Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me understand watering coco in smart pots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Help me understand watering coco in smart pots.

Hello!

Starting my second grow - the first is still ongoing but hasn't gone well, and I think my watering process has been a big part of that.

I'm using 3-gallon smart pots (https://www.amazon.co.uk/GardenMate-...gateway&sr=8-2).

Previously I used 100% coco (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

This time I'm using 20% perlite 80% coco.

The problem I'm having is getting run-off.

On my last grow I read a lot about watering to 10-20% run-off for each watering.

However, when I watered the 100% coco it took so much water to get ANY run-off at all that I ended up massively over-watering the plants if I tried to get run-off.

Now I've set up the 3 gallon pots with the perlite/coco mix and am trying to prime them with PHd CalMag water - I've already put in 1.5L to each pot and still zero run-off.

I'm not really sure what to do - it doesn't seem right to need to put in several litres at each watering, and when I have watered to run-off before it's ended up taking 5+ days for the top inch to become dry enough again for watering.

At this point I'm just a little lost at what watering process to follow. I feel like if I water to run-off I will always over-water.

Many thanks for everyones' thoughts on this!!

Hi InvertedAxis
    my opinion is you still need to add more perlitr, I would suggest 60% coco and 40% perlite.the more Perlite the easier you will achieve runoff.
    you should get runoff with a gallon of water and though everyone does it different I water to runoff then let the pot dry out for a couple days then water again.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.furley View Post
      Hi InvertedAxis
      my opinion is you still need to add more perlitr, I would suggest 60% coco and 40% perlite.the more Perlite the easier you will achieve runoff.
      you should get runoff with a gallon of water and though everyone does it different I water to runoff then let the pot dry out for a couple days then water again.
      In the early stages, do you water the entire pot? Or just around the plant?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X