pH, Cal-Mag or Acid Rain...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pH, Cal-Mag or Acid Rain...

I have pH kit coming this week so can't address it specifically but the picture points to cal-mag or nutrient lock to me. On the other hand, the plant seems to be in overall good health. It needs another day to dry out after t-storms and I initially thought it was too wet but the discoloration is spreading (very slowly thankfully).

Until I can check the pH I'm stuck I guess. I was using water from my dehumidifier which I "assumed" to be about 7.0 pH.Tap water is slightly hard and I switched to it over the weekend hoping to get some calcium in there. But if rainwater is still acidic (duh) I started at a deficit in the soil and really didn't give it a thought at the time I started. When I get the pH readings and begin to square that up will I need to still add a cal-mag supplement or will fixing the pH allow it to use what I believe is already there for it? Using the FF trio and have been at 1/2 strength. Switched to flower nutes (tiger bloom) this w/e as well since it is transitioning. (Leaf coloration preceded these changes)

So, am I in a wait and see 'til I get the kit or is there a pro-active method to pursue 'til then?

Thanks.

your plant has no issues, that mild discoloring is normal on the older/lower/shaded leaves that the plant is not using anymore, your plant looks very healthy dont worry about that. rain has such a low concentration of ions that the ph doesnt really matter, it will become whatever ph is your soil once you water. the fox farms big bloom contains a lot of trace minerals and calcium so dont mix with calmag. another thing, being a big big plant in a small pot you gonna need to feed constantly specially if it rains and nutrients get washed off, just keep an eye for yellowing of the entire plant, not a few leaves on the bottom. hope this helps, again the plant looks very healthy youre doing a great job

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping that was it but I'll still check when the kit arrives. Ounce of prevention and all that. The pot is about 5 gal or just slightly less. I NEVER in my wildest dreams anticipated that this single bagseed would grow to begin with much less be a pretty little Lady to boot so it is in the biggest pot I had available at the time.

(And to my shame and horror it is in MG potting soil. If I knew then what I know now...)

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        dont you worry, you are doing great and im sure youre learning a lot, just keep on growing

Got pH strips this morning. Had a bit of rain as well so I checked it. Granted these are kind of generic readings with colors for each but the rain comes in about 5.5 - 6! damn near vinegar in my mind. My tap water is dead on at 7. After adding nutes we're back in about 6. I added some baking soda and it came up to just over 7 by my best guess. I went ahead and watered/fed until runoff was evident. Amazing how much it took to get to that with such a small(ish) pot. Anyway, the initial runoff (what I assume I'm displacing from this mornings rain and low pH feedings prior) was again high 5 to 6. I'm guessing a couple feeds at more normal pH will slowly bring soil pH up and all should be good.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X