Burnt/Lost Terpenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt/Lost Terpenes

Hey all! This is my first grow and it was very hot for about a week. The temperatures in the basement where the grow tent is was in the 90's. Since then I've been able to get a handle on the temperature, but I've lost some of the smell that I had when I first flipped to flower. I'm at week 8 day 1 right now and I'm wondering if theres something I can do to promote terpene growth.

I've heard people had good luck with this but you can taste it if you over do it. https://www.terpinator.com/

Comment

How far into flowering are you?
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        yes thats very important, usually plants will have an early flowering smell, a late flowering smell, and a dried and cured smell, sometimes they overlap sometimes the smell changes radically

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm now 8 weeks into flower.

Comment

I had no idea there were different smells throughout flower, but this is how they're looking right now.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Your plants look to be close to done, so I'd say it will be what it is.
          Terpenes and cannabinoids vaporize at different temperature.
          Ocimeme would be the first terp on the list vaporizing at 122f, mint parsley, pepper, basil mangoes, orchids, kumquats.
          Cannabinoids start vaporizing after 300f but do convert (decarboxylation) between 140f and 290f
          you nay have degraded/converted something do to heat and intense light but I would be curious if you're just getting used to the smell or the smell has changed rounding the corner to harvest. 90's is not ideal by any means but is not the end all.
          Good luck.

• VtGreen1965
          VtGreen1965 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's hard to tell from your pics, although they look like they're ready to go.
          By the way, it's a good idea to keep your pets out of the grow room, especially when you're this far into bud. I say this because in your last picture I see a lot of what I assume is dog hair all over your buds.
          Happy Growing!

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with Mr.furley. Full vaporization probably did not occur. But higher temps cause partial vaporization, and loss of terpenes. There will still be some left over...just less. Lesson learned for next grow.

Do they really, I've been afraid to harvest too early. I can see that a portion of my trichomes on each plant look like they've become amber. But I'm honestly having trouble differentiating between cloudy and clear trichomes.

Comment

• quietlybinary
          quietlybinary commented
          Editing a comment
          I know many people go to the extent of looking closely at trichomes with loupes and magnification tools. I also do not have any magnification tools and when I used a loupe it was a bit confusing for me because every sort of frame looked very different. But from your pictures,we can sort of see the coverage of frost almost dominating the green color of the plant in a creamy way, I think this is because of the cloudiness in your trichs. This is just my opinion though!

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          What strain and what is the breeders expected date. A clear up close picture can be zoomed in on.

Originally posted by Smokesteve View Post
        I've heard people had good luck with this but you can taste it if you over do it. https://www.terpinator.com/
        I swear by it, we buy it in bulk and use it for the entire budding season up until the last 2 weeks.
        It's a great product, in my opinion.

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed, but with maybe only two weeks left for this grower it's pointless now.

I unfortunately don't know what strain they are, they were part of some bag seed a buddy of mine had been slowly accumulating over the past year or so

Comment

That's about the clearest picture I was able to get
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            That a nice clear picture. She is close.

How much longer would you say? Sorry, like I said this is my first grow, I usually have tons of questions lol

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            I see Amber, cloudy, and clean. What hind of hogh are you looking to get? Any more clear pictures of the buds and plant?

Honestly I'm just hoping the plants get me high in general, don't really have a preference in terms of what kind of high. I just don't want sleep meds, I'm alright with some relaxing effect but I don't want to be couch locked

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            I would start flushing if your in Hydro or coco and plan on cutting within the next 7 to 10 days.
            Good luck.

Thank you so much! I appreciate all of your help 😊

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep your plant appears ready to your liking. Follow Mr.furley's advice and study the cure tutorial. Great job

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X