Light height for seedlings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light height for seedlings

I am using a Sunblaster T8 6200k for seedlings. Height is 6.5” above. Am I too close or too far?

There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

I’m using greengo 1200w led and manufacturer recommended 40”veg drops to 32
    First grow
    2 northern lights auto,white widow photo,sour diesel photo,2 Bruce banner auto, 5 sweet tooth auto
    soil fox farms happy frog 30% perlite added
    2 sweet tooth autos in dwc
    4 greengo 1200w led
    general hydroponics flora trio nutes
    grow room 27’x7’ 8’ tall
    490cfm exhaust

Comment

Thanks Buds4949, but I am unsure how that would convert to the fluorescent light I’m using.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey YY, I ain't never used one of those, is it one of the HighOutput kinds?
        Is it the same thing as a T5.
        On my seedlings I just use 2-3 cfls, about 2-3inches away from seedlings. 23watt, 100watt, equivalent.
        It didn't come with instructions?
        I wish i could help you but I don't know nothin about kind. If they start stretching, lower it, and if they don't grow good ,and look bad raise.
        Surely someone will chime in soon, that's got one, and help you much better than I can.
        GoodLuck
        I've had back pain all my life, and have taken many a strong pill.
        I've learned to live with it, and don't take them no more, thank goodness.
        YYCannabis

Originally posted by YYCannabis View Post
      I am using a Sunblaster T8 6200k for seedlings. Height is 6.5” above. Am I too close or too far?
      Does Sunblaster make a T8? I just looked at their web site and all I see is T5HO. If you have T5HO, you should be fine. I use T5HO and keep it pretty close. (If it stretches, move it closer.).

People do veg under T8. It's not unheard of. I don't know how close you'd need to be. If you buy a $20 Lux meter, that can help you with things like this. I have a Sunche HS1010. About 60 lux per ppfd (I recently got a PAR meter too). So, figure 100 to 300ppfd in seedling. That would be 6000 to 18000 lux.

Lux isn't a great way to measure grow lights. But, there are conversion factors for different light types. (I'm finding that LED lightbulbs are in the 50-52 lux per ppfd.). A lux meter is useful if you know its limitations. It's great to monitor your flourescent tubes' lumen deprecation (measure a new one at a specific height. Check it occasionally. You'll see it loses 30% after a couple grows.). Having a meter is useful in some ways like that.

Comment

Youve got T5s there, I believe mate. I’m running the same lights for seedlings, and I used them closer than you have them. I kept them 3-5 inches away. I suspect you could lower the light.
        Gorilla 3x3
        LEC 315
        Kind Soil
        Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

Ah...stupid fat fingers...yes it’s a T5.

I might bring it down down a few inches. I do have a light meter and will check with it tonight. 😁

Comment

So my little girls have been under this light since August 16. They all have 3 sets of true leaves. Should they be moved under my main grow light (instead of my seedling lamp)?

Comment

Since August or do you mean September? They should be way bigger than that if August. I would have moved them probably after their first set of true leaves.

Comment

What month is it?! Where did the time go?!

Ya...Sept 16...

I’ll move them this weekend.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X