Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoors grow: Cold temps

Hi folks!

Winter on a nose, so I having a question about cold temps outside. What kind of experiance do You have? Was someone dealing with very low temperature, but plants still was ok?

Like example, I'm having very low temps, it's around 0 degrees at night and only 6-9 degrees at day, but ladies still able to be feeling good. Slow in doing the job, but keep moving forward.

Regards,
    Natural Garden
    eCa

I have much experience with the cold,

with plants theirs 2 types of cold the air/winds external if you like

and the internal cold as in the root mass

some Russian growers with large pots can get caught out in late summer with pots up to 1300 gallons, plants 12-15ft tall,

and resort to electrical wiring you can get to wrap around the sides of the pot

often it is easier to install light bulbs in tin cans to keep the soil warm ...its all in the soil

the air can be way below freezing for a short term but keeping the root mass at 22c/77f does wonders ...all the time

the first indication the plant is suffering is the obvious sagging fan leaves, and later turning red, purple or brown on the cold exposed sides of the plant

that be the sap stalling inside the plant the more cold the more red the more red the brighter the red/ sap

all this is assuming your plants are in ground and perhaps a little late to harvest...a place I've been many times

my best advice = buy in an 'old school mechanical baking timer' that goes low in temp!

and put it in the soil close to the root mass- let that be your guide

good luck

ps to avoid winter grows remember to germ early next season ..lol

Comment

I'll add in IF your plants get frosted on, get out there before the sun is up and wash it/them off with a water hose (before the sunlight touches them)! Most are very hardy and can take a mild freeze, cover for hard freezes.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X