How am I doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL How am I doing?

Hiya. This is my first try at growing. I'm on about week 5 I think. I had an issue with the bottom set of leaves developing spots when I re-potted but this stopped spreading after a day or two. I aren't really using special equipment - a wardrobe with the back pulled slightly away with a fan placed outside to push air through the gap, a decent bulb that cost me £20, some better soil (after following advice from here (thank you)) and then treated the soil with a soil big killer and hung up fly paper. I've got some pretty basic nitrogen plant food and add to all that a big bucket full of hope and that's what I'm working with

It looks better than my first try at growing! I do have some questions/suggestions. First, what light are you using? It looks to me that either the light is too far away or not strong enough just because the plants are a little tall. When you switch to flower they will double or triple in height so that is why indoor growers try to grow short bushy plants. For reference, the pic attached is my plants at 5 weeks (except the center plant. That was a cloning experiment i ran a couple weeks ago). They are only about 6-10 inches tall at this point thanks to lst and topping. Second, you say you have a nitrogen plant food, well that wont cut it in the flowering stage. Cannabis plants like lower nitrogen and higher phosphorous in flowering. There are many different nutrients that can be used with soil, although i have no experience with soil so i cant recommend one. Lastly, how big are your pots? I cant really tell in those pics. you may want to think about getting a bigger pot or go ahead and switch to 12/12. If it gets any bigger it may have problems with being rootbound. They look healthy, although maybe a little over or under watered.

Comment

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi. Thanks for your reply. They are a bit stretched cause for their first 2 weeks they were on my window so reached for light. I've got some different food for when I put them to veg. There is a good grow shop near me but my Mrs is worried about me setting up a sophisticated grow so we compromised on the wardrobe set up. I'm looking at changing to 12/12 in about 3 weeks. I've another couple of feet height I can play with, and I'll try to tie the tips round to give them room to grow outwards.

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, the reason for the droopy leaves which I'm guessing is what lead you to under/over watering comment, I took that picture in the morning and cause the wardrobe is in my bedroom, I sometimes turn the fan off if it keeps me awake and they droop a little over night but soon perk up once the fan is back on.

I know the hesitation on a sophisticated grow setup. I was the same way at first. I found that i was not happy with the quality and yield with my first couple grows so eventually i decided to get a tent setup and now i have two tents! There are some who can build their own DIY setup out of whatever is around the house, i'm not one of those. I would look at different ways to train a plant cause a couple feet is not a whole lot. https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-plant-training

Comment

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in England in a ground floor apartment and the laws here are archaic so I'm hoping people won't think a wardrobe strange where they would if they looked through my window and saw a huge grow tent in my bedroom

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      I've just noticed we seem to be a dog and a cat conversing. See what the power of weed can do!!

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha i wish i could like your reply about the dog and cat. I used to have cats. 15 years ago it would have been a cat pic instead of a dog lol

Ahh gotcha. My laws in my state are probably not much better so i understand. I'm sure you can make it work! It may take a bit of tweaking so dont get discouraged! There is a wealth of information on this site and we're here if you have any questions but ultimately you have to decide what is best for you and your situation.

Have you given any thought to humidity and odor control? that is my main reason for the tent. Some varieties get pretty stinky when they flower so if you are trying to be stealthy you might want to consider how you are going to address that. Also the bushier the plant gets the more humidity increases, especially in an enclosed space, and in flower you can get bud rot or powdery mildew so airflow and ventilation is crucial. Also you may want to make sure your wardrobe is lightproof so your plants dont re-veg. I only mention these things because i didn't think of these when i first started growing and find them to be important now.

Comment

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      Out of interest, how much is an Oz of good weed where you're at? In England I'm paying up to £200 ($250) for good good stuff, down to about £160 for low grade crap that I don't bother with.

• StokeBloke
      StokeBloke commented
      Editing a comment
      All the good weed is grown by the Vietnamese over here. They're like the Umpa Lumpas of the weed world.

• Tersky
      Tersky commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's about the same here, i never buy that much at a time tho. A wardrobe will work fine as long as temps and humidity dont get too bad.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X