Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remove or don’t remove leaves during flower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove or don’t remove leaves during flower?

Hey everyone it’s me with my millions of questions. From what I have read it seems to be a debate during flower on whether to trim most the leaves. So what’s everyone’s opinion or experience with this topic? Are the leaves taking away from buds so should remove so buds get all the attention or are the leaves helping provide backup for the nugs? If that makes sense. On with the answers?

Defoliate, once, really well, during the early part of the flower, when they need it, if they are very healthy, provided you planned and trained for that type of grow. Only take fan leaves.

Like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	3 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	329670

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	329669
    Last edited by billyboy; 08-11-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job Billyboy those will love the haircut, won't bother them a bit

CC, I did pretty serious defoliation on my last grow, and you can see the results here: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...7-grow-ten-atu

by Nebula Haze Introduction to Bud-Based Defoliation What is cannabis defoliation, and why/how does removing leaves from a cannabis plant increase yields?
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

It's crazy the controversy on this topic. On my 420 forum, everyone says don't you need those leaves. I had one try to say we don't do it outdoors so why would indoors let mother nature do her thing. ?but it was my thought that you trim to mimic nature because their leaves always fall but idk

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Indoors they don't need as many leaves to store nutes because we feed them so well. Also, exposing the buds as far down as we can to light makes them grow bigger!! I will keep refining my technique, but I was quite happy with results on the last grow.

I say it largely depends on the health of the plant but defoliation can be done in early flowering. I usually do it after it's stretch, once i have an idea of the full height. However dont take off too much as the plant will have a harder time recovering. The general idea is you want to provide light for the lower buds but the more you cut, the longer it takes to recover. the more energy it spends recovering, the less it has for producing buds. If your plant is healthy and robust however it can take more punishment and recover from some pretty intense defoliation. You should do lst and defoliation in the veg cycle to see how well it responds. then you may have a better idea of how much you can take off. Im currently growing two old seeds (still waiting on my bean order) that are not very healthy so my defoliation will probably be lighter this grow...unless it gets a second wind.

Comment

Everyone looks at it from their own bubble. Someone growing in soil indoors with a small light source can get away with a single well timed defoliation because the pace of leaf growth allows it. Another person growing in hydro with a big lamp and full on climate control is probably going to need to do it a couple of times because growth is so fast. Outside growers have 4 times the light penetration, so they don`t worry about bud shading...but they should consider some defoliation to mitigate pests and fungus.

I look outside the weed community for info as much as I can and I look to nature. Tomato growers defoliate and they do it to make $$$, so by extension, we should at least be experimenting with the practice. In nature, cannabis plants are constantly stripped of leaves by critters, strong wind and insects, and they have built in response mechanisms to compensate, so why not trigger them.
        Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
        400W HPS Mag Ballast
        GH Floro - DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
        IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
        Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
        GH Maxi Series-DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
        - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

• CC420710
          CC420710 commented
          Editing a comment
          Well said

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree with you HappyDaze. Photoperiod MJ plants outdoors or indoors can take a lot of punishment. I don't remove enough of the inner branches and tiny bud sites by the looks of others who do. I am so use to just letting them grow au natural just top and LST when nessesary outdoors. I have supper cropped like my tomatoes do themselves when they get to tall and heavy they lay on the rings.

Here are the girls from post #2 six days later. I should note I am Feed-Water-Water up until the defoliation during flower, and then I switch to Feed - Water - Feed. And switch from MH to HPS 600w.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	331090

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	331091
        Last edited by billyboy; 08-18-2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Look great

I started my grow fairly simple and followed LST for my first grow..The Fems had to be defoliated twice during veg cause the growth was so thick..and i did a final defoliate the first week into flower
        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
        Canna Coco/perlite
        General Hydroponics Flora Series
        Cal/Mag.

Tent
        Bruce Banner
        Kushy Kush
        2Cookies and cream

Comment

Billyboy, I like your style. I will try your way with my current grow.

Comment

I think defoilage or not plant is more sympathy. Cutting excessive leaves are beneficial. It allows more air and light and less baggage for it to bloom. The folk that disagree are passiver types.

Comment

Week 3 & week 5 if needed

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X