equipment advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! equipment advice

Over the years ive acquired a few different timers and a few different power strips...some I cant even find. I have been happy with NONE! I would love a powerstrip with timer that is the bombdiggity. Ill spend a few extra bones for a quality piece if someone could be so kind as to recommend one. I will be currently perusing amazon and ebay but I will wait to see what you knowledgeable folks think.I run a 1000w hps. Thanks a lot. ( ive recently bought everything nebula recommends from ph pen to lux meter etc. but didn't see this item). Much obliged to everyone!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2019, 05:08 PM.

I always just use the cheap timer that come with the lights. None have failed.

Comment

I wouldn’t put a MH/HPS on a strip I I could help it
      On average they pull about 5-7 amps but I guess really depends on your. Ballast but that my Two cents from a electrician

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you recommend I get the timer to turn the light off and on then?..it needs to be big enough to cover a hps without blowing out. I never have problems with wires or breakers..just need a timer that wont short out or break and hermie my plants

• George4green
        George4green commented
        Editing a comment
        Putting it on a timer is no big deal they should be rated high enough. All I was saying is if you plug the timer controlling your hps, I myself would not plug the timer in a power strip I would run an extension cord or something just for my light and then have also a power strip for my fans and everything else. If you do need to put the timer on the power strip try to plug it in closest to the wire coming out of the strip( where you plug it in the wall) that way the heat from the amp draw of the light will not be going thru the whole strip. Some cheep strips burn up easy

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Great tips..thanks alot

Originally posted by Mud View Post
      Over the years ive acquired a few different timers and a few different power strips...some I cant even find. I have been happy with NONE! I would love a powerstrip with timer that is the bombdiggity. Ill spend a few extra bones for a quality piece if someone could be so kind as to recommend one. I will be currently perusing amazon and ebay but I will wait to see what you knowledgeable folks think.I run a 1000w hps. Thanks a lot. ( ive recently bought everything nebula recommends from ph pen to lux meter etc. but didn't see this item). Much obliged to everyone!

That rig-up looks like a fire hazard.

You are running 1 Kw lighting and that's going to be about a 10 or amp draw, for that you want a single 14 gauge copper cord from the outlet to the ballast, no breakout box's or strips. As for a timer you want one rated for at least 15 amps anything less and you will have a reduced life and it may burn up.

Also note most residential outlets are protected by a 15 amp breaker which gives you a maximum of 1.8 Kw but by code for continuous use that shall be de-rated to 1.5 Kw so should ever want to bump up the lighting you will need to find a second circuit to run the other light from.

MJT

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        None of that stuff is running its just thrown there for pic...i run my 1000w on one circuit and ac & humidifer& and fan on another . thanks for the reply thats great stuff to know.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X