Greenhouse recommendations in Colorado area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenhouse recommendations in Colorado area

I'd like to put in a greenhouse now that the snow has finally (?) stopped flying here in CO. Anyone have any good tips on this? I'd like a freestanding structure, in the 6-10' height, probably 6 x 8, and lockable to satisfy the legal requirements. Ideally a bit obscured, not the nearly-glass panels, and a concrete slab.

I'd be happy to pay to have it installed, but was also looking at pouring my own slab and what kind of effort that might be. Can anyone else speak to that kind of effort? I figure it'd take me at least two weekends for prep of the area (leveling and putting in 2x4's) and pouring the concrete, and then another weekend or so to construct and fasten a kit.

I also cannot seem to turn up a whole lot of residential greenhouse vendors/installers. The few I've found that list prices are asking quite a bit, and that's even before the cost of installation! Anyone have any good results from a vendor(s) they can recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=greenhouses&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 But you'll have to grunt it up yourself. Beware of ShelterLogic houses. Our 12X20 came with sheeting not containing a UV inhibitor, and had to be replaced after 1&1/2 years. It really sucked. And now I get to disassemble it, and move it to our acreage.

Comment

47090172 I believe I have seen this on the forum. Good growing !!

Comment

Originally posted by Colombo View Post
        47090172 I believe I have seen this on the forum. Good growing !!

Do you know if that's lockable?

Comment

Check this Greenhouse #702. you may want to ask Spidermite about his set up. Most are zipper but you can add a lockable door panel at the end if needed. You can also google DIY Greenhouses and if your somewhat handy create one of your own. Just a thought.

Comment

Lots of kits come with locking doors. Can home growers use greenhouses? I assumed it had to be secure indoor. I’d love to get a diy greenhouse like this:
            With its aluminum frame, tempered glass, pitch roof, and ridge cresting, the Parkside greenhouse creates a style as strong as its structure.

Comment

Hm, on further thought, instead of pouring an entire slab, maybe I'll dig a trench around edges, pour some concrete into the trench to form "footers", lay some blocks on top - maybe two layers of cinder block, connected with mortar, then try to fasten the base of one of those 6x8 and 7' high (rigid) ones. Then maybe try to use squares for the interior floor to keep the vermin from digging up into the greenhouse.

Any thoughts on that?

Comment

I purchased a 8x10 home greenhouse the problems I've experienced is controlling the light ,dark time for flowering is a BIG issue for me . Along with light bugs neat humidity air control big expense , I would say mine was a failure lol 3,000 failure ... I now grow in a spare room in my home so so much easier . Seriously I would consider the expense hassles your gonna experience . I still use the greenhouse for other growing needs I have fresh veggies year around , grow all my flowers haven't had to buy these things for a 2 years greenhouse is awesome but would really consider it not the best option for Maryjane . Just my experience . Would love to hear otherwise advice growing MM in greenhouse ..

Comment

The GF is wanting a GH, thing is here it can get 110*F in the summer (many days over 90*F), storms can have 100 mph winds without a tornado (50 and 60 mph gusts today), not to mention high humidity. These are the biggest issues I see here, keeping it cool enuf to grow inside, and keeping it period. I would not expect any to withstand a tornado hit,,,, but I would want it to withstand 100 mph straight line winds else maintenance would be overwhelming,,,

Wado I find it hard to control the sun also, and would go with the seasons. The thought here is to keep the cost of the grow down, and buy new lights for the winter with the savings! LOL I can dream right,,,

Comment

• Colombo
                    Colombo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello Rwise, This may sound crazy, but what if you mound dirt around the sides (keep temps cool) up to a hight that still allows plenty of natural light but reduces the wind resistance across the structure. Maybe even underground. https://insteading.com/blog/underground-greenhouse/ Just a thought. You could grow all year !
                    Last edited by Colombo; 05-03-2019, 07:43 PM. Reason: added content

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X