Multiple plants, one pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple plants, one pot

Would it be ok to plant several plants in a large enough shared fabric pot? Thinking of doing one big pot as opposed to 4 smaller ones. I grow in living soil, and I want the soil ecosystem to be one big one. Want to put worms, etc.
    Last edited by s62; 07-24-2019, 08:31 AM.
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

As long as there is enough room for the roots and enough space between your plants there should be no problem. What size pot are you thinking?

Comment

65 gallon, maybe? I can’t remember exactly, tbh, but I have a huge Smart Pot that I was going to use.
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil
      Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

The only down side I can think of would be the inability to move your plants at all. And if the soil gets contaminated at all, all the plants would be affected. But with the proper training it would work for sure.

Comment

Excellent, thanks! I wasn’t sure if the roots would interfere with one another.
          Gorilla 3x3
          LEC 315
          Kind Soil

Comment

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            I would guess that 1 or 2 plants will duke it out to see who's bigger - all the other plants will suffer for it.
            You might be able to pull it off, but defoliating could be a challenge.

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s what I was afraid of. If that’s right, I’ll probably just avoid.

• Canuck147
            Canuck147 commented
            Editing a comment
            Doesn't hurt to try - if I were you and was going to go ahead anyways, plant them far apart.

A grow supply near me has one 15 feet across! That's huge!
          Are these Autos or Photos? Some might only put 1 Photo in 65 gallons, (I use 20) I would not see many issues with Autos.

Comment

Photos most likely. I’ve currently got my photos in 15 gallon smart pots.
            Gorilla 3x3
            LEC 315
            Kind Soil

Comment

I have done it. Just make sure to have enough soil and space to support the foliage.
              Train them to grow away from each other so they don’t compete for light.
              4x4 600w HID empty for summer
              3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
              2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
              running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I started fifteen in a 7 gallon bucket....The six left are a little bit dwarfed, because I'm just hunting for a couple of females to clone and bring inside, but I imagine you can scale this up to a full flower run.
                One thing to note: if one dies or is slow or male and you cut it down, you'll leave a pretty hot decaying root ball in your media that might not make the neighboring plants too happy. None of mine had gone too far so pulling the root balls of the non contenders wasn't a problem.

Canuck147 coined the term 'forest in a bucket' Click image for larger version

Name:	20190724_214553[1].jpg
Views:	789
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	324924 ...I like it.

Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
                400W HPS Mag Ballast
                GH Floro - DWC
                Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
                - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
                IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
                Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
                GH Maxi Series-DWC
                Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
                - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
                - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

Got this from a friend, her neighbor has done 2 in 1 large pot for years(decades?) apparently. I recall reading about a comparison grow between a multiple plant pot vs LST, just gotta remember where I read/saw it
                  Meesta's Grow
                  2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

Thank you for your feedback and help, folks. So it sounds like, on the whole, I could do it, but I may have some issues that make it a bit of a challenge. I think for now I’ll stick to 1 plant per pot, but I may revisit this for future grows.
                    Gorilla 3x3
                    LEC 315
                    Kind Soil

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X