Advice - Capturing Trichome Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - Capturing Trichome Pictures

I've seen a few really great shots in some of the threads here, and didn't see a specific topic (in the first few pages at least). So I'm looking for recommendations to get decently high quality trichome pictures.

I got a KINGMAS 60X (Clip-On Microscope Magnifier Universal Lens with LED/UV Lights), for 7$ and it was worth the money, but does not give me the quality I'm looking for.

I also recently purchased Carson MicroFlip 100x-250x LED and UV Lighted Pocket Microscope for 19$, but it has not arrived yet.

But I have the budget for about 100$ IF I can find something that is worth it quality wise, and not overly complicated to transfer the images.

Please share some shots from your Carson. I almost bought that same unit, but ended up opting for less zoom. Unit arrives tomorrow. I’m excited to see what kind of pics I can get with it!

Up until now, I’ve been using the Xenvo Pro Lens. It’s fine, but not quite good enough.
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

My experience: you get what you pay for. I bought a Carson and a pluggable digital microscope, and I never could get either one to focus well. I think you need expensive equipment to get those really professional pics of triches. I just use my iphone camera to take pics, and I have the app SuperVision+ as well, which can get some semi-decent pics, but nothing like special camera lenses...
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Ardek
        Ardek commented
        Editing a comment
        yea, I don't mind paying a little more for a good quality one; I just still haven't been able to find definitive reviews on the more expensive ones that make me feel confident to dropping the $$

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Ardek And there's so much CRAP flooding the market, Amazon is the king of selling crap in that sense. Cheap crap.

SupervisionPlus, eh? I’ll have to give it a try. Been using default photo app. Bummed to hear about the Carson. I have an expensive DSLR... maybe I should just buy a macro lens for it. Will try to get some trich shots with it later today (using standard telephoto lens).
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil
      Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        SuperVision+ it's a good app!

• RagWeedDWC
        RagWeedDWC commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Nikon, and a 100mm macro. I still take sh@t pictures compared to some of the shots on this forum. Its not the lens.... its how you use it …. hahahahahahha

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        lol, that’s the truth

I just ordered the Learning Resources Zoomy 2.0 Handheld Digital Microscope, Blue from Amazon, specs look pretty good, 54x mag, USB interface, stills and video, too...I'll post more after it arrives.

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do that! I’m personally hunting for one that works on my phone, but I may end up giving up on that.

• Ardek
        Ardek commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea, ditto, please post pics up from it.

My issue is that iPhone/apple does not allow any external imaging devices to directly interface to their phones. They have to have an app developed and released through apple, which I'm fine with only cause I'm not in a rec legal location. But I would rather not rely on that long term.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had one of those digital microscopes, but my dumbass, couldn't ever figure out how to use it,
        Got plenty of loupes, but don't use them much anymore either, but they work fine, for looking at trichs.
        I rarely check trichs anymore, and if I do I use a good hand held magnifying glass.Really easy.
        I tried for a long time trying to learn how to use one like Farmall just for pictures, but never learnt how.

hoping to have it in a week or so, will definitely post some pics!

Comment

I use this I got it off eBay takes good pics but has to be connected to a computer they also sell a wifi compatible one

Comment

Here’s some pics

Comment

• duckman
            duckman commented
            Editing a comment
            looking good!

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            Very good! Great pics!

• Ardek
            Ardek commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are beautiful!! so can you see them before you snap? or you just snap a bunch and review them when sent to your PC? Also, does it zoom/magnify more/closer than that?
            Last edited by Ardek; 07-21-2019, 01:27 PM.

Here are some from my 7$ KINGMAS 60X (Clip-On Microscope Magnifier Universal Lens with LED/UV Lights) ... Clipped to an iPhone XR.

Worth the 7$... better than just my phone... but was looking for better.

Comment

And here are some from the Carson MicroFlip 100x-250x LED and UV Lighted Pocket Microscope for 19$ ... not really satisfied, I'm going to send it back. I tested it last night on a dollar bill (as my 12/12 flowering crop was in dark already), and was very happy with the quality of the device, but then this morning the LED light/button will not work.

Also, I had to clip a piece of my plant off and VERY carefully zoom/move it around to get these images. So this is 100X mag with no LED light, and that's the 'minimum' this device can go. I'd prefer to be able to take some at around 60x.

Comment

• s62
              s62 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for sharing these! I’ve got the Carson 60-120x pocket microscope, and I don’t love it. Thinking of sending back.

Very interesting shots I love it
            Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
            indoor/outdoor grower
            1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
            1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
            I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
            Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
            Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
            Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Yes you can see them on the screen before you take the picture

Comment

And yes there is a little bit more zoom

Comment

Thanks Aussiehomegrow I'm looking at getting one of those that have the iPhone app so I can use it wi-fi to my phone.. like those better than the two I have (sending the Carson back).

Comment

I’m also going to get the wifi model it’s only about another $20 I hate being attached to a computer and they do take really good pics I also use the capture button in the app to take pictures instead of the button on the camera you get to much movement if you try use the button on the camera hope your happy with your purchase 😁

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X