Liquid organic nutrients in coco_ grow summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquid organic nutrients in coco_ grow summary

OK, the harvest has been completed and hung to dry. 15 weeks from seed to harvest, Results follow:

The nutrients used were produced to meet OIM standards.
    The products were produced by
    Vegamatrix_ Grow and Bloom (base nutrients) and Boost (Cal/Mag supplement), all Vegamatrix nutrients are derived from plant products only.
    Advanced Nutrients_Voodoo Juice, Piranha Grow and Bloom (base nutrients), B52, Cal/Mag Extra, Bud Candy, Big Bud, Ancient Earth, Mother Earth, Sensizym & Flawless Finish (derived from both plant and animal based nutrients).

Application_alternated the base Grow & Bloom nutrients every other day as appropriate for each stage of growth. For instance the Vegamatrix one day and the Advanced Nutrients the next. Used them at recommended levels unless signs of nutrient burn began to appear, then backed off to half strength for 2-3 waterings. Used all other supplements as recommended by manufacturers schedule. About two weeks before I started the flush the nutrients were cut back to 1/2-3/4 strength.

With the organic Advanced Nutrient solutions I had to bring the PH up 1.5-2.5 points rather than needing to lower it 1-1.5 points as I have in the past using mineral based nutrients designed for coco. Our water is PH 7.2-7.4 without adjustment.
    The Piranha Juice brings the PH down to 4.5- 5 PH…the Vegamatrix Nutrients are basically neutral and only minor adjustments with PH are needed if your water is between 5.5-6.5 before adding the nutrients and you’re growing in a coco based medium.

The difference between the two manufacturers resulted in having to use both PH up and PH down. Which was a bit of a hassle.
    After two weeks of fusing with this I decided to preset the PH in two different 10 gallon containers of water. I set the PH for the Vegamatrix between 5.8-6.5 and the one used with the Advanced Nutrients to 7.5-7.8. Then once the nutrients were added only a little if any adjustments were required before application.
    Cal/Mag Xtra and Mother Earth both have high levels of nitrogen so its easy to create a nitrogen toxic environment if you use too
    much of these in combination with the Piranha Juice. The Boost has a lower amount of N so it can be applied with every watering as a Cal/Mag supplement. I also used the Cal/Mag Extra but applied it only once a week.

About the fourth week some of the plants started showing signs of light nutrient burn_ likely due to full strength nutrients… so it is possible to over fertilize even with the organics, but not as easily as when mineral based nutrients are used at full strength. There seems to be more natural “buffering” with the organics.
    When growing in coco its necessary to use a cal/mag supplement to get the most from the other base nutrients.
    I wasn’t sure how much would be needed when using the liquid organic nutrients. It seems that using the Cal/Mag Extra once a week and the Boost every watering worked well.

7 days before harvest I decided to use a flushing agent to flush with the flush process.
    People say that using organics produces better tasting buds than mineral nutrients and finishing agents are suppose to help enhance flavor by removing more excess minerals than a simple water flush by providing chelates that help break down and flush out these excess minerals, without starving your plants.

I decided to try this, hopefully further enhancing the possible benefits of improved aroma and flavor.

Now that the harvest is done, we have to wait for the cure to set in and then the taste tests begin!

Light supply was LED with two VRPRx lights by Fluence over a 4x6' canopy. The lights were lowered to enhance trichome production the last two weeks. Humidity was lowered to 30%. Heat went up but was able to keep it between 70-80 F, but after a week long flush some heat, light and nutrient damage became evident but no signs of degradation in flower production obvious.

Photos of the three strains follow_
    Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
    liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X