Making compost in a roller drum tumbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making compost in a roller drum tumbler

Having used super soil so successfully I have decided for me, it is the only way to go for any plants that may grow. I have picked up a drum compost roller to start making a few bushels to start with. Tossing in some vegetable scraps and soil, coffee grounds egg shells and any plant stalks from the flowers and vegetables grown this summer.

I am looking for things to throw in there to bring the soils to a high quality end product. Any thoughts?

I've been trying to do some veggie gardening and have been watching various channels on you tube. The ones ive found helpful (and i'm not plugging, just saying) are MIgardner and Urban Farmer Curtis Stone. There are others but i know those guys have info on compost and i think they are knowledgeable. I've never done compost myself but have considered it. There is a lot i need to learn before i get to that part tho. This is my first real time growing anything other than basil and weed lol.

Comment

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      Basil makes a GREAT partner when grown in the same area... Mine was one for a record book with leaves about the size of my hand

Oh ive also thought about a worm farm as well...

Comment

Farmall, are you growing indoors or outdoors?

Comment

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        Both...

Of course the winter will stop that part and will never get the roller temps up enough to fry weed seed and other things..they say its gotta reach 140 F. But my cherry tomatoes were outstanding this year using compost worm tea and the dahlias are currently blooming incredibly well. knowing our soil here is rather poor...mostly sandy and oak leaves I never considered amendments since I never had time but the weed has just shown me some magical things with regards to growing...enough that it can't be ignored. I would love to be really prepared by spring

I will suggest loosing the coffee grounds, or letting them compost for a year or more, to get rid of (wash out) the herbicide (caffeine) in them, I made that error,,,. MJ does not like caffeine!
      Leaves, add leaves MJ luvs composted leaf matter! (Black walnut has an herbicide as well, juglone) Rabbit poo, chicken poo (careful this is hot), BS, ash, banana peel, fruit and veggie peels,,,
      I might also add some blood and bone meal,,,,

Comment

Me personally i don't use food composted from my outdoor gardens in my indoor soil. I have 2 different totes for soil that I blend for MJ. My veggies and flowers use the house/yard waste.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Hmmm. I think I’ve got a bit more reading to to.... leaves I have plenty, grass clippings I get about 2 bushels when it rains and the grass grows. Didn't even think about the coffee grounds. I can get manure. In fact, I would see signs for bags of the stuff for sale or free. Why would anyone want this stuff? 🤔.

Duh....!

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Farmall You got it going on now ole bud, no need for store bought nutes.
            If it's far enough away from your house, dead fish work great, some of the best.
            Grass cuttings, and the top inch or two of the soil, from under trees, where the leaves have been decaying for years. The kind of soil you find worms in, when you rake the soil ,with your hands.
            Depending on size, a handful or two of limestone.
            Have a nice week.

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            D.A.A.S.69....I can always count on you to come through with the 1 - 2 punch....COOL ! Thanks

I know this post is two years old, but I JUST got a tumbler composted and I’m already obsessed. Apparently it can make ready to use compost in three weeks! I added: oak leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps, used coffee grounds, egg shells, bananas, some ash from my fireplace, worm poo rich soil to get microbes in there to do the work, cardboard and paper bags, hay/rabbit poo/wood shavings mixture, some dandelions I pulled out. Those of you following my journal will recognize these ingredients from my trench composting deep under where I will plant my seedlings later too! So exciting to be out making organic food for my plants AND cleaning up my backyard

Comment

That's so cool amy24 👍🏻 Makes me want to get outdoors to garden.
            Only problem is it's shared, but nobody uses it. Spring is here! 🌙 New Moon wishes 🙂

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X