Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What could cause stunted growth? Pics included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What could cause stunted growth? Pics included.

Greetings, friends. The pic you see is my plants at 11 weeks. I have changed the soil out with the same kind. Then I bought a different potting soil, altogether, and changed the soil again with that. I always pHed my water with or without nutes added. I have NO insect issues. Plenty of airflow. Temps are good. Humidity was usually <25% during all this time. The only thing I can think of is that I have some kind of plant disease.
    I tried telling the seed bank that their seeds are bunk. This isn't my 1st grow, either. I've had prior success under these conditions.
    Is there anyone here that can name a plant disease that can cause stunted growth while what grows above the soil, looks OK?
    AMS Supreme, auto-fems from AMS.
    Using FOX FARMS Happy Frog soil in ~2 Gal pots.
    Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
    4' x 4' grow tent
    6" inline exhaust system
    Growing in an outdoor structure w/ no HVAC system

I put my plants into the flower phase one week ago in an attempt to take advantage on the "flower stretch" period, in an attempt to save an otherwise lost growing season. If next season's grow turns out fruitful, it'l mean ~18 months w/o smoking anything.
    Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
    4' x 4' grow tent
    6" inline exhaust system

Comment

Not enough light.

Comment

Originally posted by kingfish View Post
        Not enough light.
        Plenty of light. There has been one of my two Viparspectra v450w lights on those plants since birth. Had they propagated as expected, I would have added the other light, long ago. I have added 4 A19 style LED bulbs in the red spectrum, since putting them on a 12/12 cycle for added measure. IMO, it can't be a light issue if they grow so poorly at the height that they are, still. With the bloom lighting now on, they've had another 100 watts of light exposure for the last week, and haven't even grown an inch.
        4' x 4' grow tent
        6" inline exhaust system

Comment

• kingfish
          kingfish commented
          Editing a comment
          I stand by my answer. I use 1000w HPS for flowering at 6000 lumens at the canopy and never had a light issue.

Originally posted by growsomebuds View Post
        I have changed the soil out with the same kind. ... and changed the soil again
        What does changing your soil mean? How do you do that without damaging/shocking the roots?

Is there anyone here that can name a plant disease that can cause stunted growth while what grows above the soil, looks OK?
        I helped a guy once who had a similar problem. His plants were going nowhere for 6-8 weeks. I thought air, temps, light. After a week of suggestins, I told him to double the strength of the nutes. It was the only thing left. If it killed them it would spare hm the agony of chopping them down. They grew like *beasts*.

They'd been hungry the whole time. I've never seen that before. When my plants are hungry, they don't just sit there in a bonsai state. They show symptoms of deficiencies.

So, maybe you should feed one plant 25% stronger, one 50% stronger. The other 100%. Make it a learning experience. What do you have to lose?

The only thing that makes me skeptical about this advice is that you've grown before, using the same system. You haven't changed nutrients, right? If that's true, then I doubt it's like I'm theorizing. But, I've seen something weird once. You're going to have to cut your losses anyway.

Comment

@az200, I replaced the soil w/ fresh soil of the same product. 3 weeks passed before I replaced and up-potted using soil from another company. It's been more than a month since last doing this. This does stress the plant out, of course. However, my growth issues presented long before I ever performed the 1st soil replacement.
          Midway during last years grow, I was running low on the Fox Farms trio of nutes, so I replaced them with GH brand of nutes. For my next feeding, I'm going to switch back, and use up the remaining FF nutes. I've even upped the nutes a little, now that I'm in the flower cycle and not using the high in Nitrogen bottle of GH nutes.
          Thanks for your input, az200. I appreciate it!
          4' x 4' grow tent
          6" inline exhaust system

Comment

I believe you induced the dwarfing with the blue light you're running...full spectrum lighting is my standard unless I'm trying to manipulate the growth with spectrum control...IE intentionally trying to shorten a lanky strain by reducing red spectrum.
            Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
            400W HPS Mag Ballast
            GH Floro - DWC
            Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
            - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
            IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
            Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
            GH Maxi Series-DWC
            Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
            - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
            - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

Originally posted by HappyDaze View Post
              I believe you induced the dwarfing with the blue light you're running...full spectrum lighting is my standard unless I'm trying to manipulate the growth with spectrum control...IE intentionally trying to shorten a lanky strain by reducing red spectrum.
              Negative. You do realize that you use longer wavelength(blue spectrum) lighting during veg? I started with only my Viparspectra V450 LED light with only the 'veg' light switched on, as per manufacturer instructions. When I put my plants into flower last week, I also switched on the 'bloom' light, as the manufacturer instructs. I also added 4 led bulbs in the red spectrum for shits and giggles.
              4' x 4' grow tent
              6" inline exhaust system

Comment

• HappyDaze
                HappyDaze commented
                Editing a comment
                I do "realize" what variable spectrum lighting does...I use it. The reason your plant is short = blue spectrum lighting you've been running...."manufacturer's recommendations" be damned.

Negative. You do realize that you use longer wavelength(blue spectrum) lighting during veg? I started with only my Viparspectra V450 LED light with only the 'veg' light switched on, as per manufacturer instructions. When I put my plants into flower last week, I also switched on the 'bloom' light, as the manufacturer instructs. I also added 4 led bulbs in the red spectrum for shits and giggles.
              I have to respectfully disagree. This light I use uses LEDs running 12 wavelengths of light. In nature during veg growth the light spectrum should be in the blue range, as it mimics the sun shining high in the sky. In the fall, the sun is low in the sky, causing the sun's rays passing through the atmosphere to have less of the blue spectrum. This results in more light reaching the plants in the red spectrum. And this, combined with shorter days signals the plant to begin flowering.
              Also, I've successfully grown a plant under this LED light last year. I trust the maker of this light to employ the proper spectrum of LEDs for the veg stage.
              4' x 4' grow tent
              6" inline exhaust system

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X