Earthworm or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earthworm or ?

One week old seedling was doing great and next thing I know it started to become sick ! I checked everything all soils measurements just fine ,
    started digging in the dirt and there it was ! Not 1 but 2 of em they love to eat roots !!

Looks like a couple of grubs. Beetle larvae. Are you growing outside?

Comment

• Reedseed
      Reedseed commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I’m growing outside ! But this is the first I see these things

Those are grubs from Japanese Beetles. You can use Neem oil and saturate the ground around the plants. Dont spray the plants until they are bigger. They will kill your plants and fast.

You can try to attract more birds to the area, moles eat them, and a few predator insects will eat them. The adults can strip a plant very fast. The grubs can eat the roots fast.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Grub X, I beleave it’s spread like weed and feed.lol

Comment

• Colombo
        Colombo commented
        Editing a comment
        We call them Cut Worms as they come to the surface and cut through the soft stalk as well as eating the roots. I use Grub X first till mid march and second til first wk of April both lite applications. Works !! No effect on plant growth !

You can also put a couple of toothpicks or chopsticks on either side of the plant stems, when the grubs come check out the plant. They run into the wood first and since they can't chew through that, they'll move on. I lost a lot of peppers my first year gardening because of those little bastards.
      ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Reedseed View Post
        One week old seedling was doing great and next thing I know it started to become sick ! I checked everything all soils measurements just fine ,
        started digging in the dirt and there it was ! Not 1 but 2 of em they love to eat roots !!
        If you haven't trashed that seedling it is possible to re-root it. I did it a couple of months ago, and was shocked that it worked. My seedling was even younger than yours.
        I did it with a rapid rooter.

Comment

• Colombo
          Colombo commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL, when I read this post the first thing I thought of was your plant and the cricket cut off and the reroot

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X