Water acidification with plants in flower - air pump inside the growing space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

morning update:
    last night before lights out, pH was 6.4.

I left it there thinking the pH drop would return again, but less dramatic.

turns out this morning just after lights on - pH = 7.4

it has gone up.

from reading on pH drift, tending upwards is a good sign....

Have adjusted it down a bit... 6.3 now.

also observed the water being murkier now after a night... i can only assume that that is the voodoo juice and sensizym at work.

ppm is 1090 after adjusting the pH.
    Last edited by FlyingDutchPaddy; 03-30-2019, 07:14 AM. Reason: ppm, ph and murky water.
    GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
    2x CDMH 315W lights
    870m3/hr fan
    8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like things are getting better now. Remember to keep the water temps low. That’s the only way to avoid future rot.

I'm considering moving to rdwc for my next grow. (Hand watering Coco has just become too much for me.) Your trials and tribulations are super helpful to learn from! -- Subscribed.
    I'm pretty curious about the water temp since that might be an issue for me in the warmer months. You might consider getting a cheap aquarium thermometer and dropping it in there to confirm the temp. I have an infrared thermometer gun and I use it to read everything in my grow room, and tons of stuff around the house generally. A great weapon to add to the arsenal.

I have the 774 model.
    3rd Grow - Coco
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...crop-coco-grow

Comment

Hey Mike, glad to have you along :-)

After 2 days away I was fearing the worst for my plants... turns out there was nothing to be afraid of... :-)
      Just before I left, i pH'ed to 6.1 'to be safe'.

pH at 6.0
      ppm = 1150
      when I came back.

water was much clearer as well.

A chart I found a few days back on 420magazine about water level/EC/pH: https://www.420magazine.com/communit...1-jpg.1609412/
      it would appear that my plants are releasing nutes...

as water level is stable and pH is fairly stable, but ppm (EC) is slowly rising... i may need to add something to the water to raise the ppm. (I have epsom salt that could do it, would increase the Mg content as well)

i can understand why the water level is fairly static, I've trimmed a fair amount of roots away that were affected by root rot.

a quick check of the roots of both plants did reveal that new roots were growing, and so far the roots look good - no browning from rot.
      2x CDMH 315W lights
      870m3/hr fan

Comment

Update!

pH has been dropping much more slowly since water change & system clean - good thing.
        yesterday I got a 3m long 8mm air hose to connect my air pump to outside the tent.

have a feeling that the makeshift 4mm tubing that i ducktaped together was a bit small for the air pump - pump felt much warmer to the touch compared to running with the (normal fit) 8mm hose as it it now.

Lesson here is: a too smal air intake hose -> more work for the pump to suck in air -> warmer air that gets bubbled into the water!

Speaking of which... i suspect that having run with that smaller air intake hose has had an adverse effect on the water - roots are still looking well and growing but the water doesnt smell as good as before - has a more earthly smell to it.

will need to change water & clean system this weekend again.

had an idea I'll have to work out / construct some time:

a bucket with a length of air tubing thats cooled by water in a water bucket or champagne cooler.
        rough sketch attached.

pH is 5.8 , ppm = 1160 before lights out.
        Last edited by FlyingDutchPaddy; 04-04-2019, 04:16 PM. Reason: clarified sketch
        2x CDMH 315W lights
        870m3/hr fan

Comment

• LurkingInTheGrass
          LurkingInTheGrass commented
          Editing a comment
          Clear airline or opaque?
          (I don't recall if it had been previously mentioned)

best thing I did was change out clear air lines for black ones

• FlyingDutchPaddy
          FlyingDutchPaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          longer air tube -> bigger air pump; i get that.

tube itself is 'clear', but the part going outside the tent has been taped up in ducktape to be opaque to light.

after the airpump the tubes going into the buckets are indeed black, about 1m in length from distribution point to airstone.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Might be better for the air line to coil around the OD of the water bottle rather than the ID of the bucket. You can coil it tightly so you don lose any surface area for cooling.

changed water yesterday.
        cleaned system first with H2O2.
        cleaned out water tubes (as i've seen with voodoo & sensizym they can get blocked after a while)

pH = 6.4
        ppm = 1110

did a small DIY attempt to get water 'circulation' going in the main reservoir... seems to be working as there's much more movement in the water, while still plenty of water going to each plant..
        sketch below.

Si - 90ml
        CalMag - 30ml
        Micro - 30ml
        Gro - 15 ml
        Bloom - 45ml

a sprinkeling of epsom salts

Voodoo juice - 40ml
        Sensizym - 40ml

plants are starting to show pistles :-)

2x CDMH 315W lights
        870m3/hr fan

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking much better today.

• FlyingDutchPaddy
          FlyingDutchPaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          noticed pH had gone up a bit... 6.7

have adjusted down to 6.2 over 1 hour time.

been a couple of days... Update.

have purchased a 'cooking thermometer'.... does the range... and can use that for the BBQ as well .

pH has been very stable at 6.3 -> 6.1 over 5 days since I added that smaller tube with 3 holes just above the waterpump (see sketch above).
        air temp ranging between 17 - 21 C
        RH between 45% - 55%

water temperature... measured today at around 19C (66F) - almost the same as air temp.
        water has cleared up as well... was a bit 'cloudy / murky' for 2 days but thats cleared up.

plants are looking good & healthy...

getting a but bushy though, so tomorrow at water change i'll give them a mild defoil, get those bud sites back in the light...
        2x CDMH 315W lights
        870m3/hr fan

Comment

Weekly water change + system cleaning... with pictures of before and after defoil. (and roots of each plant)

week 6 of flower, 18 weeks of life since seed of unknown strain.

thorough clean of entire system with H2O2.
          tubes, hoses, waterpump, buckets.
          let it recirculate with 30L of water (200ml H2O2 12% to sterilise) for 2 hrs.

plants had a mild defoil.

pH at 6.2
          ppm at 1070.
          water temp at 18C

air temp 18C
          RH 47%

slightly different nutrient mix this time - was reading into optimal NPK ratios.
          seems 1-3-2 is a good NPK ratio for early/mid bloom (https://www.zamnesia.com/cannabis-gr...107-npk-ratios)

in a spreadsheet based on the calculation method on https://oaksterdamuniversity.com/com...-n-p-k-ratios/

Micro - 25ml
          Bloom - 75ml

to give a NPK ratio of 1 - 3 - 2.6

still 30ml CalMag, 90ml Si+ and 40ml sensizym. (no voodoo juice this time)

probably need a new thread for NPK ratio discussion...
          2x CDMH 315W lights
          870m3/hr fan

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X