out without help cause of my damn kidney stones right now. It hurts too much to hold the net bucket lid and pick at my roots at the same time without damaging the roots too much. Ill take a look at azamax anyways. They are about a month from harvest and the buds are starting to fatten up a little. Overall the plants look fine now, but if i get a hundred of those assholes chomping on my roots then things will get dicey. Im fine with having to treat up until harvest as long as it doesnt effect my buds though id rather get them gone permanently.

If you're finding them above the water, and a few dead ones at the bottom of the water, it seems to me that a simple flood of deep water may wash them off - and kill them. Drown them!

Comment

So i contacted General Hydroponics to ask about it and they said that Azamax was not for hydroponics. I specified a dwc, though they said recirculating in the reply so idk.

Here's my email to them:
            Hi. I have what seems to be drain fly larvae in my dwc res, specifically the roots above the water (cannabis btw). They dont look like fungus gnats larvae as they are black and dark in color. Does Azamax treat for drain fly larvae in a DWC environment? The plants are about a month to a month and a half into flower and i will be harvesting in about a month. I have looked and asked around and your product was suggested but i want to make sure it will not damage the plant or buds. Thank you for your time.

Reply:
            Azamax cannot be used in a recirculating hydroponic systems. It starts to break down rapidly once diluted into water and will also clog root pores if contact time is long.

Thank you

I have also read that it can leave a funny taste if used in flower. Is that true?

Well it may all be for naught. After my little h2o2 soak the ppms on my fresh res went UP after 12 hrs...i'm hoping that is just it recovering...if not i may have killed it...

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Killed what that bug or your plant man I hope it's not your plants? I think with my blurry vision it looked like a silver fish?

• Tersky
              Tersky commented
              Editing a comment
              The plant. I may have used too much h2o2 and burnt the roots. It seems to not be taking up nutrients as much as it was. Before this, it was drinking almost a gallon a day but now it doesnt seem to be drinking as much and the ppms are going up. It has a decent amount of resin so if all else fails i can just make hash or something. These plants we done from old seeds so it sucks but i wasn't counting on them to be big producers. I was using them to get back into the swing of growing which it helped in that regard. The larvae i believe is probably a drain fly larvae. I have silver fish every once and a while in my bathtub but the larvae are slightly different looking. The plants them selves have not shown any symptoms yet so that is encouraging but i dont think im out of the woods yet...holding my breath!

• DW2
              DW2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Tersky, That is a strange reply from GH about the uses of Azamax! I'm looking at the data sheet (included with the product) and it clearly states that it can be used in recirculatory, aeroponic, and hydroponic systems. It does say that in foliar spray applications that one should only mix up the amount that will be used within 24 hours.
              I would suspect that whom ever answered Your inquiry either is ignorant about the product or is incompetent! I have used it (as per the directions) for over six grows and it does work in hydroponics.

Tersky , I did some more reading on the Azamax application guide. Maybe, the reason that the person at GH gave You the wrong information is that the Azamax appears to be made by (and the name trademarked by) Parry America Inc. out of Irving Texas (www.parryamerica.com) and not by GH, even though the box does have GH's logo and name on it.
            You may get the information that You want by contacting them.
            Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Tersky
              Tersky commented
              Editing a comment
              Ahh thanks. I thought they were idiots. Thats funny because Irving is in my back yard! I was more inclined to believe the person who actually had used it rather than whoever answered my email. It even says in the instructions that you are supposed to mix it with water so i dont know what that person was thinking. I doubt they even know anything about the product. Thanks man, i may be ok. I havent seen any more and its getting to the last few weeks of flower so i may just let it go but i'll definitely be looking into azamax should i have other pest problems.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X