Strange seedling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange seedling

Alright, so I'm currently growing 3 clones and 3 seedlings in my veg area. Most of the clones and 2 seedling are taking off pretty well, but this one seedling is confusing me a bit.

This seedling started off by stretching under the cfl i had it under when it first popped. I moved the light closer and seemed to get the stretching under control. I had some issues getting the roots to come out of the net pot on this one too but i got that taken care of and it's a bit behind the others now.

The main problem is that it seems to be growing everything super compact and small on top of it's lengthy stem. I had the stem supported while letting it vibrate with some airflow so it stands on it's own just fine but, but not sure if i need to back the light off it to let the nodes stretch a bit now or leave it to grow out and let it sort itself out.

This is my only white widow seed i have (was a freeby) so im doing what i can to keep it going so i can take some clones later on.

Wow, that's interesting, cuz it looks like she's growing good (though I can't really see anything in your pics--way too dark). I'd definitely support the stem.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Is that a 6500K bulb or full spectrum? I recently started a Blue Dream and it was extremely compact until about the third week and I was worried. As soon as I turned up the red spectrum, it stretched to a more normal growth pattern.
      Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
      400W HPS Mag Ballast
      GH Floro - DWC
      Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
      - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
      IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
      Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
      GH Maxi Series-DWC
      Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
      - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
      - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

• Jsimo
        Jsimo commented
        Editing a comment
        It's currently under a viparspectra 450 on veg switch only, i was thinking about turning bloom on as well for some reds, i just didn't know if the stem would stretch more as well

• HappyDaze
        HappyDaze commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't notice that thin main stem initially. Maybe inspect the stem down to where the roots start. What's under the caps? I've had some green shite grow on the top of the RW which caused stem rot. It wasn't at all apparent when you were just looking at the nice green top.

I just grew a Sour 60 that was very compact and short for the 1st couple weeks, mine didn't stretch but looks the same as yours. It maxed out at 14" and yielded 2.5oz dry. You may have a winner there.
      Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
      Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
      36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
      4 bulb T5's for Veg.
      2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
      IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
      3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

I tried to get a bit better pictures by turning the reds on as well but the LEDs are just a pain to get pictures under and it's the only light i have in that room. The stem looks great, no sign of anything funny that i can see, I've had it loosely supported just so it doesn't blow too far over but can still wiggle around to strengthen, it seems to be getting stronger every day. The nodes are looking to be spacing themselves out a bit more i think, i just thought it was really weird that it looked like a damn lollipop lol. Looked up my seed order receipt and i guess this seed came from canuk seeds, so I'm not super sure on how quality it'll be, haven't seen a lot of great reviews on that particular breeder.

Comment

• uncledoug
          uncledoug commented
          Editing a comment
          You could turn the led off and take a picture with a flash.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          I see the stem--sort of. Just make sure it has support cuz it looks like it's gonna get top heavy unless that stem really starts to thicken up. But the growth up to looks fine.

You have to realize that we can't see what you can see in the blurple light. You gotta turn it off and yes, use the flash on your phone.

As then stem thickened it was easy to tell something wasn't right. I think i have it taken care of but don't know if itll recover or not. It's roots have about doubled since I've been working with it, and it has definitely looked healthier, but that stem hasn't done much.

Comment

• HappyDaze
          HappyDaze commented
          Editing a comment
          Repeat of comment 3.2 ... Looks like there's algae growing on your starter cube causing that stem rot. I'd remove as much of the media the slime is on as possible to get the base of the stem dried out.

• Jsimo
          Jsimo commented
          Editing a comment
          Well i had assumed that was something from the great white i sprinkled over it, what i did was squirt some h202 on it, then a few days later some hydroguard and sprinkled the area with great white. Some of my big plants in flower have the same looking cubes that only started after the great white. But maybe i should hit it with h202 again. Just trying not to kill off the beneficials in the water

• HappyDaze
          HappyDaze commented
          Editing a comment
          This is another example of a problem resulting from the use of additives IMO. The additives are feeding the slime and damping off the stem...my first concern would be controlling that rot....not worrying about cultivating beneficials in my rez.

Well the plant continued to grow, but that spot never thickened and it bent over when i tried adjusting it's support. So basically rather than try to straighten it again and see if there spot that wouldn't grow would eventually grow, i chopped it up into a bunch of clones and am trying to root those to keep it alive. Time will tell if any of them take since most are fairly small.

Here's a picture of the main stem I'm hoping will root, you can see how compact it was growing, outside of that it extends up and only has 1 more node that i had pinched the top above. I have 8 branches outside of that main stem that all came from that cluster.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X