Transplanting a seedling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Transplanting a seedling?

A couple people on the growing marijuana subreddit suggest transplanting the following Gorilla Glue (seedsupreme). She's only 13 days old and every video and guide out there says to transplant your plants at a much later stage when they're much bigger. The picture of her makes it look like there's not a lot of dirt in her cup but she actually has about an inch and a half of white space in it. What do you guys think?

Since the site said her flowering time was 8 weeks and it's been almost two, I'm a bit discouraged. Should I transplant her or wait?

If I do move her, it will be to her final pot which is a 5 gallon fabric pot. I'm using fox farm ocean forest.

I'm gonna assume it's a photo plant, are you already on a 12/12 light cycle from seed? As for up-potting, I wouldn't yet myself, looks like it sprouted and got to that height recently.
    Meesta's Grow
    2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

It could stay in the solo cup for a while...how long the "while" is, depends on how big it gets, not how old it is....that's assuming you're growing a photo and not an auto. Flower time is measured from the time the plant becomes sexually mature for photos...it's not related to when you stick the seed in the soil.

EDIT * Make sure there's some drain holes in your cup or the seedling will drown.
      Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
      400W HPS Mag Ballast
      GH Floro - DWC
      Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
      - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
      IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
      Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
      GH Maxi Series-DWC
      Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
      - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
      - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

You can Add a little soil to the cup and cover up the leggy stem.
        You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Originally posted by MeestaFeesha View Post
          I'm gonna assume it's a photo plant, are you already on a 12/12 light cycle from seed? As for up-potting, I wouldn't yet myself, looks like it sprouted and got to that height recently.
          Thank you for your help. I'm using an 18/6 light cycle with an LED, and it's a photo plant. I germinated her with paper towels and then planted her. I also didn't realize flowering time didn't mean from seed. Thank you guys!

Comment

• MeestaFeesha
            MeestaFeesha commented
            Editing a comment
            Righton bud, I was just browsing through all the Growing Topics on GWE last night..as I have the link right here I thought I would share.

Marijuana is becoming legalized in more and more places as people find out that it doesn’t cause much harm, has real medical benefits, and is a fun pastime that is safer than drinking alcohol. However, even for those who can legally grow marijuana, there aren’t many simple resources that explain from start to finish what...

Do you guys think I can grow one of my auto white widows next to her? I have a 1000 watt LED (that's how it was advertised). It's a cheap one I got off Wish, but it seems to be working for her now. The grow space is about 2 x 3 in a closet lined with Mylar.

Comment

• s62
            s62 commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn’t, as the auto will benefit from an 18/6 schedule for its entire life, versus your photo plant which will need it only during vege and then 12/12 for flower. Plus your photo is going to get taller than the auto, so your light will have to be higher for it, which will reduce the light your auto receives.

Do you think I should change my seedling's light schedule to 12/12? It would save some power. Maybe I could grow my other Gorilla glue (also a photo fem from Seedsupreme) next to her so that I'd get more in the end, because I was wrong when I thought it would take just 8 weeks from planting.

Comment

• Stahlherz420
            Stahlherz420 commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, do you think I could grow another photo just like her also, so that I'd get more yield in the end?

• Spellbound
            Spellbound commented
            Editing a comment
            No dude, I'm not sure what the exact consensus is but 45 days to 60 days is what I would be shooting for, then 12/12. From a clone, maybe 30- 45 days. Alot will depend on your setup.

You have to watch the LED lights for what they claim (watts)and what they actually are.

I wouldnt flower more than a single plant and see what you get. Better to flower too little than too much imho. You can always add more on grow 2.

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            If you put your seedling under 12/12s it will start to flower at about 3-4 weeks old and finish with a small crop from there. The plant will only get about 12" tall done this way.
            Autos tend to like 24/0 their entire grow
            I put mine in 20 gallon cloth pots, 5 is a bit small for photo plant

In my exp. in transplanting I use the leaves' growth tell me when. I transplant when the leaves start to grow past the sides of the container they are in I will move them to their final container for Photos. I have not done this with autos and from what ive read it is not advised.

Comment

In my opinion, I think you should look into how long you're going to have vegetative growth on your photo plant. How much space you have for how many plants is a factor as well, 2'x3'x?' 🤔. A closet so maybe 8', subtract ~20"(let's call it 2') for lights/ducts, ~12"(1') for a 5gal fabric pot, leaves roughly 5' of growing space, without accounting for the distance needed from your LED lighting.

A lot of the knowledge I'm pulling is from the GWE topics that I had listed in a previous comment. I think that you would benefit to educate yourself so that we can help you better as well, 🤘😎.
            -Meesta
            Meesta's Grow
            2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

• Stahlherz420
              Stahlherz420 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've tried to read up on everything I can before starting. I do know that once a plant enters the vegetative stage, you can force it to flower early (if it's a photo), but doing so will reduce your yield because it won't have as many places to produce those buds (I believe they're called Colas). Of course, if I don't have the space to grow a ton of colas, such as in an apartment closet, I may not want to let it grow for 8 weeks in veg.

Here is an example of what I am talking about, these are ready to be transplanted into their final home I will do this tomorrow. Leaves have over grown the pot.

Comment

• FatBoy40
              FatBoy40 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you, I'm trying to give back what I was given.

• Stahlherz420
              Stahlherz420 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're doing an excellent job of giving back to the community, and I hope to do the same once I learn more.

• FatBoy40
              FatBoy40 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, I'm more than happy to help a fellow grower.

I just transplanted the plants in the example picture above I showed last night. I put them all in 7 gal. smart pots. except the autos. The auto in the 5 gal plastic is my buddy's plant, I'm letting him grow it to get a feel for it before he gets started.

Comment

• FatBoy40
              FatBoy40 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes they are, I cut a small hole in the smart pot to do some LST.

• HappyDaze
              HappyDaze commented
              Editing a comment
              Lots of innovative ways people are coming up with to tie up their plants. I'll be interested to follow your next cycle.

• FatBoy40
              FatBoy40 commented
              Editing a comment
              I will be more than happy to. I'm making a video grow journal of this grow. Its for my sister. I will absolutely post it on here if I am able to. I will have it edited and looking pretty by the time I'm done with it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X