Hermie plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hermie plants

So if you have a plant that has gone hermie from stress are you able to take the hermie traits out from those seeds. By growing them out and breeding it with another plant or would those seeds still carry those hermie traits? I'm in this situation now. I've crossed it back with the genetics that I want to keep and now I've crossed the new seeds with a different plant in a last attempt at saving these genetics. So basically what I'm trying to ask is am I wasting my time with all this breeding?

I'd suggest that you probably won't know if the hermie tendency is carried forward in the genetics of your seeds, or if it was primarily stress induced until you grow out the seeds. Feminized seeds are all the product of a hermie parent.
    I've grown out a few "stress" seeds that never displayed any hermie tendencies, but they weren't the result of a backcross, so maybe I'm out to lunch.
    Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
    400W HPS Mag Ballast
    GH Floro - DWC
    Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
    - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
    IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
    Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
    GH Maxi Series-DWC
    Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
    - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
    - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

All carry the the gene to hermie, I have read many opinions on breeding these from we are killing/destroying our favorite plant, to amazing genetics,,,, I may get to read a few more!

Oh ya welcome to GWE both of ya!

Comment

yes like others said all plants can go hermi in an attempt to survive but how much stress can they go tru without making pollen is definetly a trait you can breed into. so you are not wasting your time. if you had a truly hermaphrodite strain there is nothing you could do to revert it because it is actually an evolutionary step forward, most plants are hermie because it works. im talking wild hemplike cannabis that you find all over the world, this definitely doesnt happen with bought seeds

Comment

Howdy Seanp, I have grown seeds from hermied plants that without the stress factor (high temperatures and lighting outages being the most common) did not produce seeds. I think that the plants all carry the tendency to self propagate when stressed. In the absence of a male pollen donor the female plant produces seeds. I do not know if a male plant would produce seeds when stressed as well.
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            it sure does, you could have male-ized seeds if you wanted to, just like feminized

Thank you all for the help and welcomes to the community. It originally hermied due to stress from taking to big of a clone or from stress from the fluctuations in the environment. That's at least what my guess is. I'm still kind of a newish grower. 9fingerleafs the original breeding was from bag seeds from dispensaries. But the new plant that it was breed with was a bought seed from elev8 seeds. But hopefully I didn't make a Male-ized plant like you said. But thanks again from you all for all the help and I'm looking forward to talking to you all in the future. I'll post a picture of the finished product if it's not another hermie

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            dont you worry, there would have to be some male to male action in order to maleize. worst case scenario you have a good plant that throws a few bannanas.... no big deal

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X