Transplant Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transplant Problem

I transplanted my plants from 1/2 gallon pots to a larger pot last weekend. I messed up and ripped the bottom third of the roots off one of my plants. I shoved the ripped roots (incase some were still intact) all in the new pot hole with a little Azos and a good drain to waste feeding. The plant has droopy leaves on the next day. Will the plant come back? Since most of the nutes enter the plant from the root tips, should I feed and water it more since it is lacking root tips now. It looked good before I transplanted it.

I think you need to just proceed as normal. Overwatering could cause root rot. Going forward, slip a knife of some other utensil around the inside of container, get in there with your hands if necessary, to loosen entire root ball away from bottom of container. Don't try to put it out. If met with resistance, keep working at it until the entire root ball will come out complete. It could be a two person job

Comment

King cola I do bonsai and you take about a third of the roots off and this causes the roots to grow. Just like pruning the top of a plant. She may go slow for a few days but she might be better for it. Let us know how shes doing.

Comment

Thanks insomniaczzz and dgara! Thanks for the bonsai encouragement that it will still grow and produce. Thanks for the two person idea; I think that will be a better approach next time. I even had them in half gallon bags with large holes in the sides, I cut them vertically in 3 places and tried to get the root balls out. It worked well except for this one plant that had a big root build up in the folds of the bag at the bottom. Will do better next time. I will let her grow and see how she does; she looks pretty sad at the moment.

Comment

• Jibblerjoe
          Jibblerjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep it out of the strong light, let it recover . You will see it perk up when it's done stressing. I grow out door , cloudy days best day for transplant.

Will do Jibblerjoe, thanks for the heads up. I will make sure it is in the weak light area until she perks up.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X