Is this airflow plan good and some odor questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this airflow plan good and some odor questions

Thanks to everyone for the help with the other questions. Started in a closet and it fits so nicely I decided to stick with it as the primary grow area for now. 24x48x72(usable height after accounting for light distance). Plants are looking good, 10 days from seed and leaves 5/6 are starting to enlarge.

The door has your standard 1" or whatever gap and I am thinking of cutting another 1 or 2" off of the bottom of the door all the way across. Then towards the top (not sure of the ideal height) I will put a strong "in wall / door" style fan which will pull air up from opening at the bottom and hit the plants with a breeze while exiting at the top. This should create negative pressure for passive intake.

I am not sure if the breeze will be enough or will it stay near the door? Maybe I could put a very small fan in the room blowing up and away from the front door and maybe to help guide air across the entire room. Thought about getting a duct and running 3ft out of a window, but now I am leaning towards just using odor eliminator. It will be time consuming and expensive for this (duct system) and I really don't want to deal with it just yet. The windows are small and built into a door, probably requires me to cut 2 to 4 windows into one large opening and might look weird if anyone starts looking over the fence.

If this works, would a small ozinator be enough to keep odors down? It can smell, just can't carry over and linger thru half the house. If ozinators suck then what about an automated spray system by the exhaust that pumps ona or simply putting ona gel or something behind the fan in the grow room? I could make something to fit gel right behind the fan so air pulls up, hits gel and exits from the grow room into the main room.

Maybe it's better to not worry about odor inside of the room and just get the main room where the fan is blowing into setup with whatever to nuetralize all odors. Most of the strains are low odor varieties which should help a bit.
    Last edited by MmmHmmml3; 04-27-2019, 07:07 PM.

Hello M Can you drop a photo by chance of your closet and door for a better understanding of what you want to do? Do you live in a home and if so do you have attic space above the closet?

Comment

Originally posted by Colombo View Post
      Hello M Can you drop a photo by chance of your closet and door for a better understanding of what you want to do? Do you live in a home and if so do you have attic space above the closet?
      Yes, a house and here are two photos. There is attic space, but I would run a duct out the window a couple feet away before running it thru the attic. I am open to other ideas with the attic though. Maybe exhaust straight into the attic and leave it? This setup won't be creating a bunch of moisture. Plan is to keep only 2 of the plants in here.

I found these fans that mount inside the door and don't leave gaps. Imagine a fan about 12-18" from the top of the door pulling air out of the closet. It would draw air in from the bottom opening.

The closet goes roughly 3ft above the bar the light hangs from. It is just easy to put it here for now and if they get within 18" from the bar then I will adjust. Attic is right above.

Comment

• Colombo
        Colombo commented
        Editing a comment
        As a KISS Grower, That was my thought as well, 8" inline duct fan direct into the attic so it stays stealth. Build a 2" high removable plywood floor painted black so it is above the bottom of the door opening leaving the front section open to receive air intake under the door. Drill 1 inch holes as needed for air flow at the back section of the floor for minimal light intrusion . Seal off the door sides and top from light intrusion and start growing. I would also bring the power supply from the attic so all you see is a closet door. Just my thoughts. Good Growing !!

My main concern with the attic is that I read extra humidity can cause issues, but I guess something smaller like this might not put enough air up their to be a problem. Have you sent to the attack and left the air up there before? Any experience with those automated misters or ozone device? I found a few really high rated ozone machines that are a decent price, but you need to send air out with them or it can cause issues. If there is constant airflow, let's say just kicking out of the grow room back into the main room from the top or something, it might move air too fast for the ozone device to really work. Maybe power cycles to kick an exhaust fan on every once in a while. It's starting to look like one of those things I am just going to have to experiment with a bit. It probably won't be as much of an issue on this first grow with 2 smaller plants, but I would like to attempt maximizing the space and going up as much as possible.

What is KISS Grower?

Comment

• PRIMO
        PRIMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Kiss= Keep It simple Stupid. No Offense meant, but you're over thinking it. I started with a 30x30 inch closet. Painted it white inside,cut a 4 inch hole thru the dry wall at the top into the 12x12 ft. tiny bedroom/storage room full of misc.crap "which is now my groom". A 4in. in line duct fan,4in. charcoal filter run thru the wall, You will need one. My door had a 1 in. gap which provided plenty enough air inflow, "never an odor in the next room" and helped keep temps. steady. A couple of small fans to breeze the air. So paint, fans, and filters, less than $100.00 Lowes and Amazon. Always P.h. your water. Find the tutorials on this site and study up. Grow Good!

• Colombo
        Colombo commented
        Editing a comment
        The moisture will never get high enough to bother anything. If you have an attic fan that also will remove any odor to the outside. I'am sure you will figure it out for what benefits you and your grow. An hour of work and you will be growing. Good Luck ! Good Growing !!

I find the smell depends on the strain. I grew some Moby Dick autos and I could bring them outside my tent to work on them. Crack open a window and a little bit of Fabreeze would cover the smell right up. My OG Kush plant however, I could barely open the tent to water them without drinking up the entire house! I use a 4” carbon filter system blowing straight outside from inside my tent and through my light.

My 2 cents.

Comment

• Colombo
        Colombo commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a dump box with fab softeners and wash machine crystals. Works great.

I found these a little while ago. Simple design, convenient and will always have a use one way or another. I thought something powerful is needed, but after calculating it, I can get away with fairly low CFM. I would love to find an air purifier or ozone machine that is proven to get rid of cannabis odor. This post is a little old, but I linked it in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.amazon.ca/AC-Infinity-AI.../dp/B009CO543S
      Last edited by MmmHmmml3; 05-06-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X