Unknown strain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown strain

Given seeds to start a grow for the 1st time in over 30 years. This plant is super dense and bushy compared to the others. New leaves start out as almost yellow with a tinge of red in the center but always change to dark green. Hope its a female.

The broad leaves tell us it is an Indica. Any more than that is a crap shoot. At least your unknown was a freebie. I've paid good money for some seeds germinating into plants of an enigmatic strain.

Comment

Yes starramus, I think you're right. It's most likely an Indica. Will be fun to see what it becomes. Have topped it and done a little LST so far.
      After this grow I will probably spring for some quality fem seeds from a reputable seller and see what I can do.

Comment

Hello JohnEmad, welcome to the GWE forum ! Mystress seeds are a blast to grow, they leave you in suspense all the way to the end LOL. It does present as an Indica couch . If I may ask what type of grow medium and who makes it and your water/feed schedule? I noticed a little water around the center of the plant. When you water does it come out of the bottom?

Comment

Hi Columbo,
          I am using an organic soil mix of my own making in a 5 gal. fabric pot. Soil ph.6. Water is reverse osmosis and ph of 7. I water when the soil is dry to my first knuckle and feed using Remo nutrients every second watering. Water does not drain well as soil is a bit heavy. Going to change that next grow. Lighting is a maxhydro 96 reflector on 18/6 timer but will probably add an HLG v2 135W to my 2x4x6 ft tent for the flowering. Temp runs at around 80F days and RH at 50/65 percent.
          Lots to learn for this new age of pot growing.
          Starting to see signs of sex in the plants and culled a male. All I want is 2 good females and we are in business.

Comment

• Colombo
            Colombo commented
            Editing a comment
            Try using tap water, it has trace minerals . RO water the minerals are removed. Try to get your ph up to at least 6.3, 6.5 ideal. this will help them thrive.

• JohnEmad
            JohnEmad commented
            Editing a comment
            appreciate the feedback. BTW the water has minerals added. Going to add something to raise soil PH as suggested.

Here are the plants from my first grow. 6 wks in. Broke a branch somehow and taped it and like magic, it is back up and growing again.
          Due to time constraints I won't be around much late in late August so will trigger the flowering with 12/12 next week. They are all Mystery strains and photoperiod. Been training somewhat differently for all plants.
          This is my training period as well . Will post again when relevant.
          Appreciate any feedback. This is a top notch forum. Glad to have found it.

Comment

• Colombo
            Colombo commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice looking grow! You should do fine with this one too ! Good Growing !

Started 13 unknown seeds and due to males, 1 runt and 1 plant fancied by the cat I am down to 3 females. My best guess is that 2 are Indica and 1 sativa.
          The small plant was started 2 weeks after the other 2 larger ones.
          Light is a max hydro reflector.(wish I had studied lighting a little more before getting it but it has done a decent job).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190525_193048.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	312328Click image for larger version  Name:	20190525_193028.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.54 MB ID:	312329Click image for larger version  Name:	20190525_193122.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.25 MB ID:	312330
          2'x4'x6' UnitFarm tent
          Grown in both plastic and fabric 5 gallon pots in my own soil mixture.
          Have a 4 inch vent fan with carbon filter and 2 other fans keeping things circulating.
          Avg temp now at 74F nights/80F days. RH between 45 to 60 percent.
          Have clones started for the 2 larger plants in case they turn out real good.
          Read through tons of growing journals and most of the training guides here.
          1 week into flowering cycle.
          Excited when I see the growth stretch and flowering beginning.
          Last edited by JohnEmad; 05-25-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

12 days into flowering.
            lowered RH to 50percent,
            temps steady 75 night/80 day.
            tops are starting to get a little sparkle on the leaves.
            everything looks healthy
            Me excited of course!
            Swaped out the maxhydro for the new 238W qantum board light. Expecting good results with this new LED tech.
            238W, 4000K full spectrum with IR added.
            Last edited by JohnEmad; 06-08-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• Colombo
              Colombo commented
              Editing a comment
              Keep doing what you are doing ! Looking Good !

Day 18, No longer defoliating. Raised the light twice since flowering began and keeping it at 20 inches.
            Buds are starting to form and growth has been steady.
            Had to raise the two indica plants about 6 inches to keep level with the sativa which is really stretching.
            Also my first look at trichomes up close with a hand held microscope balanced on an old tripod. Clear and present. So that's what to watch?! BTW the pictures are taken with my samsung G8.
            Time to get some supports in place for the future buds. Just in case they get heavy.
            Let's see... mason jars, more papers,... lol!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JohnEmad; 06-11-2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Flowering day 22,
              Added some 1/4 strength nutes 3 days ago with reservations due to living soil as growing medium. Sure enough noticed some yellowing on the very tip of fan leaves on all 3 plants. lesson learned. Good soil is enough. Flushed with ph-ed water and no further burning noticed.
              Temp 68F night/78F day, 60-45 RH night to day. Watering almost daily. Light at 14" as per manufacturers recommendation.
              The younger plant has caught up quickly with the others. The bushy Indica in the middle is the farthest into flowering. The sativa on the left looks good.
              Everything else going well.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	856.8 KB
ID:	315063Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	879.5 KB
ID:	315064Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	997.4 KB
ID:	315065Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	315067Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	315068Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	315070Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	315076 Just a few pics to share
                Last edited by JohnEmad; 06-11-2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Surprising what being too busy at work can do for plants.
                  Have a quick look once a day,. Check temp, RH, health, water as needed.
                  Then realize things are going well without too much interference...
                  Day 29 into flowering. Another 3 to 6 weeks will be fast with this schedule. Expecting good results for a first grow and with the tons of help found here.

Comment

Just a continuing update with the grow. Day 34 into flowering. Things seems good. Watering every second day about 1 gallon between the 3 plants.
                    temps 78/80 F days , 68 to 72F nights. RH 40/45 days and 45/55 RH nights. soil ph still high at 7.2 to 7.6 but flowers look frosty and growth is steady.
                    Just a few weeks more and we should be near harvest.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Day 38 of Flowering.

CRAP!!...Found some seeds forming in the flowers and after a thorough inspection discovered my largest plant is a hermie. Fox in the hen house. removed the hermie and cleaned the tent including everything in it with water and vinegar solution. rinsed and set it back up. Will continue the flowering till the end and hope for the best.
                      Setting up a small grow box for the hermie to see what it becomes as well.
                      I accidentally split the main stalk of the misguided plant 1 month ago and assume that may have triggered the male parts to form.

Thinking my motto is make tons of mistakes early and learn fast....

next grow...maybe Autopots system and scrog with fem seeds.

Comment

Week 6 plus of flowering.
                        temps 72F N/82F days, RH 55% N/ 40% days.
                        238 W Quantum Board 4000K LED with IR strip set at 18"
                        all grown in soil.
                        Checked trichomes with a handheld microscope on a tripod. Works pretty good, maybe 10 to 15% cloudy and the rest clear on all plants.
                        Plants are not huge but they are sticky and my wife says one smells like lemon and 2 like pine. The hermied plant is the stinkiest...in more ways then one. lol!
                        Still bud growth happening so leaving for maybe a couple more weeks or so for them to reach the 70% cloudy with some amber ...peak.
                        Took clippings of all plants and the clones are doing great under my mini green house setup outside.

Check out the pics of the 2 plants from the 2x4 tent if you like.

Happy Canada Day everyone.
                        Last edited by JohnEmad; 06-30-2019, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X