Help IDing Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help IDing Bug

So I’ve checked the GWE site, plus others, but I’m dealing with an infestation I don’t recognize. Too big for mites, I think. I’m attaching some pics.
    Ive not seem a lot of them; just a few at a time. They’re on 2 of my plants. One seems fine, one not so much.
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

kinda look like an aphid https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabi...roblems/aphids

Comment

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn’t an aphid, I’m pretty sure. There are only a few, and they don’t congregate under leaves.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      then maybe root aphids, very hard to kill and there are flying ones and crawling ones, clear and dark, plus the larvae but it looks different

• s62
      s62 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll look more into them, though I don’t have any fliers, and they’re all consistently that white/yellow color.

First thought was spider mites, https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B345&FORM=VIRE has a video of some large ones. Body shape and shadow looks similar. I did not see any webs on your leaves or corners.
    Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
    A tale of two seeds
    Batter Up Sour Deisel
    Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
    New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
    Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Bumping to see if anyone else had any ideas. I don’t think it’s spider mites (too big, no webs, no damage) or root aphids either (no concentration around the roots, crawling over whole plant instead of lower branches, no flying insects). I’ve been blasting them with PureCrop1, but so far they haven’t gone away. Gonna dump a slew of pics.
      Attached Files
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil
      Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        have you noticed any damage? its going to be hard to identify a half millimeter bug by shape and color, how is it affecting the plant and any behavior they show is going to help you reduce the range of possibilities. now if theyre not affecting the plant then it may not be so important to find out, anyway i hope someone knows better and enlighten us

I really think these are root aphids. Check out these images on google, they are almost identical imo.

Comment

I’m not sure if there’s any damage or not. One of the infected plants is super ugly and damaged. I’ll dump pics. But the other is doing great: no evident damage at all. So I’m not really sure these bugs are the source of damage.
        That said, I’m including pics of the mutant one, just in case.
        Gorilla 3x3
        LEC 315
        Kind Soil

Comment

I am blind as a bat but it looks like a thip mite which is a beneficial insect. They eat you guessed it, thrips. But if you have no thrips there would be no reason to have them. Are they very fast?
          You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Here is a thrip mite or thrip predator eating a thrip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191007_100346.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	340447

Comment

Maybe it is a thrip predatory mite and you have broad mites? I know your leaves aren't glossy but it does look like you have some twisted growth. Originally i thought root aphid because of your plant symptoms and i figured it was a root issue causing your deformed leaves but it does also look a little like a thrip mite as well and it could be possible targeting a near invisible to the naked eye pest of some sort. More experienced growers may know better. Im lucky that i have not had too many pest issues myself.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                yeah i thought about that too, thats one ugly plant, some mites will inject venom into the plant making it very sick and grows with no trichomes

I have sent the pics to a few other growers and they agree that the one is a predatory mite and it is a good bug. Problem is you only have them when they have something to eat which are bad bugs.

Comment

If you have a scope here is a close up of a predatory mite. The pic came from one of our growers. Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2411777932400055.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	340479

Comment

Having a few insect around is normal as long they are doing any harm. Dont worry

Comment

Hmmm, fascinating. Never knew about predatory mites. If that’s what they are, I hope they keep it up. We’ll see how they do with the PureCrop1 for a couple of more days.
                    Thanks for your help, everyone. I’m going read up on these things, if that’s what they are. I’m open to new ideas/IDs, of course.
                    Thanks!
                    Gorilla 3x3
                    LEC 315
                    Kind Soil

Comment

Great Thread!
                      Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
                      A tale of two seeds
                      Batter Up Sour Deisel
                      Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
                      New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
                      Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X