No announcement yet.

Early calcium issue or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Early calcium issue or something else?

Seeing spots on lower leaves. Not sure if this is a calcium issue or something else.

Thoughts?

cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Thrips? Examine your leaves (both sides) and stalk with a strong magnifying glass.

Comment

I agree, looks like thrips to me. https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...roblems/thrips As far as the concern for calcium issue, I do not see it. It would have more of a burned spot look than an mowed leave. https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...ium-deficiency
      Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
      A tale of two seeds
      Batter Up Sour Deisel
      Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
      New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
      Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

I happen to stumble across this little critter back in August. Happen to spot it while playing with wireless microscope. Not sure what it was.

I’ll check the ladies tonight.

Are these pests normal to get to get in an isolated hydro grow tent?

Cheers
        YYC

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
          RagWeedDWC commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure how much of a normal it is, do not have the info. One data point I'm sure of, it is a major PIA. :-)

I would say thrips as well, Had them on my first tent grow BUT i was growing in store bought soil mix. My plants did spend some of their time outside in the sun so i dont know how or where they came in contact(my guess is the bag soil mix) I couldnt for the life of me ever find one on my plants(maybe they only come out at night lol)...but one day when i watered them i was looking closely at the soil for fungus gnats, and saw a bunch of these little bastards moving around in the wet soil..!!! Now with your grow medium..i dont know where they'd hide...or how you would go about treating them. i used safer's 3 in 1 and sprayed soil immediately after watering cause thats when they came to the surface. Good luck
        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
        Canna Coco/perlite
        General Hydroponics Flora Series
        Cal/Mag.

Comment

I’m not sure where they hide in hydroton either. I’ve been searching online for live ladybugs, but looks like they are unavailable due to the time of year.

Comment

Yup. F*cking thrips.

Im not keen on applying soaps and poisons to my garden. I’ve opted to go with predatory mites to deal with the thrips. I can’t find live ladybugs anywhere in Canada so I’m going to use cucumeris and Hypoaspis critters to deal with them.

Too bad they can’t be stored alive for more than a few days. I have enough coming to do a 250 ftsq garden for my 4x4 tent 🤣
            Last edited by YYCannabis; 10-09-2019, 07:31 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Comment

Just in case people want to see what thrips on the leaves looks like, here’s a few vids.

Made use of the video feature on my crappy Amazon microscope.
              Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Comment

• homegrown
                homegrown commented
                Editing a comment
                ohh those suckers are tiny AND green!! The ones i noticed in my soil were a darker color...thanks for the videos. now i have a better idea what im looking for on the actual plant although im pretty sure my old eyes still aren't gonna see them lol.

• YYCannabis
                YYCannabis commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s possible to see them with the naked eye if you have darn near perfect vision. Once I was able to find one with the scope, I was soon able to spot them a little easier by eye or by phone camera.
                I simply plucked a few leaves that had small markings and scanned the area of the leaf that was damaged. The first few leaves I pulled to inspect were the most damaged. I actually couldn’t find many thrips. The leaves that showed only a tiny spot or two, seem to be where I was finding them more easily.

The dark ones you found on your soil are the more mature ones than the ones in my vids. Mine were still on a leaf. They fall to the ground when they mature a bit.
                Last edited by YYCannabis; 10-10-2019, 11:44 PM.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X