Temp and humidity sensor recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp and humidity sensor recommendation

So I just wanted to post about my experience with hygrometers and to make a recommendation. I’ve tried several sensors, and found the bulk of them to be too inaccurate. Additionally, I was looking for something that I could use to track my temperature and humidity remotely. I didn’t like the idea of training a webcam on the sensor display. I wanted something that was designed for mobile display inherently.

Then I found SensorPush: http://www.sensorpush.com
    and my search was over.

SensorPush is a small wireless sensor (about the size of a half dollar but thicker) that allows you to check temp and humidity on your phone with the SensorPush app. The sensor itself is about $50, but it is accurate, small, and stupid easy to use. The only limitation with it is that you have to be within Bluetooth range for it to send updates to your phone.
    However, they also sell what they call a Gateway for ~$100. The Gateway takes the sensor data and pushes it to the internet so that you can check your temps, etc., on your phone from ANYWHERE. This takes the SensorPush from really good to amazing.
    The app is clean and easy to use. The setup is moderately simple. You not only get temp and humidity, but interactive charts that show your history of temps and humidity, as well as visuals showing their spread over time.

I know ~$150 is a lot for remote temp and humidity, but if you have the dough, I feel like it’s well worth it. I wanted to share in case anyone was looking for a reliable, elegant solution for monitoring. I’d also love Nebula to check it out and potentially mention it on GWE if she feels it’s a worthwhile addition to the site.
    And FWIW, I’m not shilling, just sharing. I’ll be doing some separate posts for other parts of my setup, like my Gorilla tent, but my SensorPush is definitely one of the cooler aspects of my grow.
    Finally, what do you all use for your setup? Pros and cons?
    Last edited by s62; 07-17-2019, 04:10 PM.
    Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

i use a wireless remote weather station from wallmarr...20$ ,,,,the monitor is small and sits on the table by my recliner, i can check temo and humidity with a glance,,,would be nice to have a Wi-Fi unit so i could check on the grow room while im tokin a big fattie and fishing.

Comment

• Spellbound
      Spellbound commented
      Editing a comment
      THAT is a fantastic idea.

Originally posted by Skunkaroo View Post
    would be nice to have a Wi-Fi unit so i could check on the grow room while im tokin a big fattie and fishing.
    Exactly! I was wanting to be able to check my stats while at work, out of town, etc.

Gorilla 3x3
    LEC 315
    Kind Soil
    Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

I have one of these as well. Glad to hear that you believe it to be accurate. I was able to calibrate the temp but don’t have Boveda calibration packs for doing the humidity sensor.
      I had a bunch of erratic readings for a few hours and discovered that the sensor didn’t like being in contact with anything that vibrates (pumps and fans).

Where do you keep your sensor in your grow?

cheers
      YYC
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

s62 I have a bunch of Caliber IV hygrometers (recommended by Nebula) for my jars, but nothing remote. Very cool, but what do you do if the humidity gets too high and you're at work??
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

alltatup totally reminded me that I forgot to mention what I actually DO with remote information from my sensor. I run my LEC, a dehumidifier, a heater, and a portable A/C all on Wemo smart plugs. This not only allows me to track electrical usage, but it also allows me to remotely turn any of these devices on/off. That way, if the humidity is too high while I’m at work (I work from home lol), I just hit a button on an app, and bam, humidity in check.
          As for jars, these sensors are small and would totally work in the jar, but I wouldn’t bother, as there’s nothing to be done with the data. Can’t remotely burp a jar lol. The Caliber IVs are probably better in this case because they display the data without you needing to check your phone.

YYCannabis I hadn’t noticed this! I mount my sensor at canopy height by using the adhesive pad it comes with on the wall of my tent. No real vibrations or movement there.
          Gorilla 3x3
          LEC 315
          Kind Soil

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X