No announcement yet.

Cloning solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried cloning in just water. Figured it would be easy but I was wrong. Nothing will root. Sigh.

Comment

• Obi-Wan
      Obi-Wan commented
      Editing a comment
      Is your water aerated and or in an aeroponic system? How old was the mother plant when the cuttings were taken? Did you take from the top or the bottom of the plant?

I ask all these questions because they make a difference. Highly oxygenated water is important. Young plants don’t clone very well and new growth tends to dampen off before it roots. I’ve never experienced better rates of rooting with cloning gels and solutions than what I get with plain water. My experience is in an aeroponic cloner but I have a friend that uses a bubbler system and his rates are comparable.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      So far I find some strains to be difficult to clone, like the Mazar I Sharif, .I tried all year for clones and gave up as the mother died from root rot (outside). I pulled it, the next day there was still a branch. Setting in full sun with no roots, I put it in a cup of soil and only added water when the soil looked dry, she lived!
      Do tell us about your set up.

I have learned that 3-4 month old photo plants are easier to clone. I use small side useless branch with bud site. My 3wk old mama mia clones have roots now, took WW, Burnt Cookie, Durban Poison, they are only 10days old but they are green and upright don't see roots yet but any day.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I would like to add that I have been having a hard time getting roots. I have been getting from bottom but no luck. The first time I cloned the top of one of one and they rooted great.

Comment

Obi-Wan my plant was only about two months old and I took from the top. Plus just used plain water....
        i have a huge Aloe plant. So should I try another clone??? And what stick the end into the aloe gel then plant in dirt or stick in water???

Comment

• CC420710
          CC420710 commented
          Editing a comment
          From what I understand you put the aloe gel on end and plant in whatever median you choose. Then wait to see if it rooted any faster than your usual or did it even make a difference. I am looking to this humidity dome and whether it’s actually necessary to have it. I thought it was important but was reading others saying it’s not. I know that the ones that were covered rooted good but not the ones set out without a lid or cover. I don’t know if it has anything to do with it as this is my first time doing any of it but I can say with humidity dome gave better results than not having one but It’s just a theory. Also thought I read to take from bottom but I had better luck with top. I had a run in with fungus gnats so it’s hard to know until I try more

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I dont use a humidity dome, but I have high humidity, so if you need it in your area certainly use it! I spray them several times a day.
          Use the aloe just as you would clonex etc..

Well I think I will try the aloe gel and see what happens..can only try..it's funny though my cuttings don't roit but they keep leaving out.

Comment

So today was decided to stick the ends of my cuttings in some aloe vera gel and stick them into pots. If they grow great if not so be it. I'm tired of messing with them.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            GardenLady to you scrape the cutting just a bit then dip into water quickly then into rooting hormone? I will get a good glob on my cutting. Get a nice sturdy cutting not old woody branch but sturdy scrape it alittle at bottom.

I scraped the cutting yes. But maybe the plant wasn't old enough. And no I don't have rooting hormones.. one of the cuttings is wiltedπŸ˜’ but the others are still hanging in there. I think hink I really gobbed the gel on these.

Comment

When ever you guys lolipop the plants, or top them just practice cloning. Try different ways and find what works for you. After I see roots I have to let most of the girls go. But they were just gonna be thrown into the compost pile anyways. You will get very good at cloning fast.

At the farm we clone every monday. Some use clonex, some use plain water and just put them in soil not to high in nutrients. We then put them in clone domes and keep a close eye on them and mist as needed. Usually by friday we are seeing roots. We do it only on mondays because we only have a 1 man crew on the weekends.

At home I practice cloning everything. Angel Trumpets, hydrangeas, whatever I have. It's good practice and the rarer plants like Angel Trumpets make great gifts.
            You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• MeestaFeesha
              MeestaFeesha commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly what I've been doin! Although, it's more giving basil away like nobody's business!

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Great advice Spidermite.

I think the aloe gel really worked. The one clone that did wilt was brought back to life with the rain. And the others are still growing. Wow.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
              SoOrbudgal commented
              Editing a comment
              Good news GardenLady I just kept cloning till i got it down. Mine are at 3wks and stretching, 2 mama mia could be transplanted into 1gal. containers, 2 WW slowly coming into their growing i'm having trouble with a cookie strain but going to take some more this a.m. before work. It's so fun

• MeestaFeesha
              MeestaFeesha commented
              Editing a comment
              Aloe gel working here as well..honestly forgot about the cuttings for a bit there, the friend they're for started jammin me up. 7/9, the ones that didn't make it I had culled as they were too far behind.

Y
            i was surprised to see the one that was almost totally wilted. Even the top was limp. And after the rain I went out to look at them all and there it was all perked up..I'm sticking with the aloe gel. As I grow them as house plants anyway. Cooool .πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Comment

I just started some seeds about three weeks ago. I should have waited til spring. They germinated and I planted them but now they just aren't doing anything. I don't have a light system set up soooo i just wasted the three seeds.. oh well live and learn. I'm so new at this hour s. Arrgggghhh. πŸ˜’πŸ˜’

Comment

The latest clone, tangycycle is in a 20 gallon pot and looking good! Now I know it is not but it looked like a tap root shooting right out the bottom/cut and going straight down. I have not done a lot of clones yet, but it seems odd to me,,, all the others roots came out the sides of the limb. This gives me my 6 for the indoor grow, all others will be given away.
                I will make more for practice, the Mazar I Sharif is doing better than it did outside in the to wet we had this spring (almost lost her) and this clone was done in full sunshine with nothing but dirt (rain), all other attempts failed,, "oh there you are, well live or die"! Given that choice she chose to live,,, next run I will add 1 aspirin per gallon of water.

Comment

This is kind of amusing. At least to me. I tried cloning. And took a couple of clones of off 2 month old plants. But they wouldn't root until I stuck them into aloe vera gel. So they didn't grow at all. Now they have rooted and started to grow.. but because they are as old as the mother plant they have Started to bud. And they are only about 4 inches tall. Lol. Maybe next year I'll start the clones in May I instead of July. All my plants have to be outside. At least for this year. I know a lot of you are shaking your heads right now and laughing. But hey. This is the way I learn. πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜—lol lol lol

Comment

• Rwise
                    Rwise commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Must be autos, they make a nice sampler,,,,

I did that once or twice lol you are just going to end up with a single fat cola or 2 not a loss in my books. Glad the Aloe helped I brought this up here or somewhere someone asked about cloning gel turns out the ones interested had free aloe gel growing in they’re backyard lol sorry clonex

Comment

• MeestaFeesha
                    MeestaFeesha commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha, you know, I didn't realize that before. Everyone had an aloe plant! πŸ€˜πŸ˜‚

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X