Can Anybody Identify This Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Anybody Identify This Problem?

Hhi guys, sorry, this is my first post and I have a problem/question. I'm a new (but incredibly enthusiastic!) grower. I've just blown (invested I say!) a grand almost on a new tent setup that I'm super excited about. I had two baby Hindu Kush autoflower already going when I put gbe tent together; they were previously on the deck in daytime and under a 1000w Higrow double chip led at night in my closet. Same thing once the tent was up, in that they still enjoy playing outdoors during the day, however at night now they live in reflective mylar with exhaust/filter, co2, fans etc. So, on night ONE in my tent I woke up to find the lower leaves dusted with brown decay (plz see photo(s)). Of course I almost cried. THEN I clipped a couple leaves and jumped on the car for a local weed grow supply place. SUPER nice people, they all had a pow-wow around the leaves I'd brought and peppered me with questions on any changes I'd made. Nobody, in the end, had a clear answer. Together we decided I should flush the plants; trim any affected leaves IN CASE it's a virus (though its unlikely); once they dry out, it was encouraged I feed with Green Planet brand MEDI ONE
    4-3-3 one-part nutrient system. Did all that last night, and to add to that I switched from the Higrow lamp to a Phlizon 600w LED which has bloom & veg switches, and I put it only on the blue veg light, JUST in case it was getting too much light (unlikely with mostly lower leaf effects, I know, however the Higrow was too close for manufacturer recommendations due to the size of the tent. Does anyone have a more definitive idea of the likely culprit? Your help would be SO appreciated!! ;-)

Did you do a soil test ?
    It looks like a possible calcium deficiency more than anything, what have you been feeding them up until this point? And what are you using for soil? Does it have any nutrients or are you adding your own as you go?
    I agree with giving them a feed, good luck with them.

Comment

how-to-get-rid-of-spider-mites. calcium-deficiency These should help in rectifying your problems. You have the beginning stage of calcium def add a little Cal-Mag to your feed and it should correct itself. The big question is what is your Runoff PH ? It should be around 6.5 for efficient nute uptake. Also check the underside of your leaves for possible mites, they have some indicators. Good luck. Good Growing !!

Comment

• Trevret
        Trevret commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Colombo!! Your help is awesome! As mentioned in my response to VtGreen1965, my runoff is testing at EXACTLY 6.5, so that should be good. Headed out to pick up some Cal Mag. Thanks!

Hi there VtGreen, thanks so much for the advice and questions! I hope "Vt" is for Vermont, my favorite state! So! By soil test do you mean ph? Iii don't know much more than that yet, I'm new to this, just learning. I've got a ph reading of 6.5 for both. Up to this point I've been feeding what I could find at Walmart (I hadn't yet discovered the grow store when shopping) that had what I understood to be good for the vegetative stage: high nitrogen, low on the other two. The one that seemed to match closest was Schultz Orchid food with a ratio of 15-5-5. Of course, as mentioned, once I discovered the grow store I bought some more targeted, professional nutrients, however haven't had the chance to use it yet because I was told to wait until the soil dries out after the flush. For soil I'm using a mix of potting soil, super soil, and perlite. Does that help? Thanks! ;-)

Comment

• BudBoy2
        BudBoy2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also Trevret, look into Green leave nutrients.com. They have some great nutrients that stays ph stable and they will also send you a sample pack if you ask. Good for one whole grow and very simple to use. Just pay like 3-4 dollars shipping, good for hydro or soil. !

Hey Trevret, Whats happening i believe and ive had the same problem a couple of times. First i agree with the above comments. If your runoff is 6.5 thats good. Have you checked the soil ph? It can vary from what your runoff. A ph soil meter is what ya need. Cheap at Home Depo. When you go from outdoor lighting to indoor it causes the ph to get outa whack. Especially when the temps get hot and your plant absorbs all that heat in the pots. Then you bring it in at night with much lower temps and different lighting than its used to. That will cause spots on leaves first on the lower branches. When the soil temps get to warm it causes the ph to lower most likely. I would try and just grow outside or just inside and see what happens. You are using the correct soil, i use the same but with extra perlite for drainage. And the Cal-Mag helps too. Most likely the leaves with the spots won`t make it, they become kinda crisp. But try the tent or just outdoor and see what happens.

Comment

• Trevret
        Trevret commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the advice BudBoy2! Love the help and community here!! 😁✌

Your soil mix sounds right, I try to use local products so I use MooDoo soil, the Moogrow mixed with perlite, vermiculite and 10/10/10 granular nutrients for the soil and add other things as needed.
      Yes, the Vt is Vermont, the GREEN Mountain State.
      And I also highly recommend the Cal-mag, it's great stuff!
      It looks like you're in good hands here, there seems to be a lot of knowledge for the small grower, check out their plant problems pages, they have some top rate knowledge in there!
      Happy Growing!

Comment

• Trevret
        Trevret commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again VTGreen1965!! I live in BC now but grew up in Montreal, used to go down to Burlington all the time on weekends, sure miss it!! Please see comment below, and I also have a new post about a new problem; would love your advice! 🙂

Thanks guys!! So, I went out to and got some Cal-Mag (actually what I got was called Pro Cal 2-0-0 by Green Planet), and fed with a product called Miracle Harvest, as well as Green Planet's MEDI ONE 4-3-3. Had a minor crisis when I tested runoff after feeding and found the water testing BELOW 4; panicked and furiously flushed with PH Up until things looked improved again, came to find out it was the organic MEDI ONE - I guess you're supposed to add a bunch of PH Up to the final, mixed nutrient solution BEFORE feeding, as MEDI ONE radically reduces the PH! You'd think it would say that SOMEWHERE ON THE BOTTLE (!!) lol, freaked me RIGHT out! Or why don't they ADD some PH solution to the product to begin with? Anyhoo, by next morning all was well, babies have been doing great, UNTIL this morning! Woke up and looked into my tent to find THIS - please see photos attached of splotchy colored leaf - now, thankfully this hasn't (yet) affected more than a couple leaves, however it has me concerned. I've been fiddling with lights, could it be light burn? I've got a couple lights right now, about to get a third. So far, I've got a 1000 Watt Higrow Double Chip LED, and a 600 Watt Phlizon. I've now ordered, and expect tomorrow, a 1000 Watt Mars Hydro TS because, after reading about it, couldn't say no! (despite abusing my poor bank account until it cries - I need help lol...). Because the tent is only 5 foot tall (and factor in lost height due to pulley, clips, wires etc.) I'm barely able to get 24 inches between the plant and light. Not bad for the Phlizon, but a bit close for the Higrow I think (or not, I dunno, that's why I ask) and tomorrow the Mars Hydro TS.
      So, if NOT light (I realize it's unlikely light, was just a thought) could it be the over-watering that came with the flushing after my panic? Or the PH! I won't water again for awhile as they're saturated already, so I cannot do a runoff test (the advice above from BudBoy2 about a soil PH tester sounds good; haven't found a cheap one I trust tho -I've already got one of those analog 3 way test meters, it's really shite- and my budget is ALREADY burned). Anyway if you guys could give me your thoughts? Thanks! Side from the leaf issue, here's some more pics of where my girls are at - today is their 4 week birthday yaaaayyy!!✌😁

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X