The Accidental Auto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Accidental Auto

9 weeks ago this coming Wednesday I had my strains all picked out and germinated. I was really looking forward to both the Granddaddy Purple and the Black Mamba (both feminized).

I've never grown an Auto before - to my way of thinking - the seed costs the same as a feminized seed but you get only a few oz's from an Auto while the corresponding feminized plants I can usually get a pound per plant out of. To me it just didn't seem like much of a comparison.

I now have to change my tune a bit - in favor of Auto's. I'm not sure it's even close enough for me to changing my grows from feminized photo's to Auto's, but it has given me something to think about as in just 9 weeks the "Accidental Auto" I'm growing has gone from seed to within a week or two of harvest. The GDP ended up being an Auto. The Black Mamba is just starting it's flowing transition but the mystery auto is almost done!

I trained it out just like usual as I didn't know it was an auto, and WOW I'm glad I did! The resulting flowers should be a pretty good harvest. I still won't know what strain it is - but it is nice to know that in a pinch you can go from seed to flower with a decent yield in about half the time it takes to train and flower out a photo period feminized plant.

I think it is very fitting that Nebula's last newsletter was on Auto's. I'm sure some strains perform better than others though I do wish I knew what this one was... It's quite impressive - even for an Auto.
    The unknown Auto and the Black Mamba on the right
    Current Grow:
    Black Mamba
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    LED
    Hydroponic DWC
    GH Flora Trio - CalMag
    Hydroguard, PH down
    Perfect PH: Bud Candy, Big Bud & Flawless Finish

Looks good

Comment

That's a heck of and auto, trunk is so thick excellent job

Comment

This is an encouraging read! I’m about to start my second grow, and this time I’m using autos. Never messed with them, and have been a bit worried about yield, but from the sounds of it, I need not be!
        Gorilla 3x3
        LEC 315
        Kind Soil
        Current: White Widow XXL, Girl Scout Cookies, Crystal M.E.T.H., and Six Shooter.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          They are getting better and better with genetics. From what I've been reading it's what most commercial grows are heading towards. Super autos.

I am still sticking with my photo period feminized plants for now. A few people from our coalition are growing auto's. The accidental auto I have is the largest. I really think that training her out as she grew made a huge difference. It was obvious it was an auto by 5 weeks old (she had pistils everywhere!). I did a 12 gauge train out instead of my usual 8 branch manifold. She now has over 40 flowering branches. I figure about another week and she should be ready for harvest. I'll be sure to update with the final grow weight of the buds.
        Current Grow:
        Black Mamba
        LED
        Hydroponic DWC
        GH Flora Trio - CalMag
        Hydroguard, PH down

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          This was my first run of autos outdoors this summer and going on my 3rd set of 2. There OK but my focus is always on the photos I love fem. photos but with all the talk of autos thought i'd give them a go. They are much quicker 3 months compared to 5-6 outdoors for photos and even longer. I have not grown them indoors yet the autos to focused on being better with photos indoors. Yours look great

Harvest day for the auto today. I probably should have waited another week but the Black Mamba was begging for room. Here’s the result of today’s harvest. I’ll post final weight in a few days. I am VERY impressed with whatever this is.
        Current Grow:
        Black Mamba
        LED
        Hydroponic DWC
        GH Flora Trio - CalMag
        Hydroguard, PH down

Comment

6.8 oz of flower
          2.7 oz popcorn buds/sugar leaf & trim
          9.5 oz of usable product. That’s about an ounce per week of growth. Not bad for a harvest in a hurry. It was fun to grow and a challenge to stay on top of training.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH:
          If you’re looking for a decent amount of flower quickly- don’t over look autos. Keep in mind that it can take up to 3 autos to equal the yield of 1 trained photo period plant.
          If you’re growing for medicinal purposes or simply want the highest quality (or whatever your reason) photo period plants at this point can practically insure you’ll get a larger harvest and a higher quality bud.
          Current Grow:
          Black Mamba
          LED
          Hydroponic DWC
          GH Flora Trio - CalMag
          Hydroguard, PH down

Comment

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought bud quality was equivalent these days for the most part?

Thanks soorbudgal. I love growing - it’s the best therapy I have found with a nice reward when it’s all said and done.
          Last edited by BU2B; 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM.
          Current Grow:
          Black Mamba
          LED
          Hydroponic DWC
          GH Flora Trio - CalMag
          Hydroguard, PH down

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Your welcome BU2B it is my favorite hobby to grow gardens. It is very rewarding to be gifted with such abundance after tending to these plants for 5-7 months (photos) outdoors. I too have been pleased with the several autos I grown now, I haven't trained them other than topping/LST like my photos but as I get more confidence and my personnel supply gets restocked after summer grow i'm going to experiment more for larger yields. I've grown Durban poison, WW, Aurora, and some not to stable GDP autos. The Aurora auto gave me the best yield next to the Durban poison great smoke. Peace and happy growing.

s62, I still find far too many sites that list a difference in potency that is between 4-8% difference between their Feminized and their autos of the same strain. They are improving- and quite a lot in the last few years, but in my assessment the flower from the majority of autos may have the same taste and smell but I still think photo Feminized plants simply produce a more effective bud. It may just be my bias.

I am am not talking down autos - I am still impressed with the auto I grew - but their still not my personal preference.
          Current Grow:
          Black Mamba
          LED
          Hydroponic DWC
          GH Flora Trio - CalMag
          Hydroguard, PH down

Comment

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            My limited understanding is that they just haven’t caught up in yield. But I see autos listed in the 20-24% THC range all the time. I think they’re probably plenty potent.
            Oh, and fwiw, I’ve only grown photo before, so I don’t really know. I’m doing autos for my next grow, though, so I should have a stronger opinion by the time I’m smoking them lol. You might be right!

Click image for larger version

Name:	3FFED28E-B696-4931-9D04-FDFCE2E05FE2.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	331904
          Consider the possibility of “the entourage effect “. There are other compounds that might be capable of bringing up the rear. This is a picture of the center of a bud...loaded with trichs

AND.... BU2B... I thought I had written this post. The EXACT SAME THING happened to me. Same surprise and I never expected the outcomes either. By week 5, they were starting to flower and I never figured it out til a friend said... there’re autos. Similar yield and I experimented with the herb dryer on half the plant and conventional drying on the other. These were supersoil grown so no nutes. They have changed my views. They just do their own thing.
          Attached Files

Comment

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            That picture is gorgeous! It should go in the Trichome Potn thread!

• Farmall
            Farmall commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks s62, surprised the heck out of me too!

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the single amber trichome! It’s screaming “Chop chop!”

Some times at this stage of my outdoor photo grow I wish for an accidental auto but then I also need a couple LBs for the family cupboard when we hibernate

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X