Harvest time and plant death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest time and plant death

Hey everyone wasn’t sure what title to give this but was wondering how fast the plant dies off toward end of flower. Mainly asking because I have some not doing the best and some that are fine. Same schedule, same nutes and same strain but maturing at different rates. The one closest to harvest is the worst and then in order from most mature to least. I would like to point out that there is a big difference between the less mature ones than the mature ones big difference. Which is making think it has something to do with its life ending soon but I could be completely wrong and likely am but it’s not making sense otherwise. For those learning like myself I figured it would help harvest time. Like if it’s dying to a certain point is it a problem of nutes or pests or is it ready or past ready and maybe not as strong as some? If anyone can give better insight on how fast they die when getting close to done? Also I assume they are prone to more problems later in flower than they are in veg. Like being able to handle heat. Is it harder on flowering plants when it’s hot? ect?

You have a lot of questions and my suggestions is to do some research. A helpful tip; your plant is ready when the tricombs are amber color. You’ll need a jewelers loop to see them. As for the problems your having, can’t say anything for sure without photos.

Comment

• CC420710
      CC420710 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s the problem I have researched so much but it’s hard to find the answers to specific questions. I’m trying to figure out if further in flower is it prone to more problems the further it gets? Like heat stress for example. Is it harder to handle further in flower than veg? And yes I do ask a lot of questions and maybe if people would reply to original post I wouldn’t have to post a new question. I get asked a question about like what high am I looking for but when I answer I never get a response back.. So I do apologize for all the questions but it seems to be the only way I get a decent amount of feedback. I did have one post a couple weeks back that was awesome ending up being a few pages long that was helpful. I have a jewelers loupe with light but I am too blind to really tell anything. I will have to get something bigger next time. So I do apologize if it’s a problem I just find I get more answers by changing the wording and starting new posts. I honestly get more help that way. This post was mostly about what a flowering plant is prone to compared to a veg. I do have another post specifically about my problem but I will post a couple pictures here to get more help with it. I will post my best and my worst. One is almost ready to harvest the other has a bit still. Posting to bottom feel free to give opinion

I like amber trics too, but not everyone does, the amber gives the couch lock, if that is what one wants.
    Photos will help as will info on your grow,,, are they still making fresh (new) flowers?

Comment

• CC420710
      CC420710 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope it hasn’t made any new in a bit. I have another post titled ready or not which has closeups of the flowers. I posted the pictures of my problem at bottom of this post. 7th week of flower growing in black gold and peat. Fox farm nutes reccomended dosing. Neem oil for pests. Growing in tent with cmh 315 and 600 led.

So without seeing pictures its hard to tell. I will say that in my experience the lower leaves start yellowing first at the end of a grow. typically this is because you are flushing but i have experienced a little yellowing pre flush but it's been a while and i cant remember exactly what was going on with the grow. That being said, it depends on the symptoms. Slight yellowing of the leaves is nothing to be too concerned about. drooping/wilting, mold pest ect are things to be concerned about. like has been suggested, pictures would be helpful. Also you can use https://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-symptoms-pictures to look at problems and symptoms. It also depends on environment and setup as well (If it's too hot, humid ect). During flowering i suggest trying to keep it below 80 deg F and below 40% humidity. Sometimes that's easier said than done tho!

Comment

• Cberdahl
      Cberdahl commented
      Editing a comment
      👍👍Good feedback!

Okay adding pictures of my girls to see if you guys can help. Sorry I didn’t to begin with this was supposed to more about what problems they are prone to in flower more than veg? Like heat stress is it harder on plant late in flower than it is one early in flower? But at the same time I will take whatever help I can get so I am adding pictures of my bad girl and my best looking one. Also They are both indoors I just had the one outside to better inspect it when I took picture

Comment

ok. So plants do lose color close to harvest so dont worry if you have minor color loss. Also typically you find the further into flower the more susceptible the plant is to bud rot and some molds. Now im not sure on this as it is a guess, but i think they also might be more susceptible to some pests or at least attract more pests due to the smell of the flower at times. I personally have not had a pests (yet) but ive been pretty on top of pest prevention.

One other thing to think of is that towards the end of flowering is when the buds really fatten and dense up so heat stress at that time would hinder bud and trichome development. So because of this, a late flower plant is more "fragile" in a sense. That being said you want to try to get the healthiest plant you can before switching to flower because trying to fix a flowering plant will affect bud development. I hope this answers your question. I would check out some of these articles.

Ever wondered how to grow your own "top-shelf" buds like the ones you get from a dispensary? Learn 7 insider tips to producing your own frosty, medical-quality buds!

Almost all indoor growers want bigger cannabis yields for less money, time and effort. Today I will cover 5 easy ways to increase your indoor marijuana yields at harvest time, no matter which...

Learn which 5 factors are essential to creating the perfect cannabis growing environment! Getting this right will help your plants grow faster and yield more!
      Last edited by Tersky; 08-11-2019, 01:55 PM. Reason: Didnt read question carefully

Comment

First point: unless you kill them your plants won't just up and die after budding, as long as you leave some growth you can re-veg plants indefinitely.
        Get rid of all that dead crap and all the leaves that aren't producing "sugar" (trichomes), they're just sucking up nutrients and strength that could be going elsewhere.
        Your plants are done when you decide they're done, not a moment sooner or later than that.
        You can go buy a jewler's loupe or just take a close up bud pic with your phone and zoom in to look at the trichomes, but once you get a feel for it you won't need to bother with that anymore.
        My main philosophy on budding is simple, if you think it's done, give it a few more days.

Comment

Yes, your plant will become more sensitive to ph flux, nutrients and other factors as it gets closer to harvest. You need to do what you can to protect the leaves you have left as more will not produce.
          If you are in flower I recommend not using neem oil at all, you don’t want that stuff on your buds.
          Last edited by Cberdahl; 08-11-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• CC420710
            CC420710 commented
            Editing a comment
            decided it was nothing to worry about not spider mites or other pests likely just a random web strand so no neem needed thankfully but for learning purposes what should one do for pests late in flower?

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            Beneficial critters, like nematodes. Maybe spinosad (I haven’t researched it yet, but I see it mentioned a lot).

Anything organic in late flower, fly traps, soap and water solution( use lightly!), lady bugs... I always put a layer of perlite on top of the soil to prevent bugs laying eggs in the dirt.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X