Help - Nitrogen Toxicity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Nitrogen Toxicity

Hello all, I'm new to the forum here, so thanks for any advice in advance. So I used to grow many years ago, more as a hobby with junk left over seeds but I loved it! Now that its rec legal in my state, I've gone FULL in still as a hobby (for now). I've honestly learned SO much through this grow I cant wait until my next crop.

My Set Up:
    Using CMetal Halide 315W, in a 5x5 grow tent, 7 plants (Blue Cheese Purps) that are first generation clones, soil medium (organic), and Ionic Grow for soil nutrients in veg and flower (until I stopped, see bottom). I also had to treat with H202 a few times to treat fungus gnats (which are still mildly a problem, but I do not feel are affecting the roots) there is honestly enough material in the organic soil for the larva to munch for the small number of actual gnats I have left on sticky paper. I've also treated with SLF-100.

They are now in the middle of week 7 of flower, and had started to show some signs of nutrient burn about 3 weeks ago. I made the mistake of feeding in back to back watering in week 4 of flowering.
    I'm 99.999% sure it's nitrogen toxicity; as at first I was just noticing super slight dark browning of just a couple leaf tips (out of all the plants), but then I started noticing 'the claw' here and there.

Now I'm in week 7 of flower and it seems to be getting (very slowly) worse even though I have not fed them since the back to back mistake; many of the sugar leaves are browning (even though its hard to tell through the trichomes covering them).

So my question; is there a way to get the Nitrogen lowered without straight up 'flushing' the plants? Because of their set up with the nets needing to support them getting heavier by the day, I cant really move them at this point to put over the basement drains to flush them. Or should I just figure it out and start flushing them as they are in their last two weeks of flower anyway...?

Otherwise these girls have been just so BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so excited my brother did an outside grow of the same gen, so I will be able to get clones right before his start to go into flower

Your plants look fine Ardek and welcome to the forum. A little Nute burn is OK and if the color is correct in the pictures I wouldn't worry about nitrogen toxicity.

On a side note nitrogen is a mobile nutrient and is easily moved around the plant, if you feel that she has had to much and flushing is a pain just stop give it to her and let the plant "use up" What it can till harvest which doesn't look that far away.

good luck.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Welcome to GWE Ardek ! Have to agree with Mr.furley. No appearance of any issues except a nice grow. You should be very pleased with your success ! Good Growing !!

Comment

Hi Ardek and welcome to the forum!! I second what was said above! Your plant looks awesome, and you are a conscientious grower!!!
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Wow for a new grower those plants look perfect. I usually slowly raise my nutrients until I get very very small.brown tips on the leaves of one plant then back off. If they them start turning lighter green I raise the nutrients slowly until they return to their normal color.

By the way to much nitrogen will make your leaves dark green, thick, and hard. Let me see if I have a pic. Sorry no pics atm.
          You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Thanks for the warm remarks, I took a couple more pics today to maybe highlight the issue I feel I'm seeing.

I guess I'm just maybe overly conscientious, lol... As they were just spectacularly gorgeous the entire grow until I did the back to back feedings on accident, and since then they seem to be showing these browning on the tips, and the claw signs.

But as I mentioned, I'm in week 7.5 of flower, and the trichomes are starting to get where I want them , so I don't feel it really matters for this grow. I just want to hone my process and skills and not make the same mistakes the next crop.

Comment

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              I almost always see a bit of nitrogen clawing during flower, so I feed less micro, grow and bloom than recommended after week 5 of flower, but I keep the bud enhancing stuff and root protecting stuff at full strength.

• Ardek
              Ardek commented
              Editing a comment
              Good to know; I was using the same nuits for veg and flower. Technically is was supposed to be for both, as it was my first grow and didn't want to get too complicated, so i asked for something I could use on both. I'll make sure to get some bloom specific stuff for the next crop. the 'Ionic Grow for soil' worked beautifully during veg though and I still have a decent amount left so i'll use that in veg next time, and then switch in bloom. Thanks for your input/advice!

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              To much direct wind from a fan can also curl leaf.

Originally posted by Ardek View Post
            Hello all, I'm new to the forum here, so thanks for any advice in advance. So I used to grow many years ago, more as a hobby with junk left over seeds but I loved it! Now that its rec legal in my state, I've gone FULL in still as a hobby (for now). I've honestly learned SO much through this grow I cant wait until my next crop.

My Set Up:
            Using CMetal Halide 315W, in a 5x5 grow tent, 7 plants (Blue Cheese Purps) that are first generation clones, soil medium (organic), and Ionic Grow for soil nutrients in veg and flower (until I stopped, see bottom). I also had to treat with H202 a few times to treat fungus gnats (which are still mildly a problem, but I do not feel are affecting the roots) there is honestly enough material in the organic soil for the larva to munch for the small number of actual gnats I have left on sticky paper. I've also treated with SLF-100.

They are now in the middle of week 7 of flower, and had started to show some signs of nutrient burn about 3 weeks ago. I made the mistake of feeding in back to back watering in week 4 of flowering.
            I'm 99.999% sure it's nitrogen toxicity; as at first I was just noticing super slight dark browning of just a couple leaf tips (out of all the plants), but then I started noticing 'the claw' here and there.

Now I'm in week 7 of flower and it seems to be getting (very slowly) worse even though I have not fed them since the back to back mistake; many of the sugar leaves are browning (even though its hard to tell through the trichomes covering them).

So my question; is there a way to get the Nitrogen lowered without straight up 'flushing' the plants? Because of their set up with the nets needing to support them getting heavier by the day, I cant really move them at this point to put over the basement drains to flush them. Or should I just figure it out and start flushing them as they are in their last two weeks of flower anyway...?

Otherwise these girls have been just so BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm so excited my brother did an outside grow of the same gen, so I will be able to get clones right before his start to go into flower
            You can tell nitrogen toxity when the leaf ls dark green.

Comment

Here is what Nitrogen Toxicity looks like.

Comment

Yea, I did extensive research on the toxicity/deficiencies to try and pinpoint what it was. They were all dark green (until about a week ago) but I haven't fed nuits in 2 weeks cause I noticed that change; mainly it was the presence of 'the claw' on many of the leaves that was the give away. But I'll just have to adjust my flowering nuits for the next grow.

Another strange thing I've noticed, is the watering for these girls has gotten very strange in flowering. I was watering at 6.5-7 pH distilled water throughout the entire grow. But I was watering about once every 4 days (only a half a gallon per 5 gallon pot), but since defoliating in week 1-2 of flower, they are only taking a half a gallon per week (some of them less than that). I'm mainly going by the weight of the pots (I know what they feel like dry/thirsty), but I'm just really surprised they are not drinking much it seems. I'm leaning on the side of watering less tho, the pots/plants will tell me when they are thirsty, its just really surprised me.

Thanks for all your input/advice, I really appreciate it! Ill be sure to post a full beginning to end with pics. I know in the coming weeks (even with as much as I've read and watched YouTube) I will probably be asking about drying/curing advice.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X