• Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Rdwc waterfall setup lines keep getting airlocked

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77425.jpg
Views:	1689
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	307498 Just curious if anyone has ever had any issues with the top 3/4 inch (waterfall) lines getting airlocked. Its a 12 site system split into 6 and 6 with a 950 gph pump pumping into the top threw the 3/4 lines with 90 elbows pointing down into the buckets. For some reason i always seem to have 2 buckets that wont be getting water and seem to be airlocked. You can hear the air girgling if ya listen at the bucket not flowing and if i plug off 4 on one side and force the air threw the other 2 then let off the 4 they will all flow for a bit but eventually one or 2 will stop again and just girgle. Seems to always be 1 on each side. Possible not enough flow need bigger pump but doesnt make sense why i can get them all to flow and then just one or two will stop which doesnt make me think undersized pump. Also seems people use smaller pumps than what i am using. Any advice appreciated thanks in advanceClick image for larger version

Name:	image_77425.jpg
Views:	1689
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	307498

Howdy HatRack, The flow of water (as with electricity) will follow the path of least resistance. With the distribution tubing all the same diameter, the flow is going to the first buckets which does not leave enough flow for the last buckets. Either balance the piping where all sites have an even amount by installing a manifold at the pump with even length lines to each bucket, or put some restriction in the flow lines at the buckets nearest to the pump. This could be done by changing the lines nearest to the pump with 1/2 inch lines (leave the last ones at the 3/4 inch) to produce some restriction to the flow, providing more flow to the last buckets.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost forgot, using a screw type clamp (on the outside of the tubing) could be used to squeeze down the cross section of the tubing, reducing the flow to the bucket. If You use the clamps, place them at the lines going into each bucket, You may not need to install a clamp on the last buckets in the line.

• HatRack
      HatRack commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey DW2 thanks for reply. All good ideas may have to try something here and i totally agree with you but it doesnt seem to be the case here as its not the last buckets getting starved it usually one of the first ones in the line or one of the middle ones actually, the last ones are always getting the most flow. I may try pinching off the last ones in line though and see what happens. It doesnt seem like a path of least resistance thing because whatever bucket stops flowing will actually not flow at all and you can hear the water just flowing by and literally nothing coming out and like i said always seems to be first in line or middle row and i can force the water out all of them by plugging the rest and getting the one that wasnt flowing to flow again and will stay flowing for awhile but eventually just stops all together and girglles by.

HatRack , That is strange, one would expect the lines nearest to the pump to have the best flow. I looked at the photo that You posted and I see, what looks like a red valve, running vertically down to an elbow. Is this a drain valve (it appears to be open)?. the only thing that I can think of doing is to restrict (either by squeezing the line or installing a valve) the flow to the buckets that are filling up first and work back towards the pump until a relatively even flow is obtained (or at least, one that You can live with).
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• HatRack
      HatRack commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya that is my drain line and valve is open in pic not normally. I tried putting a hose clamp around various spots with littel to no help. Thinkin I may have to do some sort of manifold like the next guy here commented. Not really sure how to do that though.

If u could use some of that 2 inch pvc u got for ya drain to make a manifold running where the black like runs between the buckets then pipe off that u can pipe into the 2 inch with the .75. This will cause the 2 inch to fill first then give even presser to all buckets the same way the manifold on the air pump works water has some unique property's diffrent from electricity
    Last edited by abadtrip; 04-27-2019, 04:41 PM.
    It's 4:19 u got a minute?

Comment

I get where your goin with the idea of a manifold any pics or ideas appreciated. Nor sure how ya make 2 inch pvc and 3/4 line work together. Maybe my home depot which is about all I have is lackin but I can't picture it. Any pics by chance of what your talkin about.

Comment

hey HatRack,

you could try using a reducer insert at the end... 3/4" to something smaller

https://www.google.com/search?q=3/4"+reducer

and an example: see attached image
        GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
        2x CDMH 315W lights
        870m3/hr fan
        8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

Thanks for reply's guys I think I got Er figured out and for anyone who cares this is what I'm gonna try. Tee off my pump into two of these, one for each side and then 6 equal length lines off each manifold. It's gotta work lol. Thank's for the help everyone Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190428-033846.png Views:	1 Size:	201.8 KB ID:	307683

Comment

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Where there is a will, there is a way (and maybe some duct tape! LOL)

hey HatRack,

As an idea to test before making 'big changes' to the system,
          try putting in those barb adapters first at the end, and see if that makes a difference.
          I think you may need 4 as well, one for each last bucket of the 2 main branches.

you're running 3/4 waterfall lines at the top...

other idea:
          3/4 -> 3/8 reducers for all the buckets.

would allow your waterpump to build up a little pressure in the main water line to prevent airlocks forming.
          GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
          2x CDMH 315W lights
          870m3/hr fan
          8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X