PH keeps dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO PH keeps dropping

Hello all, was wondering if someone can tell me why does my ph keep dropping and the ppms rise? In DWC i know you have to keep the res. temp below 70degrees. Mine rose slightly one day to 73 degrees and it just seems like i am always raising the ph. This happens over night every day. I keep the water temps down with ice bottles also. The plant seems to be doing well so it just has me confused. Plus i have a fan blowing on the air pump as to not blow hot air into res. Any suggestions are welcome, Thanks

Is it a new system? New plastic has a tendency to ph flux. It’s totally normal and should stabilize after some given time. Also Large plants in small volume systems will be more susceptible to pH fluctuations. Lower EC/ppm’s will also see pH swings as there are fewer dissolved solids to buffer the pH.
    lastly how are you checking your PH? your pen has been calibrated?
    Iv found Advanced Nutrients PH perfect technology works great..
    I had the same problem with PH rising and the information above was offered to me in this forum and now my PH is fine.
    Last edited by Davross; 05-19-2019, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Obi-Wan
      Obi-Wan commented
      Editing a comment
      pH dropping with a rise in ppm’s is normal so long as it’s not a crazy swing down. Higher ppm’s generally means a more acidic solution so a lower pH makes sense. It’s also common to see this if you are taking your initial reading immediately after mixing your nutrients. I generally let it sit 10-15 minutes before I check. If your plants are taking in a significant amount of water over night contributing to the ppm increase, it could be a sign that the ppm’s are set higher than what the plant requires. If the pH is dropping significantly over night, meaning it drops more than .5 or it drops out of range, it could be a sign of an issue in the root zone.

• BudBoy2
      BudBoy2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your help Davross, yes it is a new system that i built and It has a resevoir now with a selve watering bucket. I am just trying one plant for now to see how it works and so far it is. But i do understand now what you mean. Oh and i use Mega Crop nutrients which stays pretty much stable after a day or so. I do calibrate my ph pen often just could not figure out why it was doing this but i get it now and thank you for your help!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X