When to add nutrients and lights to seedlings in DWC system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO When to add nutrients and lights to seedlings in DWC system

New grower here about to embark on my first hydro grow in DWC. I am using Botanicare Pro Bloom, Grow, Hydroguard, CalMag and Silica Blast. I had a few questions regarding post-germination:

- When should I add nutrients to my reservoirs?
    - How much nutrients should I add at the seedling phase?
    - When should I have the lights on the seedling?

I am germinating my seeds using the paper towel method. Once the get their tap roots, I will be moving them into rock wool cubes and will be immediately placing them directly into my net pots.

My setup is as follows:

- Growing 4 auto flowers
    - Each plant will be in a 5 gallon bucket
    - Using RO water
    - Running two 300w LED lights in a 4x4x7 grow tent

Any insights are appreciated!

I'd suggest that you take the time to properly pH adjust your RW cubes and don't be in a hurry to start feeding them anything until the roots have grown out through the sides on the cubes. The plants will develop a better root ball if you start them out a little hungry.

I start feeding at around 350 ppm (1/4 strength) when the roots are out through the bottom of a 3.5" net pot and are ready for the DWC. Before that, they're in rooting trays with H2O and maybe a little fulvic acid. As for lighting, I keep them under a CFL until they're fully rooted....they don't need much of anything to start.
    Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
    400W HPS Mag Ballast
    GH Floro - DWC
    Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
    - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
    IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
    Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
    GH Maxi Series-DWC
    Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
    - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
    - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

I did my first a couple years ago. I killed the first two by adding notes two early, restarted with new seeds and grew some great plants. That time the second set I waited one week after sprout to add very low dose notes. My current I waited till second set of true leaves appeared and had roots coming out the bottom (on advice from other member) that wound up being 6 days after sprout. The girls are 3 weeks old and looking great now.

Fir lights once they sprout they need it.

Comment

Ive always added nutes as soon as they went into dwc and never had a problem. Grown several different strains of autoflowers and all got really big. Almost pound per plant. Im using General hydroponics nutes. Can take a pic in a bit when lights come on. Just started 12 Blue widow haze autoflowers. Second run as well
        640 watt hlg quantum board
        320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
        300 watt mars hydro sp3000
        150 watt hlg quantum board
        100 watt spider farmer led x2
        organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
        Water only i don't check ph
        6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X