Why is this happening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is this happening?

So both my plants are potted on my deck (next to a couple tomato plants). I have an automated water system that has been watering my plants every day at 8am for 5 minutes, enough water to soak the soil. They were doing ok until a couple weeks ago when the yellowing started and it has gotten worse. I'm hoping someone can help and tell me what's wrong or what I'm doing wrong? Like am I watering too much?

Lower fan leaves dying off is perfectly normal. Not being able to see the entire plant, I can't say if you're watering too much.

Comment

The first picture just over a week ago, the second is today.

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Howdy Baron164, I'm not a soil grower, but the containers look very small for plants of that size. Could be that they are getting 'root bound' and not getting the nutrients properly. I have seen this before on other potted plants.

• Baron164
        Baron164 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually bought bigger pots for this season, they are 18" across and 16" deep.

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        yes i think everyone is right, those big plants tend to use lower shaded leaves when needed, and by the size of the pot its definitively needed right away. even if you try to feed more the roots will not be able to intake enough nutrients and water to keep up and will continue to cannibalize. you need a bigger pot, you are right on time to transplant, the plant needs to stuck up on nutrients for flowering

Can be perfectly normal, looks like they are eating the lower leaves (using the mobile nutrients, I am no expert,,,)

Comment

You can see the yellowing leaves low down in the first pic, those aren't the issue.
        What are you giving them for nutrients?
        They need to be fed right up until the last week or so of budding but you need to cut your nitrogen (N of the NPK scale) way down, almost taking it completely out, but not completely as they do need just a wee bit throughout.
        Everything looks good except they may need a shot of nutes.
        Are you using anything to aid budding and/or terpene production?
        We use a combination of Beastie Bloomz and Terpinator and are getting fantastic results.
        Good luck !

Comment

This is my first year using these pots, they are actually bigger pots than last year. There was yellowing last year and I bought bigger pots to help with that. Also, other pots weren' big and heavy enough to keep the wind from knocking them over.

So far for food I've been using "Miracle Grow Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food" and it says to feed every 7-14 days.

Comment

• Baron164
            Baron164 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think those pots are 15 gallons. How well do the cloth pots hold up to repeated uses? I don't really wanna buy new pots every year.

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            they do very well you only have to rinse between uses, i dont think theyre that big, but anyhow just by looking at the plant size you can tell they need a bigger pot

• GreenState
            GreenState commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd agree with others on your nitrogen levels. Not sure where you live, but I'd be cutting back this time of year. Get some bloom nuets
            Your MG "Ingredients: Total Nitrogen (N) (24%) (Ammoniacal Nitrogen (3.5%), Urea Nitrogen (20.5%), Available Phosphate (P?O5) (8%), Soluble Potash (K?O) (16%), Boron (B) (0.02%), Copper (Cu) (0.07%), Water Soluble Copper (Cu) (0.07%), Iron (Fe) (0.15%), Chelated Iron (Fe) (0.15%), Magnesium (Mn) (0.05%), Chelated Magnesium (Mn) ..."

I'm a soil grower but I never used Miracle grow on my MJ. And I agree with above statements, pots to small and could be drainage issues.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I used Miracle grow back about '69, only 1 time in the spring, I hated the taste it left behind in the finished buds, and stopped using it.

Comment

I would hand water in soil...and only when the pots are light when lifted or just dry about an inch deep. You may be creating a too moist environment for root zone and they will rot.
              coco coir would work great for the setup you have btw.

I'd definitely flush the miracle grow out and start with good mj nutes if you have that option.

. This is my two cents.

Comment

I'm looking at larger cloth pots now, can anyone recommend some good nutes? There are so many options I don't know what to buy.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  stick to easy to find, easy to use and low cost. i think general hydroponics is available everywhere and online, never tried it but its the main recommendation from the GWE site. its called Flora series and its micro, grow and bloom

• Baron164
                  Baron164 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So this stuff?

General Hydroponics Flora Grow, Bloom, Micro Combo Fertilizer set, 1 Quart (Pack of 3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017H73708..._vYBrDbEVQ3EGM

• 9fingerleafs
                  9fingerleafs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes those, remember never feed the doses the company recommend, start by adding 1/4 to 1/2 the recommended dose and see how the plant likes it

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X