Grow diaries - picture scrubbing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow diaries - picture scrubbing?

Even though I'm midway through my grow, I thought I might post some pics, but I wonder about safety/privacy? What steps do others take before posting pics to remove metadata, etc.?

Howdy jackhoffa, I had similar concerns about posting photos, but Ms. Nebula said that the sensitive data embedded in the photos are 'scrubbed' out before being posted on the site. With that and my tiring to avoid catching any shipping labels and other stuff in the photos, no ones has 'busted down my door' , so far.
    Remember, " Only the paranoid will survive!" (LOL)
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Just because your paranoid, doesn’t mean there not out to get u !

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
        RagWeedDWC commented
        Editing a comment
        Well Said, I grew up with a grandfather and dad that made and ran moonshine. You can never be to careful, or check to often.

I do know that the picture information is scrubbed on similar systems and I have checked here by uploading pictures and then downloading to verify. I'm no geek and I'm sure there are other ways, but it is clean to my paranoid level.
      Second thing (I'm paranoid) is I use the built in Windows tools to scrub. Sorry for all the copy paste, but typist I'm not. This information came from the Norton site. How Do I See If My Photos Have EXIF Metadata Attached?

Luckily, viewing and deleting EXIF metadata from photos is relatively simple. Here’s how to view the data in Windows:
      • Right-click the image file.
      • Select “Properties” from the right-click menu.
      • Click the “Details” tab at the top of the “Properties” dialog box.

The information listed under “Details” is the metadata that will travel along with your photo when you save it, email it, or post it online. How Do I Get Rid of EXIF Metadata?

Windows Explorer makes it easy to delete EXIF metadata from one photo or an entire batch of photos at once. Follow these steps:
      • Open the folder containing your image files.
      • Select all the files you want to delete EXIF metadata from.
      • Right-click anywhere within the selected fields and choose “Properties.”
      • Click the “Details” tab.
      • At the bottom of the “Details” tab, you’ll see a link titled “Remove Properties and Personal Information.” Click this link.
      • Windows will ask whether you want to make a copy of the photo with this information removed, or if you want to remove the information from the original. Choose the option you prefer and click “OK.”

In some cases, Windows may have difficulty removing GPS coordinate locations from a file. If this happens, consider downloading a third-party tool for removing EXIF metadata. Metability QuickFix is a free product that will remove GPS coordinates and other metadata from photos. It’s even easier to use than Windows: just drag the photo files into the program, then click “Quick Fix.” When you check the “Properties” of these files in Windows after running them through QuickFix, you should see an empty dialog box.
      Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
      A tale of two seeds
      Batter Up Sour Deisel
      Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
      New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
      Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Another way (that I was told about) is to use a 'screen grabit' program that only 'catches' the display on the screen. When One checks the 'properties' of the image, the gps and other data is not there any more.

• RagWeedDWC
        RagWeedDWC commented
        Editing a comment
        That is also a good way to just grab the photos

I'm not worried so much about the authorities busting down my door - my state happens to be one of the free states when it comes to cannabis. But there are the feds (in the event an administration like Trump's decides to go rogue on the free states, and not to get too political, there are many indications of him and his administration being vindictive toward certain states, like California) and also I just don't want to broadcast it to everyone, either, because it's really not the business of everyone.

I figure an ounce of caution is warranted, I suppose.

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Paranoia has nothing to do with politics, only survival!

Staying under the radar is a full time job, stealth’s the key, to not getting ripped off by bandits, or feds

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X