Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Rotten Stems

Hi folks,

ive got an intermittent problem with some of my vegging plants getting rot at the base of the stem. It leads to the plant falling over and often dying.
    I germinate from seed all the time and use Root Riot cubes then move to Grodan delta cubes before putting them on an NFT tray. Only affects 1 in 4 plants usually but sometimes 2 in 4. To be clear, all plants are grown in the same way, same environment at the same time. Some go bad, some don’t.

It happens after the cubes are root bound and I switch the NFT water on.
    This is all in veg stage. They’re under a 250w light 18 hour cycle and fed canna hydro appropriately. Small fan on and a temp range between 21-26 Celsius.

Its started around 2-3, 8 week cycles ago and I first thought it was too much moisture around the base of the stem. I changed where the water went to avoid the base but it’s not made any difference.

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance

Howdy Spit3943, Do You have a 'drip' line system or are You watering periodically? It looks as if too much water is keeping the stem wet enough for mold or fungus, or even algae to grow on the stems. I use the rockwool cubes instead or the peat moss type of cubes because they do not retain as much water in them, allowing the stems to be a little drier. I have also see this problem when a top feed drip line is used instead of a drip line at the bottom of the cube (ala Bubbleponics system).
    Good luck with Your grow.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Originally posted by DW2 View Post
      I have also see this problem when a top feed drip line is used instead of a drip line at the bottom of the cube (ala Bubbleponics system).
      Good luck with Your grow.
      THIS^^^
      If the cubes stay wet, you'll get this. I don't run NFT but I do use the Grodan delta cubes in my RDWC system and it's vital to make sure that the solution doesn't make contact with the cubes or it'll do exactly what you're getting.

WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Hi Spit, I had that happen to one of my seedlings on my current grow: too much water from drip emitter.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X