Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Dream - End of Week 11: I have no idea what to do at this point

Greetings!

This is end of Week 11. You can see my End of Week 10 post here https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-10#post289120 .

The light has been set to 12/12 for the past week and I'm seeing individual calyx's on most of the places where calyx's would be expected to grow. The plant is still robust and healthy. I'm keeping up with the 4-or-so gallons of water the plant is using per week, but it's posing another issue. The humidity in the tent is consistently between 80 and 90%. I've got a fan, ducting, etc. ordered and it should be here Tuesday. I will install it Thursday and that will get air moving from the room, to the tent, to the outside world. This should allow me to get a handle on the humidity issue. Hopefully it will also help get a handle on temperature in the res. I'm having to ice it to keep it from going through the roof.

The other challenge I'm looking at has to do with the biomass generated by this plant. I know that at some point, I will probably want to lollipop the plant, but in the meantime, I've got all these leaves shading the interior of the plant and some of the bud sites around the edge. I also have a lot of untrained stems, some of them very robust looking, that have cropped up from the primary stems on the plant. I would take those off, but I have read that one does not want to do things like that when the plant is in flower.

Also, some of these sturdy-looking stems have what I take to be bud sites on them. I'm reluctant to take off those bud sites, though I know that it might be best to sacrifice some of those sites which might not produce worthwhile buds. I have no idea how to distinguish worthwhile bud sites from those which are not. What is the wisdom out there? Do I leave it alone or snip-snip?

Finally, I'm still sweating vertical space. It looks like vertical growth has slowed down a bit, but that could just be wishful thinking, nevertheless, there is a possibility that this thing won't just jam itself against the roof. But even with that, I don't think I have enough light in the tent to really serve the whole plant.

This grow was planned for a small, autoflowering plant. I was given the seed by someone who made it clear that he wasn't totally sure about the seed, but it's my first grow, so I figured it really didn't matter much what the seed was. That's still true, but it's gone really well up to this point and I'm hopeful that it works out well in the end, though I realize compromises in yeld will be made, I'm trying to do the best that I can and hope to actually have some harvest from this plant.

With that, here are some pics. First a growcam shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Week 11 Screenshot.png
Views:	270
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	290915

Here is the canopy. Note the vertical space left.

Name:	BD Week 11 full 20190210_121434.png
Views:	291
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	290916

The top of the plant.

Name:	BD Week 11 canopy 20190210_121434.png
Views:	287
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	290913

A close up.

Name:	BD Week 11 closeup 20190210_121434.png
Views:	314
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	290914

The stem at the top.

Name:	BD Week 11 stem 20190210_121434.png
Views:	272
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	290917

So, that's where we are. All-in-all, it's going pretty well. I just have no idea what I should do at this point to move things along.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
    Greetings! Update on my first grow. The plant is really big and bushy. It's starting to crowd itself in the tent. The good news is that I definitely have
    Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

My suggestions are:
    take pictures in natural light
    continue the previous topic because once you add a comment it goes to the first place on the forum, so we can see your progress
    i remember the previous post, you can tell that your plant is stretching. Careful with the light not to burn it. And if it’s auto flower, give at least 18 hours light a day, if I was you I’d put it on 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by Budler View Post
      My suggestions are:
      take pictures in natural light
      Yeah, there really is none. As much as I like available light, I normally just color correct the images, but that's kind of beside the point at this juncture. I'm concerned about the fact that the plant is crowding the tent. I'm not sure what the best approach to making the best of this situation would be.

continue the previous topic because once you add a comment it goes to the first place on the forum, so we can see your progress
      If I had it to do over again, I would start a conventional diary here. I didn't fine this forum early enough to do that, so I'm making individual posts and for simplicity, linking the previous post in subsequent posts. Is that really a big deal?

i remember the previous post, you can tell that your plant is stretching. Careful with the light not to burn it. And if it’s auto flower, give at least 18 hours light a day, if I was you I’d put it on 24/7.
      As determined above, this is a photoperiodic plant (surprise!). It's under 12/12 to try to get it to start flowering before it jams itself against the light. And it's going to jam itself against the light.

Name:	Week 11 Screenshot 2.png
Views:	281
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	291163
      Third grow - Northern Lights and Red Cheese (Southern Oregon Seeds) , ​​​​DWC hydro

Comment

• madams9
        madams9 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did a bit of LST when the plant was small. You can't tell it now, but the plant is essentially growing in a hollow circle. At least the main, heavy stems have been moved away from the middle. Otherwise, the plant would be a good 6" to 8" taller. Beyond that, there isn't much space to move the branches away from the center. It's a crowded tent.

• Colombo
        Colombo commented
        Editing a comment
        Just out of curiosity, how is your light hooked to the top of your tent? I folded the hang strap on mine in half and attached it back on the light and picked up 6"-8" of space in hight. Adding all the hangers and pulleys you lose a lot of hight room.

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking nice, yes she's a photo, keep her on 12-12.
        HappyGrowing

Just out of curiosity, how is your light hooked to the top of your tent?
      Hey Colombo, I have the usual block - and - tackle above the light but it's all bypassed. The light is actually hung from the roof of the tent with velcro cable ties. It's as close to the roof as I can get it. Would show a pic, but I'm at work.

Comment

• Colombo
        Colombo commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely in a tight spot. Here's a thought, build a 24" high box the same size as your tent bottom, line it with foil, attach the tent to the top of the box. cut out bottom of tent and you just added 24" to your grow. If you cut the bottom short you will have material to overlap the sides. Screw frame into top of box. The rest of the tent stays the same. No moving lights or fans. Just a thought, add to the bottom.

Thanks D.A.A.S.69!

Comment

Originally posted by madams9 View Post

Hey Colombo, I have the usual block - and - tackle above the light but it's all bypassed. The light is actually hung from the roof of the tent with velcro cable ties. It's as close to the roof as I can get it. Would show a pic, but I'm at work.
        Sounds radical, but thought taken.

Edit: Wrong quote, but you get my drift.
        Last edited by madams9; 02-14-2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Beautiful plant. Your doin great.

I grew a blue dream autoflower in 3gal of ffof soil awhile back and heres a picture of it. Got over 10oz off it . i bent it over or it would have been6ft tall. Thats a 1/2 gal milk jug for comparison.

Cant wait to see it finish.

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            That was a nice one.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Mr. Furley.

Originally posted by Mud View Post
          Beautiful plant. Your doin great.

I grew a blue dream autoflower in 3gal of ffof soil awhile back and heres a picture of it. Got over 10oz off it . i bent it over or it would have been6ft tall. Thats a 1/2 gal milk jug for comparison.

Cant wait to see it finish.
          That looks pretty spectacular. I was under the impression that autos didn't get that big. I don't have high hopes on this grow. I'm sure I'll harvest something off of it, but this grow was chock full of surprises. Presently, I have to deal with the crowding issue. I can't afford another light at this point, so I'll have to thin it out again. Treacherous once it's flowing I know, but I have bud sites that need light.

I'll cross my fingers and keep everybody posted. I'll probably take pics and post up some info Sunday. May have to thin it out first.

Thanks for the info. Again, it looks like it was a spectacular grow.

Cheers!

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks and i didnt mean to sound braggy ... I just wanted u to know that plant is gonna be a nice one n well worth the aggravation of bending or supercropping for light distance. Have a great day.

Guest, I didn't take it that way. I find it encouraging. Watching other people do this stuff assures me that I can do it too. I just have to find conditions, equipment and compromises that maximizes my effort. But that's all just experience, you have to do stuff to get it to happen.

I'm working on it. Going to post another thread this evening. People may find something to criticize, but I'm making compromises to get a photoperiodic plant to grow in an environment conceived for an autoflowering plant. I'm learning a lot.

Cheers!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X