Problem with Celestron 5 MP Handheld Digital Microscope Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Celestron 5 MP Handheld Digital Microscope Pro

My 5 year old Celestron Digital Microscope developed a problem a few months ago. Researching it on-line showed this is an ongoing, and common problem. Celestron customer service was of no help, but offered to issue an RMA for return and repair free of charge. Usually dismissed as a incompatibility with Windows 10 the actual problem is in the USB cable where the LED dimmer control is junctured. Poor design being the culprit I isolated the problem to solder connections that were intermittently making and breaking contact giving the message device not detected. Getting into the control housing was a chore requiring the use of a spudger tool (usually used to pry open Apple iPhones). Once inside I easily affected repairs resoldering the connections. Of course I have a digitally controlled Weller soldering station, but with a low power iron, and a small enough tip you should be able to resolder this miniature Surface Mount Technology board. If you have this microscope you are bound to develop this problem eventually. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0260.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	319728

Dude, you would make a good ham.

Comment

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      there are several ‘hams’ on the forum. But some of us are older.....My ears are still sore from Those cans at the FCC building on Canal Street and that was 4 decades ago and I’ve never used the equation for velocity factor in a cable. 😂. didididah. _ _ ... ...__
      Last edited by Farmall; 07-14-2019, 07:04 PM.

No I am not an amateur. I hold a commercial 1st class radiotelephone license.

By the way if your Celestron should develop this common problem I had there customer service offering to repair it for free. They were willing to do this knowing the microscope was 5 years old, but I opted to repair it myself.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X